SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

I think we need a new coach.  I would probably be willing to give him another year do to his contract, but his antics on the sideline are embarrassing.  Hate to take the cheap shot, but he needs to buzz his head as well.  He looks unkempt.

Paul Hewitt just fired by George Mason after 4 years going 66-67.

But we got Jones........

George Mason basketball budget: Just short of $2.8 million and paid their coach around $750K

UND basketball budget: Just over $1 million and pays their coach around $100K

Not an excuse, but just saying.

George Mason basketball budget: Just short of $2.8 million and paid their coach around $750K

What is your point...salary and budget equals wins?

No, but to pretend it isn't a factor in both performance and expectations isn't correct either.

UND can and should be able to be relatively successful and pretty competitive within the Big Sky with the budget they have but I think a 25-30% increase in their budget would do wonders.  For example, might help UND keep assistant coaches around longer instead of losing them to places like USD.

And just to be clear, this isn't a push for a raise for Jones, giving him more money isn't going to magically flip some switch.  His salary is where it is for a reason.

For the first time, we agree on something.  That said, the budget won't see a significant increase until attendance increases!!

No, but to pretend it isn't a factor in both performance and expectations isn't correct either.

UND can and should be able to be relatively successful and pretty competitive within the Big Sky with the budget they have but I think a 25-30% increase in their budget would do wonders.  For example, might help UND keep assistant coaches around longer instead of losing them to places like USD.

And just to be clear, this isn't a push for a raise for Jones, giving him more money isn't going to magically flip some switch.  His salary is where it is for a reason.

Bigger budget helps with better coaches and retaining coaches. Therefore, winning would likely be a byproduct.  Which would probably boost attendance. Then you create more income and things keep rolling.  But it has to start somewhere.  Where are the boosters for basketball?

Paul Hewitt just fired by George Mason after 4 years going 66-67.

But we got Jones........

Always felt Hewitt got a raw deal down in GT.  Since he left, they struggle for relevance in the ACC, which is a same because a stronger GT, Wake Forest, Clemson teams make the ACC that much more exciting to watch.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/03/alabama_basketball_was_going_n.html

Read this article about Anthony Grant.  He got fired at a rabid football school for going 117-85.  The opening of the article is very familiar.  

QUOTE - " the Alabama AD announced he was firing Grant and beginning a search for a new head coach."

I know I am going to get skewered for this, but...

A change here would require an AD to get his head out of his hockey @$$, raise money to buy out a contract, and actually look for a head coach.  

(Realistically, he wouldn't have to look far.)  I just don't think this AD has a care about basketball.

• Upvote 2

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/03/alabama_basketball_was_going_n.html

Read this article about Anthony Grant.  He got fired at a rabid football school for going 117-85.  The opening of the article is very familiar.  

Again, not trying to disagree, but you're comparing it to a guy who's salary was almost double UND's entire budget and a school who spent $6.8 million on basketball.  My main point being that whether Jones stays or goes, UND needs to put more money into basketball if they want it to be relative.  The athletic department appears to have made the commitment to football, now it is time to do the same for basketball.  It might require some tough decisions to be made across the department but if that is what it takes, then so be it.  A fresh start with a new staff might be the jump start the program needs but at this point, it doesn't appear it is going to happen this offseason.  Guess it is time for Jones to prove everyone wrong, the AD right and do something worth cheering about next year.

Again, not trying to disagree, but you're comparing it to a guy who's salary was almost double UND's entire budget and a school who spent $6.8 million on basketball.  My main point being that whether Jones stays or goes, UND needs to put more money into basketball if they want it to be relative.  The athletic department appears to have made the commitment to football, now it is time to do the same for basketball.  It might require some tough decisions to be made across the department but if that is what it takes, then so be it.  A fresh start with a new staff might be the jump start the program needs but at this point, it doesn't appear it is going to happen this offseason.  Guess it is time for Jones to prove everyone wrong, the AD right and do something worth cheering about next year.

It is all relative, no?  Not like he was coaching against the SWAC teams with a 6.8 million dollar budget.  

Do we have the budgets of the Big Sky BB programs?

Read the article on Grant. They claim he couldn't recruit. That doesn't seem to be a problem with this staff. I believe the problem starts with lack of discipline. Poor free throw shooting, not boxing out on the boards, poor passing, poor team play and inconsistency are a product of lack of focus and lack of discipline. I had an interesting discussion before the hockey game Sat. Night with a long time Sioux fan and regular attendee at MBB and WBB for over 40 yrs. He noted that Jones hasn't done a good job of developing our big guys. Compare with Dave Gunther who developed his post players whether they were 6' 9" like Chuck Dodge in Gunther's early years through Lukens, Eaglestaff, an undersized John Thorpe, an undersized Don Gunhus, Clauson, Greulich and that continued later with Vonesh, Mustard after he retired. Jones was a big guy but plays a three guard system and doesn't develop his bigs. He also struggles with discipline games and practice with getting these guys to buy into what he is trying to do. If he isn't getting that done one of his assistants needs to step up. It will cost time and money to make the necessary changes to all programs. We need to pay not just the head coaches but also the assistants.

The solution has got to involve the UND president, athletic director and the Alumni office to insure all teams are properly funded. Faison should be putting feelers out to gauge interest in the job and if he can find a replacement who is interested make the change. Talking to guys like Jacobson, McDermott, Phil Jackson to get names of guys who are on their way up and can coach would also be worth the time. Unless we have someone who can coach, recruit and has a bit of "wow factor" that will excite our players and this great class of recruits coming in to keep them here, I don't see anyone paying the money it will take to move Jones out. Change for the sake of change won't accomplish what should be our goal of building a mid major power that will contend for the conference title year in and year out and take a run past the first round of the dance every few years. It wasn't so many years ago UNI played in the NCC.

• Upvote 1

I think his point is......George Mason and basketball equals wins, or at least a better record than here.   Simply throwing more money at a problem doesn't always solve it.

I definitely agree that Jones is paid what he is for a reason. And the fact that Jones agreed to his most recent contract extension, which kept him among the lowest paid coaches in the Big Sky, tells me even Jones doesn't think he's worth much, if any more.

The frustrating thing is that Faison is sending mixed messages. On the one hand, he's clearly not confident enough in Jones' ability to pay him at least what Brewster gets--and we pretty much know Jones' successor will have to get as much or more than Brew. But on the other hand, he WAS confident enough in Jones to have extended his contract four years into the future after the modest success of the 2012-13 season, almost guaranteeing that the UND's men's basketball budget would remain quite low for several more years, and resulting in a serious lack of continuity on the staff since assistants routinely leave for higher-paying jobs.

I definitely agree that Jones is paid what he is for a reason. And the fact that Jones agreed to his most recent contract extension, which kept him among the lowest paid coaches in the Big Sky, tells me even Jones doesn't think he's worth much, if any more.

The frustrating thing is that Faison is sending mixed messages. On the one hand, he's clearly not confident enough in Jones' ability to pay him at least what Brewster gets--and we pretty much know Jones' successor will have to get as much or more than Brew. But on the other hand, he WAS confident enough in Jones to have extended his contract four years into the future after the modest success of the 2012-13 season, almost guaranteeing that the UND's men's basketball budget would remain quite low for several more years, and resulting in a serious lack of continuity on the staff since assistants routinely leave for higher-paying jobs.

Wonder if Jones didn't forego a little bit more of a raise in exchange for an extra year when he signed his last extension, hoping for the chance to renegotiate his deal if he had some success. 

If UND could just find another $1.8 million and increase Brian Jones' salary to $750K per year, can we raise the expectations from simply making the Big Sky Tournament to a Final Four appearance?

If UND could just find another $1.8 million and increase Brian Jones' salary to $750K per year, can we raise the expectations from simply making the Big Sky Tournament to a Final Four appearance?

No one is implying this or that raising Jones' salary would make a difference in terms of on-court results. However, the modest salary for Jones does show that UND athletics is not currently heavily invested in MBB. In order to fire Jones and hire a superior replacement, Faison and UND athletics would need to make a conscious decision to invest greater in UND MBB. Apparently, after this season, Faison has implied that men's and women's hockey, along with football to a degree, will remain the only "focus sports" at UND; thus, a greater investment in MBB will not happen this year.

That kind of mindset is disappointing to me, considering I'm a UND alumnus and annual donor through the Champions Club.