SiouxSports.com Forum

Beau Baldwin

coltssiouxfan

10 minutes ago, coltssiouxfan said:

So I said this idea in a game day thread but if Bubba is let go we need a proven coach.  I’d say Beau Baldwin because he and Chaves worked together.  Would this be possible? Who do you see as a good fit for a new HC?

Sounds good to me. What we have now isn't working. This is pathetic. 

11 minutes ago, coltssiouxfan said:

So I said this idea in a game day thread but if Bubba is let go we need a proven coach.  I’d say Beau Baldwin because he and Chaves worked together.  Would this be possible? Who do you see as a good fit for a new HC?

Would be very unlikely, he is OC at Cal 

Bubba gets what, $190,000 a year?   Two years left, can we afford the buyout, especially if he doesn't get a very high paying job when he's done here?   IMO it would be worth it to us, but Chaves may think otherwise, he has to find the money.

14 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Beau doesn’t have any und ties......no chance.  The ultimate final decision maker at und is if the candidate has und ties. 

It shouldn’t be that way. Chaves didnt have ties, recently hired MBB coach Sathers didn’t have ties, it shouldn’t be the case moving forward if UND wants to win. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Beau doesn’t have any und ties......no chance.  The ultimate final decision maker at und is if the candidate has und ties.

I disagree that this is the reason we are struggling. All college football programs hire coaches with connections. (except maybe the top 5 in FBS where they have the funds to hire who ever they want). The program to the south hired from within. The only coach in the last 30 years without having previously coached at NDSU was Bob Babich and that didn't work out very well. 

1 hour ago, Hawkster said:

Bubba gets what, $190,000 a year?   Two years left, can we afford the buyout, especially if he doesn't get a very high paying job when he's done here?   IMO it would be worth it to us, but Chaves may think otherwise, he has to find the money.

Well, we found the money to buy out Mussman. So I think it is very possible.

I believe we need a major FBS position coach in his late 40’s early 50’s who’s ready to run his own program. Old enough to have seen programs built,  low enough on the totem pole to take a job making 200k. A guy like that could turn a program around with savvy recruiting, in game adjustments and just overall coaching moves that make the difference. Not that Bubba has been fired but if he does get fired that’s the type of guy I feel the administration should find. 

15 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

You are not going to get a major position coach FBS for $200k

Somebody might take a pay cut to get their own program. That’s why I gave the age and scenario. Bohl did it quite a few years ago. Of course it was under some weird circumstances but he was also the DC. 

13 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

It shouldn’t be that way. Chaves didnt have ties, recently hired MBB coach Sathers didn’t have ties, it shouldn’t be the case moving forward if UND wants to win. 

Completely agree but what in the committees thought process was that bubba was a better candidate than Deboer?  I would venture to say it was the und ties. Bubba was able to show the committee he had a 22-21 d2 record and did absolutely nothing at S Illinois as a DC. Kalen deboer had a 67-3 record ...3 national titles.

Hopefully Chavez can change the ways 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Longtime fan said:

Completely agree but what in the committees thought process was that bubba was a better candidate than Deboer?  I would venture to say it the und ties. Bubba was able to show the committee he had a 22-21 d2 record and did absolutely nothing at S Illinois as a DC. Kalen deboer had a 67-3 record ...3 national titles.

Hopefully Chavez can change the ways 

Deboer has UND connections (worked for Dale Lennon) and also did absolutely nothing as the offensive coordinator at SIU...

For what it's worth I think he was probably the better choice to follow Muss but that's hindsight now. At the time I had no idea. These things are not that easy. If we want to have a top tier program we need to fund it like the top teams do. I'm guessing UND hockey is funded at the top of college hockey. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Tangolou said:

Deboer has UND connections (worked for Dale Lennon) and also did absolutely nothing as the offensive coordinator at SIU...

For what it's worth I think he was probably the better choice to follow Muss but that's hindsight now. At the time I had no idea. These things are not that easy. If we want to have a top tier program we need to fund it like the top teams do. I'm guessing UND hockey is funded at the top of college hockey. 

He was never a coach in GF (und). He was surrounded by und connections at s Illinois and maybe was bogged down because of that. He has more than proved himself once he was left the und connection 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1