SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSUCKS Dump Thread

geaux_sioux

27 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Next year...nah, minor if anything.  2-3 years....possibly.  

However, remember for them a drop-off can be not winning the NC.  Hard to quantify.

You seem to be in the minority on this board by saying that the drop off next year will be minor. 

Winning a national championship requires many things, one of which is things to fall a little bit your way. If you look back at NDSU’s run here, there were many games that NDSU could have easily lost if things didn’t go just right. Georgia Southern and SDSU come to mind.

Because of that, I won’t consider NDSU to have taken a step back unless two things happen. They start losing more than one game to FCS opponents in the regular season and they don’t make it past the quarterfinals. A semifinal loss or a championship game loss to me is consistent with the level of play they’ve had in recent years, depending on how they lose the game of course(close game vs blowout)

43 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

You seem to be in the minority on this board by saying that the drop off next year will be minor. 

Winning a national championship requires many things, one of which is things to fall a little bit your way. If you look back at NDSU’s run here, there were many games that NDSU could have easily lost if things didn’t go just right. Georgia Southern and SDSU come to mind.

Because of that, I won’t consider NDSU to have taken a step back unless two things happen. They start losing more than one game to FCS opponents in the regular season and they don’t make it past the quarterfinals. A semifinal loss or a championship game loss to me is consistent with the level of play they’ve had in recent years, depending on how they lose the game of course(close game vs blowout)

There's like 3 people predicting a major drop. Most have been silent on the issue.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Bubbasburner said:

I heard the same spewing from people like you after '13. That coaching change didn't really change much, did it?

People like me? You have no idea who I am. Klieman was an upgrade from Bohl. Bohl is a weasel, who is current showing at Wyoming he is an average coach. Don’t say they will be dominant with three new starters with a new coach who was about to get canned at Rutgers. 

14 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

There's like 3 people predicting a major drop. Most have been silent on the issue.

I find it interesting that regardless of what I say, many people’s first instinct here is to be adversarial. I haven’t said anything controversial or degrading in any way to UND.

How about joining in the conversation instead of picking out the one small part of my post that you want to disagree with me about since I have Bison in my name.

8 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I find it interesting that regardless of what I say, many people’s first instinct here is to be adversarial. I haven’t said anything controversial or degrading in any way to UND.

How about joining in the conversation instead of picking out the one small part of my post that you want to disagree with me about since I have Bison in my name.

No need to get defensive. Just pointing out UND1983 isn't in the minority. 

Just now, UNDBIZ said:

Have you not read through the thread that got shut down? That's all that was being discussed for about two days on there.

Regardless, many, not all of UND fans are predicting NDSU will take major step back under the new leadership and new players.

18 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

People like me? You have no idea who I am. Klieman was an upgrade from Bohl. Bohl is a weasel, who is current showing at Wyoming he is an average coach. Don’t say they will be dominant with three new starters with a new coach who was about to get canned at Rutgers. 

Did you think that Klieman was an upgrade in head coach at the time? As a likeable guy, I think many would agree, but to say he was an upgrade when he took the position seems like 20/20 vision in retrospect.

Klieman at the time had only been a head coach for one season at a Divison III school and they went 3-7. Not exactly a track record that screams upgrade from a guy who had just won three national championships as a head coach and finished what many consider to be the most successful transition from DII to I-AA/I-FCS ever.

5 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Have you not read through the thread that got shut down? That's all that was being discussed for about two days on there.

Lots are just trolling the Bison fans who after all those nattys still feel the need to come on a UND fan site to "correct" them.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Cratter said:

Lots are just trolling the Bison fans who after all those nattys still feel the need to come on a UND fan site to "correct" them.

Fair enough. Hard to tell who is "trolling" and who is making actual predictions I suppose when it's just words on a screen.

46 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Planetearth would like point out it’s easy to call others “defensive” or “trolling” when we just ban those with opinions contrary to our own. It really detracts from the point of a “forum”. 

2 hours ago, Bison06 said:

There will be a drop off next year because of a fr qb. Long term I doubt there will be much of a drop off.

19 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Right, you could tell by on field performance.  Foles elevates the team, Carson is only as good as the team he is on.  

Might have a valid point there.

When things aren't going good, Wentz seems to have that Bizon fan arrogance in a his walk of the field presence, and then seems to be tearing off his helmet in disgust with kind of a "PEOPLE, look at me attitude?"

Image result for ndsu football lineman

image.jpeg.196a2202b74d6799eb691117155d771b.jpeg

Related image

Related image

34 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Might have a valid point there.

When things aren't going good, Wentz seems to have that Bizon fan arrogance in a his walk of the field presence, and then seems to be tearing off his helmet in disgust with kind of a "PEOPLE, look at me attitude?"

Image result for ndsu football lineman

image.jpeg.196a2202b74d6799eb691117155d771b.jpeg

Related image

Related image

You’re ripping off a bisonville post.

11 hours ago, Bison06 said:

Did you think that Klieman was an upgrade in head coach at the time? As a likeable guy, I think many would agree, but to say he was an upgrade when he took the position seems like 20/20 vision in retrospect.

Klieman at the time had only been a head coach for one season at a Divison III school and they went 3-7. Not exactly a track record that screams upgrade from a guy who had just won three national championships as a head coach and finished what many consider to be the most successful transition from DII to I-AA/I-FCS ever.

Oh I had no idea at the time. Looking back on it, like you said, its obvious now. The best gig Bohl could land was Wyoming, not exactly a dream job. Klieman landing a head job at K State is truly impressive, even though that is a brutal spot right now. From my few meetings and scheme talks with Klieman a have a ton of respect for him and wish him the best. Entz is a very very different guy and coach, so it will be interesting, not saying it will be bad or good.

Now undoubtedly, given the choice between the two of:

(A) three new OL starters, a first-year starting QB, the loss of a senior FB to NCAA suspension, and a new HC, OC, OL, and RB coach, but being the defending national champion 
or 
(B) one new OL starter, new OC and OL and WR coaches

yeah, I'll take the championship. But, you can also see in (A) why some may question the road ahead. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

(A) three new OL starters, a first-year starting QB, the loss of a senior FB to NCAA suspension, and a new HC, OC, OL, and RB coach, but being the defending national champion 
or 

yeah, I'll take the championship. But, you can also see in (A) why some may question the road ahead. 

Fair points,

But for the story to be complete and to truly see which situation is better off you would need more information.

1. How good were the people they were replacing? 

2. What has recruiting looked like the 2-3 years before this.

3. Culture of the team

Sure, there are question marks, but this is college football. You only get four years with each guy playing. So your ability to recruit and develop is central to your success. You can’t have a Tom Brady starting for you for two decades. NDSU has proven they can recruit and develop players as good if not better than anyone in the nation. People can worry about other positions if they like, but I wouldn’t worry about the O-line. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Fair points,

But for the story to be complete and to truly see which situation is better off you would need more information.

1. How good were the people they were replacing? 

2. What has recruiting looked like the 2-3 years before this.

3. Culture of the team

Sure, there are question marks, but this is college football. You only get four years with each guy playing. So your ability to recruit and develop is central to your success. You can’t have a Tom Brady starting for you for two decades. NDSU has proven they can recruit and develop players as good if not better than anyone in the nation. People can worry about other positions if they like, but I wouldn’t worry about the O-line. 

I wonder about your RBs. Do you think Clark will have the mix of power and breakaway speed that both Dunn and Anderson had? Wilson and Cofield aren’t that fast and the Fargo kid isn’t big enough to be a feature back.

8 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I wonder about your RBs. Do you think Clark will have the mix of power and breakaway speed that both Dunn and Anderson had? Wilson and Cofield aren’t that fast and the Fargo kid isn’t big enough to be a feature back.

I haven’t been overly impressed with Saybein Clark just yet, but it’s difficult when you don’t get a ton of carries. 

I really like Wilson, he has good instincts as a runner and is excellent as a receiver out of the backfield. 

I haven’t seen enough from Cofield to get an opinion one way or another and your right on Brooks, great change of pace guy, but not sure his body would hold up if he was an every down back.

My guess is they continue to running back by committee with Wilson being seen as “the guy”. Not sure what sort of speed he has, but he seemed to do a nice job last year when he got opportunities. By last year, I mean two years ago I suppose, 2017.

Definitely an area I’ll be keeping a close eye on in spring ball.

Just now, Bison06 said:

I haven’t been overly impressed with Saybein Clark just yet, but it’s difficult when you don’t get a ton of carries. 

I really like Wilson, he has good instincts as a runner and is excellent as a receiver out of the backfield. 

I haven’t seen enough from Cofield to get an opinion one way or another and your right on Brooks, great change of pace guy, but not sure his body would hold up if he was an every down back.

My guess is they continue to running back by committee with Wilson being seen as “the guy”. Not sure what sort of speed he has, but he seemed to do a nice job last year when he got opportunities.

Definitely an area I’ll be keeping a close eye on in spring ball.

From what I’ve seen Wilson is really really good at football but lacks the speed to pull away in the open field. I saw a bit of Cofield and expected him to be way faster.

29 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

or 

Going into the first game coach K said the OL was 10 deep and plus we have 2 Rfr coming in one all metro in the cities and the other was offense player of the year in MO.  As far as coaches go we have BIG10, head coach, OC taking over the positions.  As your B goes - well if your happy with your Oline from last year you're golden.

5 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

From what I’ve seen Wilson is really really good at football but lacks the speed to pull away in the open field. I saw a bit of Cofield and expected him to be way faster.

Looking back at Wilson’s recruiting he definitely has the track background and accolades to suggest the speed is there. We’ll see how that translates to his college body this spring and fall.

With any back that doesn’t get a ton of carries, thinking too much can lead to indecisiveness which can make them look slower than they might be. Who knows if that’s the case with these young guys or not.