SiouxSports.com Forum

Mark J Lindquist - Anthem Singer

Fetch

2 hours ago, GoalieMask said:

Mark is a great guy.  He has also performed at Dodger Stadium in LA.  He is talented and we are fortunate to have him.

If you watch the show he has performed at lots of places - Is midco sports magazine - on demand ?

1 hour ago, HawksHoops said:

bigskyvikes, I think you make some interesting points, although I would argue that just because the Chiefs and Blues fans do it doesn't make it right.  I find yelling anything during the National Anthem to be disrespectful.  I also find it disrespectful to kneel in protest, talk, fail to remove your hat, take selfies, eat, etc during the anthem.  As Americans, the great thing is that we do have the right to do all these things and are not required to act respectfully.  My problem is the hypocrisy.  I'm only guessing, but I would think that the vast majority of those yelling "Sioux" at the end of the anthem, would be vehemently opposed to NFL players kneeling.  If it's ok for fans to take the anthem as their own to "intimidate" players on an opposing team, then it is certainly ok to kneel during the anthem to express your political or social beliefs.

It is ok, its part of being a free society! Is kneeling something I would do..... absolutely not! Like I said earlier....I rarely yell Sioux, little uncomfortable for me, but I do enjoy hearing people use their rights to yell it.

Do you also get mad at all the NFL players that are seen with their eyes closed, lips moving  which looks to me as if they are praying during the anthem? Are they disrespecting the country and the military? 

This butt hurt stuff has to stop. Do what you want, and let others do what they want. As long as they're not breaking the law or making themselves feel wrong or uncomfortable about it, why should your feelings stop their right to do whatever?

Let's bubble wrap the world!

• Upvote 1

Just now, SIOUXFAN97 said:

big green is captain of the pc police!!!!!!!!

You don't know me.

For the record I think the PC stuff going on in the country is crap.  I don't see this as a PC issue.  To me it is more of a respect for the country.  It is a free country, you can do what you want.  I just think it make us look bad.

Just like NFL players can do what they want during the anthem, it sheds a bad light on the NFL.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, HawksHoops said:

Those words are actually in the Canadian National Anthem as opposed to "Sioux".  In the end, each of us gets to decide what is respectful or disrespectful and I appreciate everyone's take on the issue.

Absolutely agree. Just making an argument. It was a response to "It's disrespectful to shout during the National anthem.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SiouxForever said:

Big Green, never gonna happen. They've been doing it my whole life. This is battle you're never going to win. Go move on to another issue that offends you. 

I proudly yell Sioux after the National anthem and would think the native Americans that proudly gave us that nickname like that it's yelled too, I don't believe I'm disrespecting the soldiers, I stand with my hand over my heart and sing along with it, I will always stand for it. I feel honored that we were the Fighting Sioux and in most of our hearts we still are and will be forever. Ok done rambling lol

• Upvote 1

Just now, SiouxForever said:

Big Green, never gonna happen. They've been doing it my whole life. This is battle you're never going to win. Go move on to another issue that offends you. 

Never is a long time, but I don't see anything changing for a very long time.  I'm not offended, very little offends me.  Like a stated before I'm more embarrassed for our university.

28 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

Hi bigskyvikies.  Thanks for the response and questions.  Always good to have your ideas challenged by others.

It is ok, its part of being a free society! Is kneeling something I would do..... absolutely not! Like I said earlier....I rarely yell Sioux, little uncomfortable for me, but I do enjoy hearing people use their rights to yell it.

Absolutely, we agree it's a great part of being able to make choices in a free society! :)

Do you also get mad at all the NFL players that are seen with their eyes closed, lips moving  which looks to me as if they are praying during the anthem? Are they disrespecting the country and the military? 

Not really, but I'm guessing it could be viewed as such.  Since I can't get in their heads, I don't know if they are praying for a relative, possibly one serving in the military, or the country in general or anything else.  It doesn't bother me.

This butt hurt stuff has to stop. Do what you want, and let others do what they want. As long as they're not breaking the law or making themselves feel wrong or uncomfortable about it, why should your feelings stop their right to do whatever?

Let's bubble wrap the world!

I'm not "butt hurt" or trying to tell anyone else how to live their lives.  Just expressing my opinion, which is no more important than anyone else's opinion.

3 minutes ago, Big Green said:

You don't know me.

For the record I think the PC stuff going on in the country is crap.  I don't see this as a PC issue.  To me it is more of a respect for the country.  It is a free country, you can do what you want.  I just think it make us look bad.

Just like NFL players can do what they want during the anthem, it sheds a bad light on the NFL.

Without getting into what the reasons are for NFL players to feel they should take a knee or not, the difference is they are employees and if the league and the owners of the teams are fine with them kneeling then they can certainly continue doing so but at the risk of driving their audience away and their TV ratings down.

On another note, Kaepernick is filing a collusion suit against the NFL which has a very small chance of being successful but if he is then the players might find out about the law of unintended consequences. If his suit is successful it could strike down the current collective bargaining agreement. The next TV Deal and contract deal might not come with the normal bump in pay for the players as their actions have made an already terrible TV deal(from the networks perspective) even worse and the current valuation of an NFL franchise in general has likely taken a hit over the last year or so.

21 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Without getting into what the reasons are for NFL players to feel they should take a knee or not, the difference is they are employees and if the league and the owners of the teams are fine with them kneeling then they can certainly continue doing so but at the risk of driving their audience away and their TV ratings down.

On another note, Kaepernick is filing a collusion suit against the NFL which has a very small chance of being successful but if he is then the players might find out about the law of unintended consequences. If his suit is successful it could strike down the current collective bargaining agreement. The next TV Deal and contract deal might not come with the normal bump in pay for the players as their actions have made an already terrible TV deal(from the networks perspective) even worse and the current valuation of an NFL franchise in general has likely taken a hit over the last year or so.

Krapernick opted out of his last NFL contract.....................he has no collusion suit whatsoever (this per an employment law attorney buddy of mine).

9 minutes ago, siouxstudent said:

Have many close military friends that I go to games with that shout it and love it. Comparing this to kneeling or disrespecting isnt even a convo.

This........^^^^^. 

My younger brother served in the military, is a UND graduate and went thru the FBI Academy.  He won't watch the NFL anymore. He'll be up for UND hockey at Thanksgiving.........he'll yell "Sioux".  He is definitely not a hypocrite.

• Like 2

I served. I yell SIOUX. Forever will, sometimes by habit at non UND events.

Kneeling is an intent to disrespect, They have that right, and I have the right to think less of them and refuse to support.

If you are embarrassed by the SIOUX, kindly PM and I will provide an address for you to send me your tickets, so that you be not subjected to such embarrassing situations.   

AND HURRY! This weekend will be VERY embarrassing for you, get rid of those tickets right meow!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Just my two cents. I grew up yelling Sioux at the end of the anthem. My dad, a Vietnam Vet, never told me to stop once. He told me to stand, remove my cap and put my hand over my heart. He takes pride in the anthem by saluting the flag, and not sitting until the colors are retired. Most fans of their team yells it’s team name at the end of the anthem is it disrespectful, I don’t think so. Just my opinion. 

• Upvote 2

These last four posts confirm my suspicions. It really isn't seen as disrespectful by most. I will respect your opinion wether you agree or not, but I think that for the National anthem you should: stand, remove your hat, sing if you like, but for goodness sake, yell Sioux, Stars, Blues, True North, Chiefs or whatever. Don't be embarrassed by support being shown for your team.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, FGHTNSX Hawkey14 said:

These last four posts confirm my suspicions. It really isn't seen as disrespectful by most. I will respect your opinion wether you agree or not, but I think that for the National anthem you should: stand, remove your hat, sing if you like, but for goodness sake, yell Sioux, Stars, Blues, True North, Chiefs or whatever. Don't be embarrassed by support being shown for your team.

I think it's fair to point out that by "most" you mean a few people posting on a UND men's hockey message board, where support for this tradition would be extremely high.  It's possible you would get a different response from fans of other teams or the general public.

That being said, I respect the opinions of those that disagree with me on the issue.

24 minutes ago, HawksHoops said:

I think it's fair to point out that by "most" you mean a few people posting on a UND men's hockey message board, where support for this tradition would be extremely high.  It's possible you would get a different response from fans of other teams or the general public.

That being said, I respect the opinions of those that disagree with me on the issue.

Yes, your statement on "most" is fair, however, anywhere where the support is not extremely high, is somewhere where noone cares about UND sports. Also many teams have similar anthem shoutouts, where I'm sure the fans with military connections, or not, take no issue, most of the time.

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

Just my two cents. I grew up yelling Sioux at the end of the anthem. My dad, a Vietnam Vet, never told me to stop once. He told me to stand, remove my cap and put my hand over my heart. He takes pride in the anthem by saluting the flag, and not sitting until the colors are retired. Most fans of their team yells it’s team name at the end of the anthem is it disrespectful, I don’t think so. Just my opinion. 

My dad is also a Vietnam vet, had the exact same conversation as a kid. Both my grandfathers also fought in Korea, all three of them yelled Sioux.

• Upvote 2

Just now, UNDMOORHEAD said:

My dad is also a Vietnam vet, had the exact same conversation as a kid. Both my grandfathers also fought in Korea, all three of them yelled Sioux.

Ok, not I get it.  So as long as a Vet that is also a Sioux fan thinks it is ok, than there are no issues.

:silly:

• Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, Big Green said:

Ok, not I get it.  So as long as a Vet that is also a Sioux fan thinks it is ok, than there are no issues.

:silly:

You missed the point........I believe it was the blanket holding thumb sucking "I'm offended by my own shadow" crowd makes up issues on every front. You in that bucket???

Anti-country, anti-police, anti-anthem and anti-military is in no way comparable to yelling "Sioux". 

Just keep wearing your Kaepernick jersey the next time you approach a veteran.......don't forget to wear your "Pigs" socks too.

• Like 1