SiouxSports.com Forum

#8 UND (12-19) vs #1 Griz (23-7) BSC Quarters 3/8 2:05 PM

SWSiouxMN

UND stormed all the way back from a 19 point deficit in the 2nd half to advance to the Quarterfinals over Montana State.  Now the task gets harder as they take on the top seed, Montana.

Realistically, this should the last game that UND ever plays in the Big Sky.  The Griz have had a great season and all signs appear to be that this is finally the year that Travis breaks through to the NCAAs.  However, it is March after all and anything can happen.  Wouldn't it just be a great parting gift if UND could beat the Griz and Weber one more time as conference members?

How UND can pull the upset:

1) Limit Akoh:  He has been a nightmare for UND to deal with.  If they cannot get him into foul trouble, UND is going to have to help because he has the size and ability to beat UNDs posts one on one.  I'd take my chances with the Griz guards

2) 3 point shooting:  If UND is going to win, they need to shoot the ball very well from the outside. If they can get to 50% from downtown, they will have a great chance.   Likewise, UND needs to play great perimeter D.

3) Geno and Marlon need to be huge and outplay the Griz guards. If Marlon can put up another performance like he did against MSU, that would be awesome.

4) Limit the Griz to 1 shot.  They cannot get eaten up on the boards. 

Other Quarterfinal Matchups:

#4 Weber verses #5 UNC

#3 EWU verses #6 PSU

#2 Idaho verses #10 SUU

Upset Alert: EWU.  PSU plays a style that can make things difficult for any team.  They are more than capable of pulling this off. 

The Fallen:

Idaho State:  Disappointing end to a improved season by the Begnals.  Great core of sophomores coming back next year.  Its one thing to go from bad to okay, now can they take the next step from okay to good.  They could contend for a first round bye next year.  

Montana State: Just plain disappointing, major questions to be answered for next year.  Will Hall stay?  What about Frey?  Fish will be on the hot seat for sure after another disappointing season and another first round flameout.

Sacramento State: Tough season overall, say goodbye to Strings but have a good piece to build around in Patton.  Might be another tough go next year

Northern Arizona: Another awful year, and who knows if this team will stay together.  Could it be time for a new coach?

The call:

In a 7 games series, the Griz would probably win in 5 games.  However, in a one game format anything can happen.  A lot is going to have to go UNDs way to pull this off.  They need to win the battle of the boards, they need Geno and Marlon to play like stars, Seales and Avants to be healthy enough to be productive, and the bench to score above their averages.  They also need to find a way to solve the Akoh puzzle.  I personally think it is going to be a close game and wouldn't be surprised if UND jumped ahead right away.  To me, if UND pulls this off, they ride the momentum all the way to the final.  My head says the Griz will end the dream.. but damn it, the heart wants what it wants!  Geno hits a buzzer beater to shock the Griz.

Heart: UND 81-80

(My head says Griz 84-75 however)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

The call:

In a 7 games series, the Griz would probably win in 5 games.  However, in a one game format anything can happen.  A lot is going to have to go UNDs way to pull this off.  They need to win the battle of the boards, they need Geno and Marlon to play like stars, Seales and Avants to be healthy enough to be productive, and the bench to score above their averages.  They also need to find a way to solve the Akoh puzzle.  I personally think it is going to be a close game and wouldn't be surprised if UND jumped ahead right away.  To me, if UND pulls this off, they ride the momentum all the way to the final.  My head says the Griz will end the dream.. but damn it, the heart wants what it wants!  Geno hits a buzzer beater to shock the Griz.

Heart: UND 81-70

(My head says Griz 84-75 however)

Nice write up!  And that must be one heck of a buzzer beater by Geno if it counts for 12 points and UND wins by 11.  ;) :D

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, forksandspoons said:

Need to box out and secure rebounds better. And agreed, UND needs to shoot the three very well in order to win. 

Box out, Box out and Box out, score some three's.  DON'T turn the ball over.   and did I mention Box out.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Last I heard, Avants probably won't play but hope I'm wrong. Not sure how UND counters Akoh without him.

Double him every single time he touches the ball.  They are going to have to live with giving the Griz open shots from the perimeter.