SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Union - FRIDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

Sounds like Union came in playing with house money; no expectations that they’d be successful (at least from no one outside the Union locker room) and just went out and out-worked UND. Sometimes when we have bad losses like this, I wonder if all the plush accommodations of the Ralph work against the players?

1 minute ago, Godsmack said:

Sounds like Union came in playing with house money; no expectations that they’d be successful (at least from no one outside the Union locker room) and just went out and out-worked UND. Sometimes when we have bad losses like this, I wonder if all the plush accommodations of the Ralph work against the players?

Maybe Brad will make them sleep on the ice tonight.

Give me all the crap you want, but we sure could have used a couple Blue Chippers out there tonight - you know, guys who can bury their chances or make the good pass.  We were brutal with the puck - teed it up endlessly, made an errant half-pass, or skated until we lost it.  The seven pass goal of two years ago seems like a distant memory.  Add some wooden-head plays - puking up a goal on a break-away less than a minute after we cut the lead to one and get the crowd in it, the stupid 3rd period penalties, and of course Thome's attempt to get an assist.  We couldn't think about covering the Union far wing on their rushes and were lucky with a couple of pipes.  A sorry showing in our own house.

Thome has filled in nicely, but I think I'm about ready for Cam to get back in the net.  His performance wasn't the glaring reason UND lost, but you know that Cam makes a better decision on goal number two.

Sounds like Bowen will be out the whole weekend.  That's a big injury. 

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

Thome has filled in nicely, but I think I'm about ready for Cam to get back in the net.  His performance wasn't the glaring reason UND lost, but you know that Cam makes a better decision on goal number two.

He's going to be an Eidsness/Saunders, gets you wins but not the #1. I wonder why there has been nothing on Keegan committing somewhere else?

Karl is going to end up being the biggest loss from last year. 

39 minutes ago, Irish said:

Give me all the crap you want, but we sure could have used a couple Blue Chippers out there tonight - you know, guys who can bury their chances or make the good pass.  We were brutal with the puck - teed it up endlessly, made an errant half-pass, or skated until we lost it.  The seven pass goal of two years ago seems like a distant memory.  Add some wooden-head plays - puking up a goal on a break-away less than a minute after we cut the lead to one and get the crowd in it, the stupid 3rd period penalties, and of course Thome's attempt to get an assist.  We couldn't think about covering the Union far wing on their rushes and were lucky with a couple of pipes.  A sorry showing in our own house.

Okay, I will.

One game a season does not make.

Having a team full of 1st round draft choices doesn't guarantee anything. Just ask Boston U.

The season is far from over.

Get off the ledge, please.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

First goal was a tip and the puck should of been out of our zone prior to the goal. Obviously can't defend his decision on the second goal, but it was thanks to Simo that he was even allowed to make it. Third goal was a blown coverage. He could have come up with a huge save in that spot, but again he shouldn't have been in that position. All that being said I'm ready for Cam to come back as well. I think Thome has played well and could also get much better in his time here.

4 minutes ago, cberkas said:

He's going to be an Eidsness/Saunders, gets you wins but not the #1. I wonder why there has been nothing on Keegan committing somewhere else?

Karl is going to end up being the biggest loss from last year. 

The kid is a freshman playing sooner than he expected (or the coaching staff wanted) and you are already predicting his future.

Talk about jumping the gun.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Irish said:

This was a game where fundamental hockey wasn't played, or better yet "Sioux Hockey" wasn't played.

No one is taking the goalies eyes away, that makes it easier to stop the pucks when the other goalie sees them.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

The kid is a freshman playing sooner than he expected (or the coaching staff wanted) and you are already predicting his future.

Talk about jumping the gun.

He wasn't brought in to be the starter when Keegan was recruited to be that goalie. 

Just because he's a Freshman doesn't mean he shouldn't expect to sit on the bench all year. Union is playing a Freshman goalie who is 7-1 right now. Other teams have had Freshman come in and played right away. Thome has done what he needs to do, hold the fort until Cam can play again. Next season he's going to be battling Scheel for the #1 spot.