SiouxSports.com Forum

CC @ UND -- Friday Gameday

stoneySIOUX

1 hour ago, SIOUXHKYFRK said:

What's with the high school sounding horn to end the period?

I was wondering about the music when somebody goes to the penalty box.  People didn’t like it at the World Juniors, and don’t think it plays any better to a college crowd.

15 minutes ago, Feff said:

I wouldn't go that far. First half of the season Scheel was outstanding and won us some games. Getting him back on track is important. Thome has played well and deserves split time but getting Scheel back to first half form gives the team the best shot. 

Thome needs to start tonight. He's earned that. If he plays well again tonight he needs to start vs DU on 2/14. Then you go from there. It's not like Scheel didn't have multiple chances since the break to avoid this current situation.

• Upvote 2

What's unique about this situation is I agree with both @Feff and @Oxbow6. Put me in the camp that believes Scheel getting back on track and getting back to his first half form gives this team the best chance come March / April. Going into this weekend I thought Thome deserved and needed to start Friday and then unless he was lights out, go with Scheel Saturday. Well, he was lights out. I was so impressed with his poise, how structured he looked, never out of place, always squared up. He looked like first half Scheel. The rest of this post will read like @Oxbow6's, need to go with Thome tonight and if he plays well, he starts again. It should be his net until he proves otherwise.

• Upvote 2

IMO, UND did a good job of rushing with speed and cutting to the middle of the ice - they just had trouble getting anything past "Vermin".  Got to stop trying to beat him 5 hole, cause that aint working. 

Thankfully, Thome was just as good.  I would probably give Thome another start, and then see how the week of practice goes to decide next Friday's starter.

I’ve never been a goalie and I have a couple of friends who were, I’ve never been close with an elite goalie. All I know about them is that they can be in a world by themselves. UND is fortunate to not only have two really, really good goalies, but we also have arguably one of the be best goalie coaches in hockey, not only college hockey but hockey. Karl will be a head coach some day and could jump up a level in that position during his career. Saying he is that good may be my homer bias, but he is good. His knowledge and input will be and has been huge for this team. It will be important for the remainder of this season and next year that we keep both goalies at the top of their games.  In my opinion they must both play in games from here on out, not saying every other game, but they must both play and not in a way where they wait for one to fail before they bring the other guy in. In my opinion Thome played his way into another start, whether it is tonight or next week that should be up to Karl and Berry! 

the thing that stood out to me, about Thome, was his calm demeanor in net.  one shot, in particular, was an absolute screen shot, in which he calmly flipped his glove out and made the save.  that shot had top corner, glove side written all over it, and he made the save like it was a wednseday  afternoon practice.  not sure how he even saw the puck.

1 hour ago, 1972 said:

the thing that stood out to me, about Thome, was his calm demeanor in net.  one shot, in particular, was an absolute screen shot, in which he calmly flipped his glove out and made the save.  that shot had top corner, glove side written all over it, and he made the save like it was a wednseday  afternoon practice.  not sure how he even saw the puck.

What I've seen from him throughout his career here is that he's athletic, but had a tendency to get out of position and give up fat rebounds. He did neither last night. Absolutely solid. Never once did he over play his positioning and I can only recall one ugly rebound into the slot. Awesome stuff. Definitely earned the start tonight, IMO.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

What I've seen from him throughout his career here is that he's athletic, but had a tendency to get out of position and give up fat rebounds. He did neither last night. Absolutely solid. Never once did he over play his positioning and I can only recall one ugly rebound into the slot. Awesome stuff. Definitely earned the start tonight, IMO.

Gotta agree. One of the biggest improvements he has made is his ability to play the puck. It seemed like in the past he was just shooting it around the boards hoping it would end up on a UND player's stick. Now he is looking before he makes a play and the puck usually goes to one of the defensemen.