SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ Miami

AZSIOUX

13 hours ago, Randy Lahey said:

What are the odds of a sweep this weekend? 

13 hours ago, Cratter said:

28%

According to KRACH, the likelihood of a sweep is actually just over 38 percent if the games were played on neutral ice (North Dakota has a 62.3 percent chance of winning each game).

Dave

Just now, Dave Berger said:

According to KRACH, the likelihood of a sweep is actually just over 38 percent if the games were played on neutral ice (North Dakota has a 62.3 percent chance of winning each game).

Dave

I used massey ratings. Where UND has a 53% chance to win each game.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Dave Berger said:

I would like to see a rule change whereby a player on the receiving end of a major penalty (checking from behind, contact to the head, kneeing, etc.) is required to sit out the duration of the five-minute man advantage. Should be the minimum amount of time required to test for concussion and other serious injuries.

Dave

I think that is fairly reasonable. But I still think there needs to be a degree of discretion by the officials. There are plenty of times where you see a dangerous play resulting in a major penalty, but the player on the receiving end pops right back up .... usually angry, but altogether fine. Those players should not be punished because some one else took a cheap shot.

1 minute ago, siouxstudent said:

Friday’s opener will not be televised, but Saturday’s rematch will be broadcast live on FOX College Sports Atlantic.

Is this true? Where did you find this? :)

This is true, although both will be on nchc.tv.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DB Cooper said:

Tried going all year without buying NCHC.tv - might have to break down and get it for this wknd. I only see a season-ending pass for $34, curious is there are any other packages for just single game or weekend? 

I emailed the NCHC regarding this. Waiting to hear back. Wish they would just offer a 24 hour pass like usual. Doesn't help their potential customers.

3 hours ago, Dave Berger said:

The All-American Cam Johnson comes in a kit with Paul LaDue, Troy Stecher, & Keaton Thompson and a team that scores 3.68 goals per game.

Dave

Perhaps. But Cam Johnson made some big saves in the title game last year and in other games when the defense screwed up. Cam just hasn't been able to win people over since he got here. ???

1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Perhaps. But Cam Johnson made some big saves in the title game last year and in other games when the defense screwed up. Cam just hasn't been able to win people over since he got here. ???

Yes he has.  He just hasn't had the greatest year.  90 save percentage just isn't getting it done.  Here's to him (and the rest of the team) turning it around.

Just now, scpa0305 said:

Yes he has.  He just hasn't had the greatest year.  90 save percentage just isn't getting it done.  Here's to him (and the rest of the team) turning it around.

A lesser goalie might have a save percentage in the mid-80's or worse. He has done enough to keep our heads above water. Barely.

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

A lesser goalie might have a save percentage in the mid-80's or worse. He has done enough to keep our heads above water. Barely.

And a better goalie might have a save percentage around .925....

• Downvote 2

3 hours ago, Dave Berger said:

The All-American Cam Johnson comes in a kit with Paul LaDue, Troy Stecher, & Keaton Thompson and a team that scores 3.68 goals per game.

Dave

17 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I am a huge Cam Johnson fan. I was trying to point out that there are three key differences between the teams Cam has had in front of him over the past two seasons:

1) The margin for error is much smaller this season. North Dakota's fancy stats have been good, but they're just not finishing.

2) Even though UND is giving up an almost identical number of shots as last year (c. 25/game), there have been so many more defensive zone turnovers this year. For reference, check out how many unassisted goals Cam has allowed this year. Last year's squad did not show that tendency, no matter which six defensemen were in the lineup (or put another way, which defensemen do you trust in our own end this season?).

3) The relentless backchecking that became the identity for last year's squad has been largely absent this season. Odd-man rushes and second-chance opportunities have been the norm.

This is not all on Cam, but by the same token he can't take all of the credit for last year's numbers.

Dave

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

And a better goalie might have a save percentage around .925....

For those that have watched this team all year to date fully understand Cam hasn't been great night in and night out but they also can count on one hand and have fingers left over the nights this team has played great defense.......or even above average defense.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

30 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I am a big fan of Johnson, many people like to fault him on some saves he should have made, but yet don't give him credit when he bails out the defenceman.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Dave Berger said:

I am a huge Cam Johnson fan. I was trying to point out that there are three key differences between the teams Cam has had in front of him over the past two seasons:

1) The margin for error is much smaller this season. North Dakota's fancy stats have been good, but they're just not finishing.

2) Even though UND is giving up an almost identical number of shots as last year (c. 25/game), there have been so many more defensive zone turnovers this year. For reference, check out how many unassisted goals Cam has allowed this year. Last year's squad did not show that tendency, no matter which six defensemen were in the lineup (or put another way, which defensemen do you trust in our own end this season?).

3) The relentless backchecking that became the identity for last year's squad has been largely absent this season. Odd-man rushes and second-chance opportunities have been the norm.

This is not all on Cam, but by the same token he can't take all of the credit for last year's numbers.

Dave

Bingo.  Last year teams could barely keep the puck in our end.  95%+ of the shots were from the perimeter.

If you want to see good numbers go check out Bitzer's.  I knew he was good...but wow.