SiouxSports.com Forum

Kennedy vs. Engelstad Foundation: GF herald feature

jdub27

19 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

If you feel leaving the Fighting Hawks logo/nickname and going through another nickname selection process is the best for the University, you purely do not understand collegiate athletics nor what is best for UND.

FFS and I said dump the logo.  Not start over. 

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

Best case scenario for those that don't like the current logo would be for UND to develop a secondary logo and that one would eventually turn into the primary logo used by the athletic programs.  Of course, when that would happen is the question.  Coming up with a secondary logo would be an admission by UND that the current logo is not as popular as they would have hoped, but if they did it right could go a long way in uniting this divided fanbase and we can't stop talking about logos!!  

Maybe UND is just playing with us and releasing a less a logo that is kind of plain and bland, and then 5 years after its release, come out with one of the other SME designs and people will compare it to the current logo and think the new secondary logo is just awesome!! :D

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

I asked last week and got nothing.  Where is the example of the magical logo that's going to galvanize the fanbase?  

Remember:  no feathers (native americans own feathers), birds don't have teeth, angry bird is a game - so those are all out according to the nickname/logo experts on here circa 2016.  

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

Sounds good in theory, but what happens when everybody dislikes the second logo and inevitably has critical things to say about it.  There undoubtedly will be people who are in uproar about the costs of adopting a new logo. The subjectivity of logos leaves this really as a no-win situation; at least until general support comes around like it existed in the good ol' days. 

46 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

No, that's not what I meant. I meant exactly what I said. Nice try though. You honestly don't care about UND, despite what you say. 

This "Everyone who even remotely is associated with UND needs to mindlessly worship the symbol of mediocrity, or a few of us will relentlesly insult them until they do, untill then we all lose." is completely insane and not something I would even slightly word. 

Despite what you think, the present problem is there is not an overwhelming consensus against the nickname at this point; more people are coming to terms with the nickname all the time. The alternatives of "no nickname" or "Fighting Sioux" aren't options, so what is the true alternative then? 

Thus, we find ourselves at a crossroads:

Do we dump the logo and the progress made or do we continue to market the new logo and nickname and hope more and more people realize general support is what is again needed?

If you feel leaving the Fighting Hawks logo/nickname and going through another nickname selection process is the best for the University, you purely do not understand collegiate athletics nor what is best for UND. In fact, as I mentioned earlier, I don't think you could care less about what happens to UND athletics (especially non-hockey) moving forward. As such, I have a hard time even listening to your opinions. 

It's not the name. It is vanilla but it can be and should be marketed and branded. But marketing the logo is going to be a never ending uphill battle. so we either

keep pushing the logo....maybe enough people will obtain items with the logo through giveaways and clearance racks although that won't do much for UND pocketbook

put the logo on the backburner and push the name and then in a couple years roll out a fresh logo

scrap the logo but keep branding the name 

The whole idea of licensed goods is to put some money in UND's coffers. We can wait 5-10 years and then look back and realize what we have lost financially. The logo isn't happening now and isn't going to be happening in the future.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, petey23 said:

It's not the name. It is vanilla but it can be and should be marketed and branded. But marketing the logo is going to be a never ending uphill battle. so we either

keep pushing the logo....maybe enough people will obtain items with the logo through giveaways and clearance racks although that won't do much for UND pocketbook

put the logo on the backburner and push the name and then in a couple years roll out a fresh logo

scrap the logo but keep branding the name 

The whole idea of licensed goods is to put some money in UND's coffers. We can wait 5-10 years and then look back and realize what we have lost financially. The logo isn't happening now and isn't going to be happening in the future.

I'll just repeat my previous post because it again applies. 

Sounds good in theory, but what happens when everybody dislikes the second logo and inevitably has critical things to say about it.  There undoubtedly will be people who are in uproar about the costs of adopting a new logo. The subjectivity of logos leaves this really as a no-win situation; at least until general support comes around like it existed in the good ol' days.

Continually swapping out logos for something new is not the answer.  Perhaps an alternative logo could help. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UND1983 said:

So now you're arguing the selection process, too?  

We will never have a logo as stately as a buffalo snorting so quit holding us to such high standards please.

Just pointing out how we got here. I am by no means saying we should go back and restart Kelly's clusterf*ck of a plan. We have a name, lets figure out a way to be able to market and brand it. I know that corporate customers who are co-branding UND don't want the Hawk logo and retail is requesting items and art without it as well. In simple terms, it isn't selling now and in all likelihood won't sell in the future.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I'll just repeat my previous post because it again applies. 

Continually swapping out logos for something new is not the answer.  Perhaps an alternative logo could help. 

I would agree. Roll out an alternative logo for Athletics.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, petey23 said:

I would agree. Roll out an alternative logo for Athletics.

You just want the interlocking ND as the logo because it again satisfies the FSF crowd and it has nothing to do with a picture of a Hawk. 

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

No, that's not what I meant. I meant exactly what I said. Nice try though. You honestly don't care about UND, despite what you say. 

Despite what you think, the present problem is there is not an overwhelming consensus against the nickname at this point;  

I don't think you could care less about what happens to UND athletics (especially non-hockey) moving forward. As such, I have a hard time even listening to your opinions. 

Its literarlly what you wrote. Good lord you can't keep up with your own hypocrisy. 

"there is not an overwhelming consensus against the nickname at this point"

If you honestly believe this.... there just isn't any way for a sane person to take you with a shred of credibility.

I question your ability to unserstand the world around you, and I truly pray for your saftey as you navigate the earth, which by your logical abilities I have no doubt you believe to be flat.

50 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Just pointing out how we got here. I am by no means saying we should go back and restart Kelly's clusterf*ck of a plan. We have a name, lets figure out a way to be able to market and brand it. I know that corporate customers who are co-branding UND don't want the Hawk logo and retail is requesting items and art without it as well. In simple terms, it isn't selling now and in all likelihood won't sell in the future.

I'll confirm this.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, petey23 said:

I do?

Don’t you? Besides your love for the Bison logo, you haven’t provided a Fighting Hawks logo that people would like. The interlocking ND is the logo of choice to appease the no nickname crowd, so people like Edgewood or is it Rose Creek, would be satisfied with so I figured that would be your answer to a new logo.

6 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

"there is not an overwhelming consensus against the nickname at this point"

It's not scientific at all, but the logo poll on this site is:

• Nominally 50/50 split looking at ABC vs DE ratings
  • Nominally 64/36 "pro" when looking at pass/fail grading (meaning ABCD vs E)

I don't see "overwhelming consensus" in either of those.
However, given history, I wouldn't expect it either. 

1 hour ago, petey23 said:

I know that corporate customers who are co-branding UND don't want the Hawk logo and retail is requesting items and art without it as well. In simple terms, it isn't selling now and in all likelihood won't sell in the future.

Chicken or egg? 

It has not been put out there so folks don't see it and associate it with UND so they don't buy it
or
It is out there and folks are not buying it so retail chooses to do as you claim. 

Can we make a causality claim here? 

• Upvote 1