SiouxSports.com Forum

World Junior Tourney - Toronto/Montreal

AZSIOUX

7 hours ago, sprig said:

And Russia goes up 1-0. Can't tell which team Canadian fans favor,  since they don't like either team

10 years ago, it seemed clear to me they disliked the USA but really hated the Russians (aka Soviets, the Red Army and all that history).   In the last decade, we've moved up.   And 10 years from now, they will be cheering for Russia ...

17 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

10 years ago, it seemed clear to me they disliked the USA but really hated the Russians (aka Soviets, the Red Army and all that history).   In the last decade, we've moved up.   And 10 years from now, they will be cheering for Russia ...

It would be like UND fans watching a hockey game between the Gophers and BC.  Can't cheer for either one.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, farce poobah said:

will there be a difference in 10 years :)

6 minutes ago, UNDhoops said:

will there be a difference in 10 years :)

Yes, I think so.   Hockey in the USA hasn't yet tapped into all the places where talent can come from.   We're in the middle stages of a generational evolution from the 1980's (half Massachusetts, half Minnesota), to where it will be (20-ish states regularly providing elite players).   Certainly Ohio and Pennsylvania are the lowest hanging fruit for consistently producing more elite players than historically.  

We're also middle stages of the transition from rare medallist (1 time in the 1980's) to now (5 times this decade so far) to being perennial favorites.  

During my lifetime, I think we overtake Canada in this event.   But hey I'm just an optimist at the start of every year.

19 hours ago, sprig said:

Looked to me like the worst period they've played in the tournament,  didn't seem like a shot advantage,  almost no grade a's by either team

The US absolutely dominated the first period...their corsi was elite.  Just couldnt finish.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, farce poobah said:

The Canucks were cheering for Russia yesterday.  I believe it's just an inferiority complex.

12 hours ago, Siouxman said:

It would be like UND fans watching a hockey game between the Gophers and BC.  Can't cheer for either one.

I'd go to that game and cheer for the ice, the boards, the glass, the goal posts --- HIT 'EM !!! HIT 'EM HARDER !!!

• Upvote 3