SiouxSports.com Forum

Students Spearhead Effort for Fighting Hawks Mascot

ChrisUND1

I actually think the new mascot looks great!  One of my buddies was there and had a few pictures of his son with the mascot, and I showed it to my son and he was so excited to get to a game so he could see the mascot.......having the kids be excited about it makes it a lot better for me!

• Upvote 3

On 9/21/2018 at 9:26 AM, Siouxperfan7 said:

Why do I get the feeling that if/when the students vote on a name, it's going to be "Hawkey."  I mean, it's not horrible but seems like they would want a name that is all sports inclusive instead of a name that makes you think of only one sport at UND.  

Sue is the front-runner and it isn't even close. Hopefully it doesn't make the ballot.

1 hour ago, Hambone said:

I actually think the new mascot looks great!  One of my buddies was there and had a few pictures of his son with the mascot, and I showed it to my son and he was so excited to get to a game so he could see the mascot.......having the kids be excited about it makes it a lot better for me!

Agreed. Tons of positive reaction from kids at the game. 

On 9/23/2018 at 12:27 AM, darell1976 said:

I thought the mascot looked good, dancing with the crowd interacting with kids. Now the question is....can he do push-ups after points like Bunning used to do. Of course with our offense it wouldn’t be much of a challenge. 

You spelled "punts" wrong.  Then again, we wouldn't want to wear the poor bird out, would we?  

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, jdub27 said:

You don't think there will be a vote??   :lol:

Because the vote went so smoothly the last time they ran one :silly:

6 hours ago, 90siouxfan said:

multiple votes after several rounds of committee

Don't forget using Urban Dictionary as the holy grail of resources from a 90K consultant.

8 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Someone will be getting a pink slip within the Flyers organization soon.

I think it's a pretty great mascot.  Slightly over the top and awkward/scary looking but in 20 years, it's going to be iconic.  Plus, look at all the free publicity the team is getting.  This quote from a yahoo article pretty much sums it up for me:

While the hockey world has essentially responded to this with a unanimous ‘WTF’, I can’t get enough of this guy. It’s a classic case of something being so bad that it’s good. Gritty is such a whiff that he actually might be a home run.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Hambone said:

And they're the target market, so that's great!

Look at the other mascots in the sporting world, especially college mascots.  They are mostly goofy looking people or animals.  And that's the point.    If you want really want to rank the goofiest/weirdest/ugliest mascots, our Hawk is definitely way down the list when comparing to what is out there.

https://www.google.com/search?q=college+mascots&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi9gvLBpdbdAhVMPN8KHTTAA4sQ_AUIDigB&biw=1280&bih=899

2 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Look at the other mascots in the sporting world, especially college mascots.  They are mostly goofy looking people or animals.  And that's the point.    If you want really want to rank the goofiest/weirdest/ugliest mascots, our Hawk is definitely way down the list when comparing to what is out there.

https://www.google.com/search?q=college+mascots&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi9gvLBpdbdAhVMPN8KHTTAA4sQ_AUIDigB&biw=1280&bih=899

Have you seen King Cake Baby from the New Orleans Pelicans?