SiouxSports.com Forum

Game Day at PSU

shep

4 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

It all goes back to wins. An emotional player on a winning team is the lifeblood and spark plug. On a losing team they’re immature and selfish. A calm guy on a winner is stoic and cerebral. On a loser they don’t care and are not fully invested.

That's a good way to sum it up. Its all about perspective.

It all goes back to wins. An emotional player on a winning team is the lifeblood and spark plug. On a losing team they’re immature and selfish. A calm guy on a winner is stoic and cerebral. On a loser they don’t care and are not fully invested.

So true.  Sometimes I'd like to see more fire out of Bubba on the sidelines.....but Tony Dungy, Tom Laundry and other NFL coaches won Super Bowls while remaining pretty calm at all times. 

20 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

I said I would like to see more passion from Bubba and the coaches during games. I like fiery coaches and level-headed and collected players, but that's not everyone's perspective and I respect that.

Do you see Belichick as fiery? I think he looks stoic. 

A story: He's coaching the Pro Bowl. Opening KO and Tony Gonzalez is on the KO return team. It's the Pro Bowl so Tony isn't really into it and misses a block. His guy makes the tackle. He gets to the sideline and passes Belichick who says, "Nice F'ing block."

He can't believe it. It's the Pro Bowl. C'mon, gimme a break. He's pis#ed.

Next KO and he just nails his guy; flattens him.  Heads to the sideline right to Belichick and he gets nothing. He's almost out of earshot and hears, "Nice block." 

That's not fiery coaching, but it's highly effective coaching.

23 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

I said I would like to see more passion from Bubba and the coaches during games. I like fiery coaches and level-headed and collected players, but that's not everyone's perspective and I respect that.

Didn't get to watch the game but it sounded like bubba was all kinds of worked up per jack and Berg a lot of the game.  His voice was  distinctively hoarse during post game interview.  

11 minutes ago, shep said:

A story: He's coaching the Pro Bowl. Opening KO and Tony Gonzalez is on the KO return team. It's the Pro Bowl so Tony isn't really into it and misses a block. His guy makes the tackle. He gets to the sideline and passes Belichick who says, "Nice F'ing block."

Next KO and he just nails his guy; flattens him.  Heads to the sideline right to Belichick and he gets nothing. He's almost out of earshot and hears, "Nice block." 

Belichick and the Patriots are documented cheats.  When you cheat, you dont want to draw too much attention to yourself that's probably why he acts like that. Plus he a classless tool when they lose. Disclosure: I am not a Patriots fan.

21 minutes ago, shep said:

But to answer your question, I am more of a fan of Jimmy Johnson's or Bill Cower's coaching style. Remember I'm old school. I've witnessed cussing and fights between coaches and players in the locker room and at practice but come game day, its all love. I had coaches so worked up they actually have spit flying in your face, because they want you to knocked the dog piss out of your opponent. I loved that stuff.

I don’t think it would be good for program culture to sit them in that context. The best players should play regardless of tenure.

Right or wrong, coaches tend to reward seniors for their commitment and dedication to the program too. So if they have been in the lineup playing at a high enough level, they will not be sitting the last couple of games.

13 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

But to answer your question, I am more of a fan of Jimmy Johnson's or Bill Cower's coaching style. Remember I'm old school. I've witnessed cussing and fights between coaches and players in the locker room and at practice but come game day, its all love. I had coaches so worked up they actually have spit flying in your face, because they want you to knocked the dog piss out of your opponent. I loved that stuff.

It's been noted, but Bud Grant, Tom Landry were old school and stoic; I guess it just depends on what you're looking for. 

4 hours ago, Old School Guy said:

Couldn't agree more and I would like if the players would follow suit.  Defensively, I love to see fiery competitors that want to knock the snot of you for coming their way.  Tamas is very much this .....he wants to punish the opposing player every play. Love that agressive nature!  Rastas has the drive or want but cannot always fulfill the obligatory duties because of size.   

Need a full 11 starters that play that way. Make every hit count 

44 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

This would be a !@#$%! move, but sit Studs to develpe Zim?  All seniors for that matter?    Discuss.

Although, I know what you’re saying and the productiveness that would come of it. I  agree with Geaux, it would hurt the culture and possible future recruiting. Stick around for 4-5 years work hard and we’ll reward you with watching our underclassmen develop the last two games of your senior year. Like everything it’s a balance. You need to evaluate for the future while rewarding for the past. It’s part of why these coaches jobs are so tough. 

15 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Couldn't t agree more and I would if the players would follow suit.  Defensively, I love to see fiery competitors that want to knock the snot of you for coming their way.  Tamas is very much this .....he wants to punish the opposing player every play. Love that agressive nature!  Rastas has the drive or want but cannot always fulfill the obligatory duties because of size.   

Need a full 11 starters that play that way. Make every hit count 

I think we are missing fiery competitors and nastiness on the O-line as well

18 minutes ago, shep said:

It's been noted, but Bud Grant, Tom Landry were old school and stoic; I guess it just depends on what you're looking for. 

Just a matter of perspective. But I will say, all coaches need to know when to kick your players in the backside (not literally) and when to give them a hug (not literally). Depends on the situation.

10 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

I think we are missing fiery competitors and nastiness on the O-line as well

IMO it goes back to the strength and conditioning as well. A player that has spent time in weight room doing meaningful work will have a swagger when they step off the bus looking for some butt to kick. I don't know if our S&C program is suited for that that style of play. We appear to be more finesse. 

9 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

IMO it goes back to the strength and conditioning as well. A player that has spent time in weight room doing meaningful work will have a swagger when they step off the bus looking for some butt to kick. I don't know if our S&C program is suited for that that style of play. We appear to be more finesse. 

Bubba ball needs lineman that can dominate. Run the ball, control the clock, great defense, that is what Bubba wants to do.