SiouxSports.com Forum

World Junior Tourney - Toronto/Montreal

AZSIOUX

9 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Buffalo is close to Canadian markets, which drive attendance at this event.  Mpls/SP has hosted in past, have they not?

Been awhile.  read the article posted on this thread today.  

Being close to the Canadian market is key.  Played a huge factor in getting in in Grand Forks.  Buffalo has the WJC next year.  Next time it will be in the US will be 2022.  If another city besides Buffalo is going to bid on it, I would say that Detroit has the best shot with their new arena being ready this year.

Did a little research - The Twin Cities has never been a complete host.  In both 1975 and 1982, multiple Minnesota cities hosted games, but also in both years, some games were held in Manitoba, and even Fargo (1975 only).  So, there is a precedent for a multi-country host, which is the idea I wrote about yesterday, although it hasn't happened my lifetime (having been born later in 1982).  Winnipeg (along with other cities in Manitoba) hosted the 1999 event.

3 minutes ago, sprig said:

Looked to me like the worst period they've played in the tournament,  didn't seem like a shot advantage,  almost no grade a's by either team

I wouldn't agree with "worst", but they certainly weren't controlling much play until late in the period.  A lot of outside shots and not much that challenged the Russian goalie.

7 minutes ago, BigGreyAnt41 said:

I wouldn't agree with "worst", but they certainly weren't controlling much play until late in the period.  A lot of outside shots and not much that challenged the Russian goalie.

I didn't follow all games that closely,  but they seemed more dominant when I have than they were that period.

I may be wrong,  but they weren't pretty good.

I did miss a fair bit to 2 rather lengthy "tests" on cable tv. Not enough we get just the nd one,  when you live on the state line,  you get mn's as well

And Russia goes up 2-1 on a rebound goal early in the 2nd