SiouxSports.com Forum

Media coverage

SIOUXFAN97

11 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

the und360 are running circles around undsports.com for camp info...good job to those guys and whoever the heck is doing the und side sucks

I don't really think it's UND's job to be the media.  Replace undsports.com with grand forks herald.  Especially because we just lost our football sid. 

8 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I don't really think it's UND's job to be the media.  Replace undsports.com with grand forks herald.  Especially because we just lost our football sid. 

excuse me...."it's not und's job to promote their football team"

1 minute ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

"I don't really thinks its und's job to be the media" translated to english reads "It's not und's job to promote their football team"

The media's job is to report news...not to promote anything. Unfortunately that concept is long gone.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

"I don't really thinks its und's job to be the media" translated to english reads "It's not und's job to promote their football team"

It was a simple sentence.  You, changing the words, changes the meaning of the sentence.  Do not quote me with words I didn't say.

2 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

The media's job is to report news...not to promote anything. Unfortunately that concept is long gone.

THIS.  

2 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

UNDsports.com has literally had a write-up every single day of fall camp so far. Not sure what more people want, they aren't going to go in-depth on things like position battles or speculate on playing time, nor should they. 

Nor would the coaches want them to.

5 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

You're all right.

UND could do a much better job of promoting its product. The practice summaries that come out, are brief, vague, incomplete, and inconsistent.

The Herald's job is not necessarily to promote, but to report. They are not doing much of either. Schloss certainly promotes and reports on hockey, and I don't know why Miller can't emulate that a bit more in football. He could do more Camp Review, Position Group Review, Opponent Reviews, Etc. Build up the team, and the upcoming season, and you are going to build your own following as a write and gain subscribers ... wouldn't that be the smart business move?

Seems to me that SiouxFootballInsider (ok, fine ... UNDFootball360) as well as some of the other amateur bloggers are doing a far better job breaking down the team, the practices and the opponents. Thank you to all of you that do this!

I really don't get what Tom Miller does every day.  He writes very short, surface-level, articles.  The Herald would be better off by hiring a few interns that have some fire in their belly.

If anyone ever asks him questions on Twitter or anywhere else, his answer is almost always "I haven't had a chance to look into that yet".

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

UND could do a much better job of promoting its product. The practice summaries that come out, are brief, vague, incomplete, and inconsistent.

Guess I disagree with most of this. The write-ups are what they are supposed to be: short, high-level updates on practice. Yesterday they touched on the QB race with a video interview with Rudolph, so there was a bit more content with that. They intentionally aren't going to go in-depth or speculate on a lot of the things fans want to know, that would actually be a bit crazy. For comparison, NDSU hasn't had a single write-up on their own website yet. Yes, they are in a different spot and don't need to "promote" their team, but they literally haven't posted on fall camp on their website, the only thing I've seen on their fall camp is a few short clips on Twitter.

Hoping to see some of this Midco show we've been hearing about sooner than later.

UNDFB360 continues to do great things and can provide a little more "insight" and speculation than traditional media can.

The Herald has had 8 articles on the football team since camp started, so almost daily. Majority of them aren't really daily practice updates on position battles, etc, but they are at least putting some stuff out there. Obviously the majority here (including myself) would like to see a bit more but looking it up, it was more than I thought.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think the Herald articles have been good. I’m not sure what more UNDsports could provide from practice recaps.  I don’t believe any coaches are going to want video of every play, every practice posted online.  

Some schools don’t even allow for practices to be watched (media, fans or parents) so by getting brief sentences UND is allowing more than some fan bases get.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, nodak651 said:

The new SID of men's football is Mitch Wigness. 

4 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

You're all right.

The Herald's job is not necessarily to promote, but to report. They are not doing much of either. Schloss certainly promotes and reports on hockey, and I don't know why Miller can't emulate that a bit more in football. He could do more Camp Review, Position Group Review, Opponent Reviews, Etc. Build up the team, and the upcoming season, and you are going to build your own following as a write and gain subscribers ... wouldn't that be the smart business move?

Seems to me that SiouxFootballInsider (ok, fine ... UNDFootball360) as well as some of the other amateur bloggers are doing a far better job breaking down the team, the practices and the opponents. Thank you to all of you that do this!

IMHO, Tom Miller does covering the football team, however, he also has to cover other sports and stories that are assigned by the Editor Wayne Nelson. For instance, A few weeks ago Tom was covering racing at River Cities Speedway. Last winter, Tom covered a basketball game and then moved over to the REA to also cover hockey. 

http://www.grandforksherald.com/users/tom-miller-0

Yes, I am also a big fan of the UNDfootball360 guys. It's interesting getting the perspective of former UND football players. 

That said, I think football is getting great coverage from all those involved. 

3 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I think he is doing a good job, considering he is not football specific. 

1 hour ago, Goon said:

IMHO, Tom Miller does covering the football team, however, he also has to cover other sports and stories that are assigned by the Editor Wayne Nelson. For instance, A few weeks ago Tom was covering racing at River Cities Speedway. Last winter, Tom covered a basketball game and then moved over to the REA to also cover hockey. 

http://www.grandforksherald.com/users/tom-miller-0

Yes, I am also a big fan of the UNDfootball360 guys. It's interesting getting the perspective of former UND football players. 

That said, I think football is getting great coverage from all those involved. 

17 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

I think he is doing a good job, considering he is not football specific. 

My gripe with Tom is this: Schlossman made a tweet that alluded to GFH changing their business model in a way that would be more in-line with the Star Tribune, which means that the GFH will likely become a paid service with a pay wall.  Schlossman said that this would coincide with improved sports coverage.  I tweeted to him that improved sports coverage would mean that the Herald gets a beat writer for college football, and Schlossman said that the Herald has one, in Tom Miller.  I'll give Miller a pass if he is a columnist (which he is), but the Herald/Schlossman don't admit it.  If they want to claim Miller is a beat writer, I think that the Herald should have the content to back that claim up.  I think his articles are great for a columnist, but I'm not going to be paying a subscription to the Herald for the information that they are currently publishing.  I also don't think he should get a pass for having a lack content (for being a columnist) when the Herald claims he's a beat writer.  He's supposedly at every practice, and there was an article after the first two practices with his takeaways - what happened to the rest?

Sorry about the rant.  I'll stop.

23 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

My gripe with Tom is this: Schlossman made a tweet that alluded to GFH changing their business model in a way that would be more in-line with the Star Tribune, which means that the GFH will likely become a paid service with a pay wall.  Schlossman said that this would coincide with improved sports coverage.  I tweeted to him that improved sports coverage would mean that the Herald gets a beat writer for college football, and Schlossman said that the Herald has one, in Tom Miller.  I'll give Miller a pass if he is a columnist (which he is), but the Herald/Schlossman don't admit it.  If they want to claim Miller is a beat writer, I think that the Herald should have the content to back that claim up.  I think his articles are great for a columnist, but I'm not going to be paying a subscription to the Herald for the information that they are currently publishing.  I also don't think he should get a pass for having a lack content (for being a columnist) when the Herald claims he's a beat writer.  He's supposedly at every practice, and there was an article after the first two practices with his takeaways - what happened to the rest?

No worries, you bring up a valid point. Currently football does not have a dedicated beat writer. Tom is close but he has other duties assigned to him. 

24 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I understand what you are saying. The hockey team or hockey related news seems to get written at least once a week during the offseason. Football has maybe 3 to 4 a week, despite it being in season at the moment. 

On 8/13/2018 at 4:33 PM, nodak651 said:

The Herald has hired another reporter who looks like she plans to spend a lot of time on hockey.  I'm guessing the players will be lining up to do interviews though....

Hi there, for those looking for more football stories I will re link my feature on one player that I think can improve this season. In addition, you can see who all was in on recruiting Izzy Adeoti and what drew him to UND, along with what he and Coach Freund are looking for from him this season. I freelance cover as many different UND Sports as I can, in addition to the Izzy Story, check out info on UND's first opponent MVSU (i know a lot of you read my work and many have provided awesome feedback.. thanks to all!). I have also covered UND Soccer. Please provided any feedback as I am always looking to improve things on this site I helped co-found. Excited for everything to get going this year! 

https://seamoresports.com/2018/08/08/und-football-coach-freund-and-the-jets-izzy-adeoti/ 

• Upvote 2