SiouxSports.com Forum

2017-18 Season

SWSiouxMN

1 minute ago, Big Lubowski said:

So your “logic” is still: if they didn’t do it last year, they can’t do it this year.  Glad you’re not Brew. I’m sure he doesn’t think that way, or any other coach, for that matter.

Theyre 5-0 at home. Unless you were at the away games, all you’ve seen in person were wins. They can make up for the two close conference road losses when they get Idaho and EWU at home. They’re going to get better. They have been fun to watch.

I sure hope you are right. All I see right now is an underachieving team that takes its foot off the gas too soon.

On 1/1/2018 at 6:21 PM, SiouxFan100 said:

I am a little concerned that it isn’t team underachieving but lack of talent. I see teams getting through to the basket when we defend one on one. Some players lack defensive quickness. Shooting is very streaky with many players  I thought if we just held our turnovers down we would dominate. Well, turnovers were way down and we still lost. This team doesn’t rebound like prior teams. I don’t know if we have enough smart basketball players Not giving up but they haven’t proven to me that they are that great of a team yet. Sorry to say

After Klabo and Freije, this team has no forwards/centers, at least none that Brewster trusts.   Fleecs and Moton were getting minutes early on but are averaging only 4 the past 3 games.  2 years ago you had Loyd, Roscoe, Smith, Freije and Klabo all getting 15+ minutes; last year down to Roscoe, Freije and Klabo; now just the two.  That is on Brewster.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

UND loses at home to Montana 54-43.

What was that about us losing Brewster to a bigger school offering more money? :silly:

You want to put this loss on Brewster?  Let's hear your detailed analysis on how bad coaching led to the loss.

4 minutes ago, obborg said:

You want to put this loss on Brewster?  Let's hear your detailed analysis on how bad coaching led to the loss.

Considering he is responsible for recruiting all of these players and preparing them for games, yes it is on him. I don't think there are any of Roebuck's kids left on this team.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Considering he is responsible for recruiting all of these players and preparing them for games, yes it is on him. I don't think there are any of Roebuck's kids left on this team.

Brewster started in 2012 so this should be all his girls.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

So your reasoning is simple:  Every loss is on the head coach.  By that rationale, every win is also on the head coach.  Don't look now but Brewster has more Big Sky wins over the last 4 years than any other coach.  So where's the credit to go with all that criticism?  Are you ready to claim that Brewster's multiple BS COY awards (last year!) are some kind of hoax?

7 minutes ago, obborg said:

So your reasoning is simple:  Every loss is on the head coach.  By that rationale, every win is also on the head coach.  Don't look now but Brewster has more Big Sky wins over the last 4 years than any other coach.  So where's the credit to go with all that criticism?  Are you ready to claim that Brewster's multiple BS COY awards (last year!) are some kind of hoax?

And I get accused of exaggerating! :silly:

I am commenting on the general direction of the program. If you think everything is "just fine", by all means think that. I just don't like what I am seeing so far this season.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, obborg said:

Shhhh...You're only allowed to look at the most recent games or whatever fits your narrative in your analysis. Like below, this is solid analysis on how the coach is bad:

1 hour ago, obborg said:

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Just now, jdub27 said:

Shhhh...You're only allowed to look at the most recent games or whatever fits your narrative in your analysis.

Sorry, but when your coach receives COY from his conference and then is put on the hot seat only 3 games into the following season...these complainers are either not paying attention or are displaying troll-ism.  (Placing an eye-rolling emoji at the end of every post may be a clue to which one is true.)

8 minutes ago, obborg said:

Sorry, but when your coach receives COY from his conference and then is put on the hot seat only 3 games into the following season...these complainers are either not paying attention or are displaying troll-ism.  (Placing an eye-rolling emoji at the end of every post may be a clue to which one is true.)

So I'm a troll now because you don't agree with me? Very funny. Forgive me if I don't lose sleep over it.

What is most troubling is this team's perennial post-season meltdowns. Losing early in the conference tournament. Losing in the WNIT last year and looking bad doing it. Now this year may be different (nobody knows for sure), but their early season performances do not encourage me (blowing big leads, looking bad at home).

I would be delighted to be wrong and I will come on here and admit it if I am.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

• Upvote 1

To me about the current state: (and I could be wayyy off on this) *First a side note

I'm not pleased with either of the teams starting 0-3 in conference. Little more disappointed with the women because of the expectations, but still have more confidence in them in turning it around (and yes 2 years ago the had a similar start and rallied back)

Here's my bottom line:   Here are the results of the conference tournaments for Coach A and Coach B for the 5 years UND has been in the Big Sky

Coach A

4 BSC Tournament appearances

2 BSC semi-final appearances

1 BSC finals appearance

1 BSC Tournament Championship

3-3 record in Tournament Play

Coach B

4 BSC Tournament appearances

4 BSC semi-final appearances

2 BSC Finals appearances

1 BSC Tournament Championship

8-3 record in BSC Tournament Play

If I randomly asked Joe Bag-O-Donuts on the street, which coaching profile is Brewster, I would hypothesize that a lot would say coach B.  However, that is not the case.  If Brew had Jones level of success in the BSC tourney (and kept his regular season success), there would be a lot less handwringing.  The last two seasons where they have lost to lower seeds and early exits have open the door to this discussion.

Now do I feel that his seat is warm? No.  However... you cannot keep having early flameouts in conference tournaments year after year before the rumbling starts.  I would really love for them to cut the nets down in Reno and have a lot of momentum going into the Summit next year with a veteran core.  I still think they can do it. 

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, obborg said:

Wow, you almost described Bubba. People wanted him on the hot seat if not gone just 11 games after getting COY.