SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ Miami

AZSIOUX

19 minutes ago, Emerald joker said:

They should be able to review a penalty if a guy is hit and he's grabbing his head like he's in pain, that's happened so many times this season.  More players seem to be falling down easier to 

Unfortunately that is what happens with the 5 minute major and Game Misconduct penalty. Players dive and act hurt to draw majors and it works way too often! I've seen players take way worse hits that deserved majors but if the player gets up quickly and doesn't act like he was shot more often than not it's called a minor. Players are rewarded for diving and acting hurt.

2 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

Unfortunately that is what happens with the 5 minute major and Game Misconduct penalty. Players dive and act hurt to draw majors and it works way too often! I've seen players take way worse hits that deserved majors but if the player gets up quickly and doesn't act like he was shot more often than not it's called a minor. Players are rewarded for diving and acting hurt.

Exactly. Last year (or year before) a Denver player acted like he was near death and the refs gave the Sioux the expected 5 minute major. The player hobbled back to the bench and then was out on the ice and scored on the 5 minute PP. 

Just now, UNDBIZ said:

Players who act hurt (or legitimately are hurt) should have to sit for a minimum 5 minutes of game time to undergo mandatory concussion testing.

That's a touchy subject because sometimes it's more of a bruise....and after a few minutes you start feeling better.  The pain is there but it's very short term.  You can't punish that.

Just now, scpa0305 said:

That's a touchy subject because sometimes it's more of a bruise....and after a few minutes you start feeling better.  The pain is there but it's very short term.  You can't punish that.

I'm referring to the contact to the head and checking from behind penalties.  If your head/neck is "bruised" to the point where you were laying on the ice for a period of time, you should undergo an evaluation.  It's not punishment, it's player safety.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, UNDBIZ said:

I'm referring to the contact to the head and checking from behind penalties.  If your head/neck is "bruised" to the point where you were laying on the ice for a period of time, you should undergo an evaluation.  It's not punishment, it's player safety.

Sure.

9 minutes ago, ringneck28 said:

It is what they do in the NHL, so why not in college hockey?  Plus it will make them think twice about flopping on the ice. 

Yeah, they have "eyes in the sky".  When a player takes head contact or looks off they pull them to the side to analyze.  NHL obviously has more resources (funding) for those types of actions but in theory it should work better.  I feel that has less to do with diving and more to do with the concussion lawsuits that will start occurring more and more.  But it should deter a play to "act" more hurt than they are if they are trying to draw a penalty.  Now this would only work for the high end players...lower end players would gladly sit for some time to get their team a PP.

29 minutes ago, Emerald joker said:

Is making me nervous how everyone is talking about the playoff streak UND has, especially right now. Seems like every time a streak gets talked about that has to do with UND, it's broken. I'm fearing road games for the playoffs this season but I really hope not

Like UND's streak of not winning the national title until they just had to go out and break that one last year!  :0

• Upvote 3

On 2/28/2017 at 11:26 AM, UNDBIZ said:

Players who lay on the ice and act hurt (or legitimately are hurt) should have to sit for a minimum 5 minutes of game time to undergo mandatory concussion testing.

And we shall call it the Avery Peterson rule.  Still a miracle he was able to go the next shift in that game.  Inspiring....

2 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Extend Blasi?  Simple question.

As in his coaching contract? Yes.  The NCHC is much toughter than the CCHA (aka BTHC) and he is still well respected.  He is the 2nd highest paid person at Miami U behind our football coach.  (our Prez is 3rd).  Missing the NCAAs stings but lets see how these 14 freshman do next season.  I see us as WMU was last season (and who is now #6 in the nation). But yeah, Rico has no hot seat.