SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. UMD - FRIDAY Gameday ********

AZSIOUX

2 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

You can't be all "duckie and Bunnie" about this! You must kick a garbage can and scream a bit, this season is toast, they just lost to a.....Higher ranked team....A better team, this is unacceptable! They may drop to.....OMG....8 or 9 in the pairwise! 

Sorry Burd, just trying out my pessimism...

I agree with you 100%...all they need to do is get to Fargo! If they do and lose, at least they had a chance. If they win in Fargo....Awesome! But either outcome will have nothing to do with one loss to Miami at home and 3 or 4 losses to UMD in the season! If they run into either one of those teams in the post season I will like our chances! 

But that's just me being all...."duckie and Bunnie"

I agree just get in and see what happens.  Losing to Duluth doesn't hurt that bad....this was nothing compared to last Friday.  My only question is why they put in Rinks when the game was still relatively close.  The team had to pretty much fall back and play lock down D, when they were down by two goals.  I'm sure Rinks is a great guy but we're a program that has to develop players, that includes goalies.  Clearly Bubs and matej don't see eye to eye...that's obvious at this point. But that game last night was still winnable down 3-1 in the second.

Couple thoughts from 110 last night:

1) Cam was bad.......but defensively UND was worse. #3 was good but the other 5 were atrocious.

2) First 2 periods Jost line was really good...the other 3 not so much.

3) UND scored but again gave up one quickly.......38 seconds to be exact. Been a trend all year.

4) UMD is just a better team...period.

5) Someone or something has to get 16 going. He played very uninspired last night.

6) Leadership.........there is none with anyone wearing a letter. 

This team will be bubblelicious from here on out....stay at 13 or higher in Pairwise and at least they get to Fargo.

• Upvote 2

A lot of teachable moments the last couple weeks.   I hope the players get their heads around them.  I would put bad penalties at the top of the "preventable" list.   (Better shot blocking #2.)

On multiple penalties last night, we put ourselves in positions that simply can't happen.   In period 1, Shaw gets his stick and then arm in a place it just can't be, leading to a penalty when the UMD guy uses that to his advantage.   In period 2, Wilkie puts his stick parallel for an instant where it simply can't go.  (And yeah the UMD guy grabbed the stick which should have been a penalty too BUT Wilkie just can't do that.)   Then in period 3, Wolanin's hit which simply can't happen.  

And these are guys who should know better; game-seasoned Sophomores.

Beyond that, its now three games in a row with late third-period penalties.  All due to loss of composure or concentration (none of them stopped an imminent goal / opportunity).   All preventable.

This has to stop and I wish the coaches all the best in addressing it.  

26 minutes ago, Emerald joker said:

It's the generation of the cry baby, we have to be sensitive to their needs.

You just wonder what these coaches are teaching their players 

So you're saying the generation that is teaching and coaching these players are the cry baby generation right? Because then you'd be correct, because they are the generation in control. 

55 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I agree just get in and see what happens.  Losing to Duluth doesn't hurt that bad....this was nothing compared to last Friday.  My only question is why they put in Rinks when the game was still relatively close.  The team had to pretty much fall back and play lock down D, when they were down by two goals.  I'm sure Rinks is a great guy but we're a program that has to develop players, that includes goalies.  Clearly Bubs and matej don't see eye to eye...that's obvious at this point. But that game last night was still winnable down 3-1 in the second.

Two of those goals would've made me want to switch goalies, but this stuff going on with Tomek is a head scratcher! Rinks looked solid for being his first game though, but WHY is Tomek #3?

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

1) Cam was bad.......but defensively UND was worse. #3 was good but the other 5 were atrocious.

3) UND scored but again gave up one quickly.......38 seconds to be exact. Been a trend all year.

5) Someone or something has to get 16 going. He played very uninspired last night.

This team will be bubblelicious from here on out....stay at 13 or higher in Pairwise and at least they get to Fargo.

I'd agree on thinking there is no leadership happening by any of the captains but really we have no idea. Leadership happens in their locker room, off the ice and actions on the ice. I'd say we know 1 of the 3 is true but that's it. Maybe their great leaders and this team just doesn't have the skill to execute. 

3 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

So you're saying the generation that is teaching and coaching these players are the cry baby generation right? Because then you'd be correct, because they are the generation in control. 

Nope, the players are the cry baby's and the coaches aren't stopping it. Like I said in a previous post, maybe our guys should start dropping and holding their heads but I wouldn't like to see that either because that's not how North Dakota plays hockey!

29 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

It is crazy how sitting in the stands you can feel #3 problem coming! Very frustrating!

• Upvote 2

So from what I've been watching, how does one take the body when you might get called for it considering how players dive now a days and the refs don't do anything about it?

you take the body, you get called for it then you have people telling you you have to be more disciplined, can't take as many penalties. So what are guys are going to have to do is see what the other team does first, do that and hopefully not get called. Very frustrating way to play. 

I don't mind when they have to dump and chase, I understand why they do, but what bothers me when they do it very rarely are they the first to the puck. No grit from a lot of players when trying to win a puck battle. To me that's why they struggle against a trap style defence, when the opponent gets up a few goals.

3 hours ago, Emerald joker said:

Just not when the other team does it? That wasn't even a bad hit. Nothing called on the 2 bulldogs when they tackled Gersich 

A hit to the head/neck area in any sport these days is a huge deal. Tackling someone isn't on the same level. It's about safety and the players wellbeing in the future.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Happened right in front of us........should have been matching minors. 

If it was directly in front of you then you had the worst possible vantage point. On TV it was clear as day that his elbow was way too high and went right to the back of the guys neck. I'm sure it didn't feel too great.

9 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

If it was directly in front of you then you had the worst possible vantage point. On TV it was clear as day that his elbow was way too high and went right to the back of the guys neck. I'm sure it didn't feel too great.

I'm sure it didn't feel too great........... didn't you see the UMD player go down like he was shot? Pathetic call for a 5 and even worse the dive wasn't called for embellishment. 

I know we lost a lot on defense, but jeez - how can BU recruit all of the first round draft picks in the universe to play defense and we have to play this crew anchored by Walanin.  Time to hit the recruiting trail and hard.  We were beaten physically and mentally last night.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I'm sure it didn't feel too great........... didn't you see the UMD player go down like he was shot? Pathetic call for a 5 and even worse the dive wasn't called for embellishment. 

Obvious penalty on the initial hit...followed by a two-second pause before the guy drops to ice like he just fainted.