SiouxSports.com Forum

Da Bears

geaux_sioux

They played Mizzou last week and lost 72-43.... in football. At one point they led 35-34 but couldn't keep pace with the Tigers who were picked last in the SEC. Tough to know much about MSUs offense since Mizzou has a terrible defense. Just from watching the first half and some change I thought they had a few nice players on offense. The QB has great hair and made some good plays. The RB looked really good. They have a stud TE. Some of their WRs looked capable. It was a true spread vs spread Missouri Fluff style of game. Their defense, on the other hand, looked hapless. Now Mizzou has some athletes on offense and some WRs that looked very good. Da Bears were terrible at tackling and made what should have been short gains at best into long TDs. As a team they didn't look very physical or tough. You can tell that they are carrying the losing mentality with them from the previous two seasons. This is a must win for us.

Some stats from their last game. 

MSU - Passing
Player Cmp Att. Yds. TD INT Long Sack
Peyton Huslig  24 35 353 2 1 89 4
MSU - Rushing
Player Att. Gain Loss Net TD Lg. Avg.
Calan Crowder  11 129 5 124 2 75 11.3
Myron Mason  8 29 6 23 0 12 2.9
MSU - Receiving
Player Rec. Yds. TD Long
Malik Earl  8 163 1 89
Erik Furmanek  5 91 0 64

Like you said, must win. Putting up 43 points against a P5 team is really impressive and should definitely grab everyone's attention. They didn't seem to do anything flashy, but really moved the ball well. All eyes on UND's defense, I think the offense will be able to put up some points, going to need the D to slow down MSU. 

Like ND1 mentioned, they seemed to be a bit beat up after the Mizzou. Malik Earl (WR) and Jordan Frazier (TE) didn't play in the 4th quarter. Looks like Frazier is out 6 weeks, no further information on Earl.

For those who want to see Missouri State / Missouri: 

A couple things that will be very important on Saturday.

• No big plays -- Missouri State scored on on a 75 yard run and 89 yard pass (that was 3rd down and long)
  • FG's not TD's in the red zone, MSU was 3-3 in the red zone scoring touch downs every time

43 points against a P5 team is impressive, but knowing those two things above, make me feel better heading into this game. 

1 minute ago, AJS said:

A couple things that will be very important on Saturday.

• No big plays -- Missouri State scored on on a 75 yard run and 89 yard pass (that was 3rd down and long)
  • FG's not TD's in the red zone, MSU was 3-3 in the red zone scoring touch downs every time

43 points against a P5 team is impressive, but knowing those two things above, make me feel better heading into this game. 

Not really... Mizzou's D is one step above tissue paper and apparently so is Missouri State's.  38-24 UND

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, RavenousUte said:

Not really... Mizzou's D is one step above tissue paper and apparently so is Missouri State's.  38-24 UND

I'm assuming by your name that your a Utah fan. Utah is used to playing P5 teams so it may not seem like much to you, but an FCS team putting up 43 points on an SEC team is impressive regardless of how good that defense is.

1 minute ago, Bison06 said:

I'm assuming by your name that your a Utah fan. Utah is used to playing P5 teams so it may not seem like much to you, but an FCS team putting up 43 points on an SEC team is impressive regardless of how good that defense is.

Mizzou has no d. They were really really terrible. 

21 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Mizzou has no d. They were really really terrible. 

It's still the SEC man, the level of athlete they have access to exceeds any FCS program by an astronomical amount. Defense isn't all about athleticism, but winning one on one matchups is and sometimes scheme and coaching simply can't overcome a guy that can flat out beat you. 43 points against an SEC team not names Vanderbilt is impressive in my book for an FCS team.

1 minute ago, Bison06 said:

It's still the SEC man, the level of athlete they have access to exceeds any FCS program by an astronomical amount. Defense isn't all about athleticism, but winning one on one matchups is and sometimes scheme and coaching simply can't overcome a guy that can flat out beat you. 43 points against an SEC team not names Vanderbilt is impressive in my book for an FCS team.

From what I saw, neither team has a lick of defense. 

5 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Missou is still built like a Big-12 team...  Liberty just put up 48 on Baylor.

8 minutes ago, RavenousUte said:

Missou is still built like a Big-12 team...  Liberty just put up 48 on Baylor.

I'm not saying Mizzou is the '85 bears, but since joining the SEC in 2011 they've only given up 43 or more points 4 other times. 

I'm not trying to make Missouri state out to be amazing either, but for a team like MSU to put up 43 points on an SEC defense is impressive to me. We'll see how it translates the rest of the season for them.

2 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I'm not saying Mizzou is the '85 bears, but since joining the SEC in 2011 they've only given up 43 or more points 4 other times. 

I'm not trying to make Missouri state out to be amazing either, but for a team like MSU to put up 43 points on an SEC defense is impressive to me. We'll see how it translates the rest of the season for them.

I don't know if you watched the game but you should watch the first quarter from the link above. It's beyond sloppy for both teams on d.

2 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

If I had any faith in Rudy, I would predict UND to win and win comfortably.   As it is ......24-23 UND. 

Correct.....if UND can gouge MSU off tackle on 1st and 2nd down UND will win comfortably. If UND has down and distance issues it will be interesting.

1 hour ago, F'n Hawks said:

So much hate on UND on that website

@geaux_sioux said something along the lines that anyone who can pass can beat UND. That's news to me. Obviously corner is thin, but it takes more than a simple offensive philosophy to top UND. Defensive pressure will still be active for UND. With how UND wants to play offense; that is, ball control and increased time of possession, teams that like to air it out have to be careful. Last season UND played plenty of teams that like to air it out and UND won most, with Bowling Green being the exception. Against Utah, UND's pass defense was pretty good when the ball wasn't heading towards Utah's Carrington. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

@geaux_sioux said something along the lines that anyone who can pass can beat UND. That's news to me. Obviously corner is thin, but it takes more than a simple offensive philosophy to top UND. Defensive pressure will still be active for UND. With how UND wants to play offense; that is, ball control and increased time of possession, teams that like to air it out have to be careful. Last season UND played plenty of teams that like to air it out and UND won most, with Bowling Green being the exception. Against Utah, UND's pass defense was pretty good when the ball wasn't heading towards Utah's Carrington. 

Check the teams we've struggled against. They're all pass heavy. It's no secret.

8 hours ago, Bison06 said:

So your team should be worried about Missouri State coming into the Fargodome and walking out with a win. Because after all they put up 43 points on an SEC team. How many of your Bison buddies are saying that game could be a loss??

3 hours ago, darell1976 said:

So your team should be worried about Missouri State coming into the Fargodome and walking out with a win. Because after all they put up 43 points on an SEC team. How many of your Bison buddies are saying that game could be a loss??

You're logic leaps never cease to amaze me Darrel.

43 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

You're logic leaps never cease to amaze me Darrel.

You are the one making a huge deal of them putting up 43 points against an SEC team. So why should our team be worried about them in our building and your Bison have no worries. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Bison06 said:

The SEC West is far better than the SEC East and the Top of the SEC West is far far better than the bottom of the SEC East.  Its like comparing Illinois and Ohio State because they are in the BIG.  I watched the MO st - Mo game and there was very little tackling on either side.  We'll find out this week how good Mo State is, but saying MO is good because they are in SEC is ridiculous.  The top FBS teams ARE far better than the the top FCS teams, but a ton of FBS teams are along ways from the top.

• Upvote 1