SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

7 hours ago, nodakhoops said:

In the Moorhead Northern St game last night Wathall's team lost, but some interesting numbers. 

Tanner Kretchmen - 41 points Fargo Davies grad

Aaron Lien - 36 points Moorhead grad

Mack Arvidson - 30 points Grand Forks Red River grad

All 3 somewhat recruited by UND I believe, all three can shoot the 3 ball. All averaging over 17 a game and will be all NSIC players. I could name 6-7 guys over the last 4-5 years for UND these guys should've had scholarships over. Take a look at some of the conference leader stats for the NSIC and you'll see their names at the top of places UND could use help with.

Not trying to pile on because I hope the team does well and wins the big sky and just know those 3 were looked at by UND and passed on and they are 3 of the better players in the nsic right now. Thought of that when Wathalls name was brought up.

would any of these three guys be any better than billy brown? if so why go to iowa when you can build local?

6 hours ago, jdub27 said:

There is one signed for next year (Moody) . There was one on the roster the last few years (though as a walk-on). Before that you had Brekke, Allard, Big Mike and Wilmer, all who could be considered "local". 

I don't think the staff has really missed on any local kids that didn't come here, though getting one or two of them as a walk-on would have been nice. Lien was the most interesting one to me. That's not saying they haven't missed on a few kids that did come here, but that's just a given in college recruiting. 

Thats good he is still recruiting instate talent. I didn't know if the talent pool was going dry or just picked over by NDSU. 

I posted this on the other thread.

Jones is 4-43 on the road in non-conference games not including tournament games since joining DI in 2008.  FOUR WINS in 8 years.  3 out of the 4 wins came between 2014-2016.  To compare Dave Richman of NDSU has 5 OOC road wins (not including tournaments) in just last season and this season combined 5-5 with Arkansas on Tuesday.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Which assistant is responsible for sucking at coaching defense?

their defense has been fine for the most part. 3rd in the big sky last year, 9th in 2015 (which was the year he should have gotten fired to be honest), 5th in 2014, 3rd in 2013. They were also 2nd in the great west their last two years there but i don't really think great west stats are worth the paper they are printed on

7 hours ago, UNDhoops said:

their defense has been fine for the most part. 3rd in the big sky last year, 9th in 2015 (which was the year he should have gotten fired to be honest), 5th in 2014, 3rd in 2013. They were also 2nd in the great west their last two years there but i don't really think great west stats are worth the paper they are printed on

They don't pass the eye test on d though. Every time I see them play there are multiple inexcusable defensive breakdowns. Worst of all is boxing out for rebounds.

• Upvote 2

with jones coaching so horrible it is truly miracle that the have not finished last in the BSC every year after all he cannot coach defense or offense according to a few clueless wonders .... and even more amazing such a awful coach  was in CIT bid 5 of last 6 years   no wonder he is the lowest paid D1 HC in the NCAA... and the clueless wonders would like him canned...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 9

45 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

with jones coaching so horrible it is truly miracle that the have not finished last in the BSC every year after all he cannot coach defense or offense according to a few clueless wonders .... and even more amazing such a awful coach  was in CIT bid 5 of last 6 years   no wonder he is the lowest paid D1 HC in the NCAA... and the clueless wonders would like him canned...

How many CIT wins does Jones have....ZERO. We lost to DI transfer Omaha. But it's just nice being nominated, where's the participation ribbon? 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, hoops44 said:

Nothing says success like a CIT bid.  

I asked you this the other day and you didn't answer, if we suddenly gave him $1 million bonus overnight, 2'woukd he be a better coach and his team be more disciplined?  

We have the talent to easily win the Big Sky this season.  Not even close, it's a down year for a lot of teams but would you put money down right now on this team winning it?

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, homer said:

I asked you this the other day and you didn't answer, if we suddenly gave him $1 million bonus overnight, 2'woukd he be a better coach and his team be more disciplined?  

We have the talent to easily win the Big Sky this season.  Not even close, it's a down year for a lot of teams but would you put money down right now on this team winning it?

hoops44 doesn't care about winning, he is content with just having a team with a Division I classification.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Reading comprehension a little weak today? I was talking about hoops44 and his asinine comments.....NOT Jones or his staff.

However, I will clarify the message so others don't make the same mistake you did.

My mistake, considering the thread topic, I misunderstood where you were directing your comments. Misguided comment on my part, I'll remove it to get rid of the confusion.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, homer said:

you know a lot more about asking extremely stupid questions than you know about basketball talent,,,,

• Downvote 6

17 minutes ago, UNDhoops said:

the numbers don't agree with you at all on that though. 

The stats don't tell the whole story. This team has a problem with discipline, cohesiveness and as we've seen the past couple of weeks, maintaining composure toward the end of games. Those are the biggest problems with this program and those fall on Jones and his staff.

• Upvote 1