SiouxSports.com Forum

Game Day at PSU

shep

8 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

i don't know this to be fact, just my guess from playing college and coaching high school ball. The staff has seen enough of Z this year already to know how he handles real live action. They are very impressed. However, they are comfortable with letting Studs finish his senior year leading the team.

Hard to argue with that.

6 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

i don't know this to be fact, just my guess from playing college and coaching high school ball. The staff has seen enough of Z this year already to know how he handles real live action. They are very impressed. However, they are comfortable with letting Studs finish his senior year leading the team.

They were comfortable to have zim riding pine .....had him behind heidlebaugh.   Maybe they don't see the same thing in practice?   Or maybe not present at practice? 

Practice  must  be really bad for the TEs also....they are aberrations in games.   

In addition to performance, politics, interpersonal and philosophy always play a role in who gets to play and when. We can't kid ourselves into thinking that it doesn't happen at UND. I saw a story recently about the current starter at QB for Iowa St. This kid has beat OU and TCU (both highly ranked teams) and not too long ago he was playing JUCO ball and told the didn't have the right stuff, and was 3 or 4th on the depth chart at Oregon State and Iowa State.... now he's being hailed as the next Tom Brady.

• Upvote 1

I watched the second half of the game but was too busy to keep up on the game day blog during second half, finally  reading it now after getting home......it was a hoot reading it.....especially knowing we got the win.  Nice to see the team overcome the adversity at the beginning being down 14-0 even though our offense was moving the ball. I'm still hoping for an upset against EWU! 

7 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

I watched the second half of the game but was too busy to keep up on the game day blog during second half, finally  reading it now after getting home......it was a hoot reading it.....especially knowing we got the win.  Nice to see the team overcome the adversity at the beginning being down 14-0 even though our offense was moving the ball. I'm still hoping for an upset against EWU! 

After SUU beat EWU, SUU will be an upset, as well. Go F'Hawks!

38 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

He had a decent game....” UND received a breakout game from redshirt freshman linebacker Jaxson Turner, who had a team-high eight tackles, four tackles for loss, a forced fumble that led to a score and a pass break-up that led to a score.” -Miller 2017

I love seeing this. In a season like this let’s find those future contributors. They may not shine in practice but some people are just gamers. I’ve seen it for years. A guy doesn’t look like much in practice and then has another gear when he gets in a game. I’ve seen it go the other way as well. A player looks great in practice but gets in a game and the speed of competition is too fast for them to process. I want to win games but let’s find some positives for next year. The goal should be a natty and that’s not happening this year. Let’s make it happen in the near future. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, bang said:

I love seeing this. In a season like this let’s find those future contributors. They may not shine in practice but some people are just gamers. I’ve seen it for years. A guy doesn’t look like much in practice and then has another gear when he gets in a game. I’ve seen it go the other way as well. A player looks great in practice but gets in a game and the speed of competition is too fast for them to process. I want to win games but let’s find some positives for next year. The goal should be a natty and that’s not happening this year. Let’s make it happen in the near future. 

I was never a good practice player in any sport. I can relate.

3 minutes ago, bang said:

Next season will hinge on the offense.  The defense should be solid to fantastic and better at every position with the possible exception of strong safety.  Some positions will be night and day better(ILB).  The offense needs to be more explosive. Determining who will be the next qb and using the offensive playmakers we have in a much more productive way will be huge. The oline should be better at every position also.

Bubba get the offense figured out and we will be the rags to riches story in FCS.

3 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I was never a good practice player in any sport. I can relate.

Niether was I. Although I never watched him practice I heard Rattelle was one that had another level in a game and in the weight room, but practiced at what appeared to be 80%. 

8 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Next season will hinge on the offense.  The defense should be solid to fantastic and better at every position with the possible exception of strong safety.  Some positions will be night and day better(ILB).  The offense needs to be more explosive. Determining who will be the next qb and using the offensive playmakers we have in a much more productive way will be huge. The oline should be better at every position also.

Bubba get the offense figured out and we will be the rags to riches story in FCS.

I agree with the offensive question marks for next year. Yet, I’m not letting the D off the hook.  I know, I know we’ve had injuries. We’ve also been terrible. Is Harris and some young ILBers going to improve us that much? I’m not convinced that we’re going to be dominant on D. I’m hopeful just not convinced. 

23 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

I’m curious about the kicking game, too. Leach didn’t exactly instill a lot of confidence in me during fall camp. And what’s the punting situation after this year? Kicking is sometime overlooked until you need it. 

Kickers are weird, sometimes it’ll just click for them out of nowhere.

1 hour ago, bang said:

I agree with the offensive question marks for next year. Yet, I’m not letting the D off the hook.  I know, I know we’ve had injuries. We’ve also been terrible. Is Harris and some young ILBers going to improve us that much? I’m not convinced that we’re going to be dominant on D. I’m hopeful just not convinced. 

Having Donnell back is absolutely huge.....he is the most important player on the team IMO.  Again....barring a massive exodus of injuries the D will be very very very good.  All the mins and game time experience that all these young guys are getting will pay dividends.  Some shouldn't even be playing this year and/or 3rd 4th stringers  

Cole is a massive loss but he's already gone so the youngins are already getting reps. At safety I like Tamas , ty and canady.   Canady could be really special. 

Dranka and Greeley have not produced this year. Not much of a loss plus the true fresh this year are very talented.  Bennett will much better when UND gets back to being aggressive.  

The CBs for next year are loaded 

Harris - will his Achilles be healed enough is the big question ...but if healthy he is an all American 

Torrey - has had an up/ down year but is maybe the most fluid CB UND has. 

evan- before being injured he was playing extremely well  

blubaugh- talented true fresh gaining experience 

ty-  the one thing that stands out for me about ty is that he never shows any emotion...like he doesn't care.  Talented tho 

The d line will have tank, Bennett and cieslak starting   Veteran talented group! Zeke will be special and sequin is a beast from what I've seen in practice  

OLB - They all come back....hopefully!   Big fan of haas. Jaxon showed what he's capable of doing yesterday.  Tanner is very aggressive.  

ILB  has talent needs depth 

Bennett - stud 

Noah  - until he gets game time we don't know for sure 

rastas - if he can inhale 12 cheeseburgers a day and get around 220ish next he will start opposite of Bennett .   He has ILB intentions just not bulky enough. 

cam - has looked real good 

Still a couple games to go this year but I'm really excited about the D next year and the years to come.  

Looking at the stat line for the D the last 4-5 games ....it's very noticeable that at least half of the top contributors are freshman.   3 of the top 4 from yesterday were freshman and a couple games ago the top 5 were all fresh. 

The offense is a different story. If Rudy is retained then UND be just ok next year. 

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

nice assessment of each noted player...the one that stands out is the one you say Ty doesn't show any motion so you translate that as not caring. Not all players are "hey look at me kind of guys". I was at the Utah game and Ty knocked a ball loose from a receiver late in the game. They  put the camera on him soon after the play and he simply got up, gave Disterhaupt some "dap" (who assisted on the tackle) and got ready for the next play. A PSU kid got a sack yesterday and he acted like it was his first sack ever in the Super Bowl. Give me the quiet confident guy any day over a loud mouth kid looking for attention.

PSU has enough swag for a 15 win season and enough execution for a 0 win season.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

nice assessment of each noted player...the one that stands out is the one you say Ty doesn't show any motion so you translate that as not caring. Not all players are "hey look at me kind of guys". I was at the Utah game and Ty knocked a ball loose from a receiver late in the game. They  put the camera on him soon after the play and he simply got up, gave Disterhaupt some "dap" (who assisted on the tackle) and got ready for the next play. A PSU kid got a sack yesterday and he acted like it was his first sack ever in the Super Bowl. Give me the quiet confident guy any day over a loud mouth kid looking for attention.

I would agree... but I also like to see that they're passionate for the game as well.  I just don't see that in him..   just my assessment of course, not necessarily reality. 

1 minute ago, Longtime fan said:

I would agree... but I also like to see that they're passionate for the game as well.  I just don't see that in him..   just my assessment of course, not necessarily reality. 

this the same kid that has come back from two shoulder surgeries in past two years...and he's still out there...I'd say he has passion for the game.

The funny thing about players showing emotion is its very subjective. On a much larger scale, Terrell Owens and to a degree Odell Beckham has been labeled a cancer by many in the media because of his emotion, but others get labeled at leaders for showing the same passion. T.O. would be in the HOF were it not for his "passion".