SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ Miami - FRIDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

1 hour ago, burd said:

Berry has continued Hak's chip-it-up-the-boards breakout tendency, which has frustrated me in the past.  I know all teams in all leagues try to keep the game on the perimeter in the D zone, but UND has always been so predictable in its transition that teams find it easy to anticipate and can be more aggressive in jumping the pass.  When they do that successfully, they control possession.  Miami did that again last night.  

In the past, we've had enough high-end talent that we could usually make teams pay for being aggressive in that way.  I think this year's team tries just as hard, they just don't have enough talent to make opponents pay for those strategies.   That's why there are so many games when we look like we are late to pucks and watching.   It's not laziness;  it's other teams getting by with aggressive strategies.    Blasi is good enough coach to know that, particularly if his team has little to lose.  The irony is that a team with less talent will probably be more likely to adopt a conservative, predictable transition strategy.  

I know Hak, Berryl, and all those coaches know a million times more about the game and coaching it that burd does.   Is burd full of shyt?

Your analysis makes a lot of sense.  One of the things that made me excited about the championship season is that we would actually carry the puck in with speed, aggression, and sharp passing.  That, however, appears to be a Boesser, Caggula, Schmaltz phenomenon that has not been repeated.  Chipping off the glass most of the time drives me nuts too and it seems that at times we are easily bottled up.  When was the last time we saw us break out and attack the net or even get an odd man rush.  Not very often this season.  Perhaps it's part strategy, part poor puck skills.  As to the coaches knowing more than we do - absolutely.  But many coaches develop blind spots about their "systems" (see Bubba and Rudolph in football).  The big question here I think is "can Berry make the necessary adjustments - both to recruiting and game strategy?"  The answer often is not "do the same thing, only more so".  

#14 in Pairwise this morning.

If........and it's a big if.......this team wins tonight and splits with SCSU they finish the NCHC regular at 10-10-4.  

I expect a win tonight.........least Berry can sell this team that Miami now has nothing to play for now that they ended their 5 game losing streak last night. :silly::glare:

• Upvote 1

Just now, Oxbow6 said:

#14 in Pairwise this morning.

If........and it's a big if.......this team wins tonight and splits with SCSU they finish the NCHC regular at 10-10-4.  

I expect a win tonight.........least Berry can sell this team that Miami now has nothing to play for now that they ended their 5 game losing streak last night. :silly::glare:

#ferdaHogg

• Upvote 1

UND gains D zone possession, opposing D-Men race to the walls to stop the chip and keep it in the zone. 

Even when they do have possession entering the offensive end, they rush to give it up. Cole made a great move around his man at the red line, had clear sailing into the zone, dumped it right to Miami

Just now, franchise said:

UND gains D zone possession, opposing D-Men race to the walls to stop the chip and keep it in the zone. 

Even when they do have possession entering the offensive end, they rush to give it up. Cole made a great move around his man at the red line, had clear sailing into the zone, dumped it right to Miami

This is all you got when you never ever think about using the center third of the rink when clearing the D zone or going thru the neutral zone.

Wasn’t one of the keys in this series to get a ton of pucks to the net because they’re goalie wasn’t as solid. Our boys still look like they’re waiting too long to shoot. They wait thy extra second for someone to be able to block the shot. Just get the puck deep and look for the tip or the rebound.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Irish said:

Your analysis makes a lot of sense.  One of the things that made me excited about the championship season is that we would actually carry the puck in with speed, aggression, and sharp passing.  That, however, appears to be a Boesser, Caggula, Schmaltz phenomenon that has not been repeated.  Chipping off the glass most of the time drives me nuts too and it seems that at times we are easily bottled up.  When was the last time we saw us break out and attack the net or even get an odd man rush.  Not very often this season.  Perhaps it's part strategy, part poor puck skills.  As to the coaches knowing more than we do - absolutely.  But many coaches develop blind spots about their "systems" (see Bubba and Rudolph in football).  The big question here I think is "can Berry make the necessary adjustments - both to recruiting and game strategy?"  The answer often is not "do the same thing, only more so".  

I really do have confidence in Berry's game coaching abilities.  I loved Hak for the high quality teams he produced every single year.  We got to watch a boatload of high end hockey almost every weekend for many years.  As a fan, that's just very enjoyable.  

I think Berry will have similar success, and I think he might be a slightly better game coach than Hak, though I couldn't say why.  One banner that would not have happened but for multiple bounces and breaks (as it is for every Banner winner) should not be the only basis to conclude that he is the better game coach.   And we will find out if he is Hak's equal as a program coach.  Not many coaches can match Hak on that score.   I think the announcers were saying that UND has made the tourney 16 straight seasons, an NCAA record.   We may have been complaining about a banner drought since '01, but we were witnessing remarkable success every single year.   That's a lot of viewing pleasure. 

Key to UND hockey fortunes is 'karma' as I've previously  stated.....for all the 'rednecks' who still cling to the 'Fighting Sue-sies'....nickname...(including the name of this board...which I like, except for the name)....come into the 21st Century and embrace the UND Fighting Hawks.....name and logo....and the hockey gods may change the fortune for the team...(are there still any 'Flickertails Forever' folks still alive!!!)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

Not quite sure about one previous posters statement that Berry better game coach than Hak.  We can’t play with a lead. 

I am beyond frustrated with this team.  I’m sure Bubbs feels the same way.  If nothing else this season hopefully will lead to some changes in recruiting and game management, including the breakout plan. 

2 minutes ago, franchise said:

I really want to believe that when everyone is finally healthy, that just maaaybe there's a small flicker of hope that they could get hot. Hard to believe that when they repeatedly prove that a 2 goal lead is the worst lead in hockey.

That would be a 3 goal lead. 

28 minutes ago, franchise said:

I really want to believe that when everyone is finally healthy, that just maaaybe there's a small flicker of hope that they could get hot. Hard to believe that when they repeatedly prove that a 2 goal lead is the worst lead in hockey.

Where was that defense when Hak "failed" with teams that had major injuries (Mark Mac being one that comes to mind)...

• Upvote 1