SiouxSports.com Forum

Winter weather 2019-20

NoiseInsideMyHead

26 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

IIRC I read this October was the coldest October in F-M in the past 30 years and thru October in GF it's the wettest first 10 months of the year ever recorded.

Weather has been all kinds of extremes since this wet cycle started in the fall of 1993.
That year my father bought tracks for the combine to get the crop off.
Devils Lake has risen to near natural spillage levels in the time frame.
GF got wet in 1997.
The RR Valley has had many high water years, Fargo has had many tough fights along with other communities.
Lots of crop still in fields, going to result in many $ of loss.

20 hours ago, Cratter said:

Could easily be another "100 year flood" this coming spring with all the wet soil that's gonna freeze.

Many sump pumps still pumping in GF, be interesting to find out how high the volume of daily sewer water heading to the lagoon is at daily.
An article in Herald a few weeks ago had normal sewer usage through out year at 8M gal per day with about 20M gal daily at that time.
The assumption to this big increase was that sump pumps pumping into the sewer had much to do with this. While not everyone is guilty here, some are still pumping outside and of those some are finding the sump pump hoses freezing up and then the sump pump burning up.

Next spring could definitely bring many challenges.
Another thing that happens when the ground is this wet is that when it freezes, it raises up more than normal - with the expansion of the water freezing in the soil.

20 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

... some are still pumping outside and of those some are finding the sump pump hoses freezing up and then the sump pump burning up.

If your sump pump hammers away at 20% duty cycle the constantly flowing water doesn't freeze. 

On 11/6/2019 at 8:31 PM, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

And if it doesn't, the hose freezes up when cold enough. A few variables involved here.

Um. Yeah. 

At least I have above ground discharge options on both my discharges. One neighbor's discharge line exists his house two feet below grade. He's looking at punching a hole in the side of his house in case his underground freezes up while the sump is still active. (We're both on private septic so no "dump it to the city sanitary sewer" option.) 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

8-14" of snow forecasted this weekend in GF. 12-18" in Fargo.

Buckle up!

I booked rooms in GF about 10 days ago for this Sat for the playoffs.  Cancelled them the other day.  Kind of glad we are on the road because I would have bought tickets and end up staying home and watching on TV because of weather.  And so it goes.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...