SiouxSports.com Forum

ND HS Hockey- Mike Peluso

OgieOgilthorpe

On 12/3/2016 at 10:03 PM, waldo said:

Peluso is a tool and always has been.   A couple years ago he was pissed off about some calls in Bismarck and emptied a garbage can in the ref room.  It's gotten to the point where its hard to get anybody to ref BHS games in Bismarck.

That's straight out of the movie Slap Shot. 

Bismarck tribune today has a very comical rebuttal to the story. He says Pladson played 7 to 8 minutes. I find that very hard to believe. And then "Mr. Humble"says, quote "  "I scored 10 points once in high school and I thought that was something else. Nine goals in a hockey game is pretty incredible, I don't care what level you're at. And to do it in under seven minutes of playing time," Peluso recalled.

IMG_8158.PNG

32 minutes ago, Ty Webb said:

Bismarck tribune today has a very comical rebuttal to the story. He says Pladson played 7 to 8 minutes. I find that very hard to believe. And then "Mr. Humble"says, quote "  "I scored 10 points once in high school and I thought that was something else. Nine goals in a hockey game is pretty incredible, I don't care what level you're at. And to do it in under seven minutes of playing time," Peluso recalled.

All the more reason for me to hope for them to get annihilated by some teams this season. I'm not sure what teams will be able to do that other than GFC and RR, but that'll be good enough for me. Maybe WF, a Fargo team or DL will send them to the consolation round at State. #4 DL from the east beat #1 BHS from the west in 2007. Grafton did it to them in 2010 and Davies did it to them in 2011...just to name a few. All in all, I would really enjoy seeing Century taking it to them one of these years. 

• Upvote 2

Coaches, players and parents weren't thrilled about the game.  If given the choice all would play an extra game against a quality opponent like a Grand Forks.  BHS 6 pointed Hazen, Bottineau and Williston this year.  Peluso tried to get into a holiday tournament in MN but the school didn't approve it.  So they aren't trying to pad stats with as many easy games as possible.  BHS varsity played Hazen Varsity last year for 6 points and beat them 9-0, shots 83-12.  Later that year Hazen Varsity beat BHS JV 5-1.  If Peluso sends his JV for a 6 point game and they lose everyone is saying how arrogant he is for thinking he can win with his JV.  I was at the game and Pladsen didn't play very many minutes.  When BHS was on PP the 3rd and 4th lines were on the ice.  RR beat Mandan last year 16-1.  Could RR have scored more and they stopped scoring?  I honestly don't know that answer and maybe they did. 

I believe Sardelli moved to Bismarck and lives with his uncle and isn't eligible to play this year besides JV.  Parisian moved with his parents.  I was told Mike Morris isn't playing because his parents thought he would be a target.  

It is my understanding that if you go to Legacy school or St. Mary's you still go to the school in the jurisdiction you live in.  There are players for both CHS and BHS that go to school at either Legacy or St. Mary's.  

On 12/2/2016 at 8:27 AM, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Bismarck High defeats Hazen/Beulah 24-1 last night. Yes, you read that correctly...24 goals in a varsity hockey game. That far surpasses crossing the line in running up the score IMO. Seeing this made me instantly lose a lot of respect for Mike Peluso, even if there is some sort of backstory to explain this disrespectful blowout. Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't a lot of the higher caliber west teams sent their JV teams to HB and Bott in recent years? Why did that change for this game? Was he shooting for the state record of goals scored in a game (probably obtained it)? Is there some back story of a cheap shot from last season or something?

I noticed HB numbers are lower than ever and they don't have their top 3 returning scorers from last season. Is HB on the verge of losing their program and Mike is trying to nudge them off the ledge?

Side notes: A BHS SR. has 12 goals and 13 pts in 3 games. Looks like he is on pace to beat Peluso's scoring record.  

How in the sam hell did HB score a goal? BHS goalies had a combined save total of TWO, and let the 3rd one slide past. 

When you only get a few shots on net, what do you do?  Do you tell guys to skate around at neutral ice and not try score.  If you ask me that is an embarrassment too!  Now if he kept throwing his first line out on power plays or didn't utilize his other lines more than his top units, I would certainly question his sportsmanship.  Not knowing the particulars, I won't be the first to cast the stone at him.  

10 minutes ago, tnt said:

When you only get a few shots on net, what do you do?  Do you tell guys to skate around at neutral ice and not try score.  If you ask me that is an embarrassment too!  Now if he kept throwing his first line out on power plays or didn't utilize his other lines more than his top units, I would certainly question his sportsmanship.  Not knowing the particulars, I won't be the first to cast the stone at him.  

I (unfortunately) have been on both sides of this. 

When you're on the good side, yeah, flip your line rotation so the 4 and 3 units are out there more. And we rolled some D at F and F at D. We put guys into unusual roles to build future depth. 

When you're on the bad side there's not much you can to ... but get chippy. :whistling:

I used to coach High School hockey in Wahpeton before they made the move to Minnesota, and its a difficult situation for all.  Yes, we got murdered by Central, Red River, South, to name a few.  When you have one group with so much talent against a group with less talent and less bodies you are in for an ugly situation in hockey.  In Wahpeton we only had enough my first few years to play two lines every single game with a player or two to rotate in on the second line.  

I'll leave it at this.  I have so much respect for Tony Bina who used to coach GFC.  We played them one year in Grand Forks and they had Paul LaDue, Simonson, Danny Ray, Casey Purpur, and Luke Johnson to name a few on a really really good team that won the state championship later that year.  We had one shot on goal that came from the red line.  Final score:  GFC 11   Wahpeton 0.

Yes, it doesn't have to get that bad.    

• Upvote 4

53 minutes ago, tnt said:

I see where you are coming from with this, and I agree with you to a point.

But let me ask you this: As a player, would you rather be embarrassed by getting caught up in a game of keep away in front of 150 people at the rink in HB and end up with a score more like 12-0 that doesn't really attract too much attention to anyone else? Or be embarrassed by getting lit up 24-1 that attracts the attention from everyone in the entire state? In a game where they most likely got caught up in a game of keep away anyways...but BHS just decided to score at the end of it every time?

I have been on both sides of this as well. I have seen 2 teams playing that were so ungodly mismatched it should have been cancelled, but yet things were done to keep it from getting completely out of control like this. I definitely don't discredit Peluso for not wanting to risk using his JV, but there are other things that can be done as other people listed above. Skate it back into your zone and kill some time, let some D men play forward, sit your top line and let some JV kids play. 

I wasn't at the game either, and I don't know the particulars either, but just knowing they scored 24 times, one of his first line kids scored 10 of them AND that they peppered the goalie with over 100 shots on goal...that tells me all I need to know. He poured the coals and kept it coming when it was completely unnecessary. So I feel pretty confident in casting the first stone on this one. 

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I used to coach High School hockey in Wahpeton before they made the move to Minnesota, and its a difficult situation for all.  Yes, we got murdered by Central, Red River, South, to name a few.  When you have one group with so much talent against a group with less talent and less bodies you are in for an ugly situation in hockey.  In Wahpeton we only had enough my first few years to play two lines every single game with a player or two to rotate in on the second line.  

I'll leave it at this.  I have so much respect for Tony Bina who used to coach GFC.  We played them one year in Grand Forks and they had Paul LaDue, Simonson, Danny Ray, Casey Purpur, and Luke Johnson to name a few on a really really good team that won the state championship later that year.  We had one shot on goal that came from the red line.  Final score:  GFC 11   Wahpeton 0.

Yes, it doesn't have to get that bad.    

My point exactly. There are things that can be done, and respectable coaches know when to show mercy.

Some people have bad things to say about Tony, so it's good to hear something like this about him. I played for him on some off season teams and always thought he was a great guy and a great coach. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

My point exactly. There are things that can be done, and respectable coaches know when to show mercy.

Many people have bad things to say about Tony, so it's good to hear something like this about him. I played for him on some off season teams and always thought he was a great guy and a great coach. 

Tony Bina is a class act unlike Peluso.

• Upvote 2

I'm not here to throw stones at Peluso or Bismarck High School, but 20 goals doesn't have to happen in a hockey game.  At the same time, the goal of hockey is to put the puck into the opponents net.  There are two teams, and it is the responsibility of each team to prevent the other team from putting the puck in their goal.  If my team is deficient in doing so and the score ends up 24-1 then I'm the type of person that shakes the other team's hands and wishes them well like every other game. Red River was ahead of us 17-0 in the final minute of a game one year and in the last ten seconds they had a kid playing suck hole and he scored as the buzzer rang to make it 18-0.  No ill will towards Matt Malm (RIP), its part of the game, and we didn't prevent it from happening and could have played it better.  

In the coaching world its worse to be on the top of 24-1 than the bottom.  One of my final years coaching we played an undermanned team from Walker Minnesota at a holiday tournament and beat them 16-2, with a kid scoring a goal for us in the final minute that would be the only goal he ever scored in high school.  I've never felt so bad in a handshake line thinking "he should have just dumped the puck in and lined up for the handshake".  Then again, he'll never forget scoring a goal in high school hockey.  Am I supposed to tell the kid to just dump the puck in?  There is no right answer to that question.  

16 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I'm not here to throw stones at Peluso or Bismarck High School, but 20 goals doesn't have to happen in a hockey game.  At the same time, the goal of hockey is to put the puck into the opponents net.  There are two teams, and it is the responsibility of each team to prevent the other team from putting the puck in their goal.  If my team is deficient in doing so and the score ends up 24-1 then I'm the type of person that shakes the other team's hands and wishes them well like every other game. Red River was ahead of us 17-0 in the final minute of a game one year and in the last ten seconds they had a kid playing suck hole and he scored as the buzzer rang to make it 18-0.  No ill will towards Matt Malm (RIP), its part of the game, and we didn't prevent it from happening and could have played it better.  

In the coaching world its worse to be on the top of 24-1 than the bottom.  One of my final years coaching we played an undermanned team from Walker Minnesota at a holiday tournament and beat them 16-2, with a kid scoring a goal for us in the final minute that would be the only goal he ever scored in high school.  I've never felt so bad in a handshake line thinking "he should have just dumped the puck in and lined up for the handshake".  Then again, he'll never forget scoring a goal in high school hockey.  Am I supposed to tell the kid to just dump the puck in?  There is no right answer to that question.  

Yeah that is a tough situation, but I would agree to just let that type of kid do his thing and see what happens. With that said, your story isn't a typical situation and is kind of an outlier to normal blow out games. 

57 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

When I coached high school hockey and we played an inferior team I always had my players try to set up a player who had yet to score a goal in there high school career. This after having a lead of 6 or 7 to nothing and knowing full well that the lead was not in jeopardy. Sorry but a kid scoring 10 in a game is just ridiculous.

• Upvote 2

Either way its a tough situation.  It was a 6-point conference game that had to be played, and there was no way around it.  Like Ogie mentioned above, do you play keep away and keep the score low and embarrass them that way or do you just keep scoring?  I have been on both ends and I know I would rather have a team keep playing, then start playing keep away and making me look silly that way.  To me personally that is more of a slap in the face.  I know Mike good enough to say it was never his intention to embarrass anyone.  His goal is to have a team that is ready the end of the year to try and compete in the state tournament, and a game like that isn't going to help prepare anyone.  He ran his 3rd and 4th line more than the top two, but it didn't matter who was on the ice the puck was going in the net.  Hazen couldn't even get the puck long enough to ice it.  103 shots is obviously a ton of shots, but when a team can't get control of the puck at pretty much any point 35 shots in period is going to happen.  Nobody has said, did RR stop scoring on Mandan last year when it was 16-1, or did they just run out of time before they could get to 20?  Not trying to make RR look bad, because in the right situation they probably put up 20 in that game as well.  Tough situation all around and I don't think you can't put all the blame all on Mike.  If anything maybe some good will come of this and there will be some serious consideration for a two class system. 

3 minutes ago, DougTheThug said:

Either way its a tough situation.  It was a 6-point conference game that had to be played, and there was no way around it.  Like Ogie mentioned above, do you play keep away and keep the score low and embarrass them that way or do you just keep scoring?  I have been on both ends and I know I would rather have a team keep playing, then start playing keep away and making me look silly that way.  To me personally that is more of a slap in the face.  I know Mike good enough to say it was never his intention to embarrass anyone.  His goal is to have a team that is ready the end of the year to try and compete in the state tournament, and a game like that isn't going to help prepare anyone.  He ran his 3rd and 4th line more than the top two, but it didn't matter who was on the ice the puck was going in the net.  Hazen couldn't even get the puck long enough to ice it.  103 shots is obviously a ton of shots, but when a team can't get control of the puck at pretty much any point 35 shots in period is going to happen.  Nobody has said, did RR stop soring on Mandan last year when it was 16-1, or did they just run out of time before they could get to 20?  Not trying to make RR look bad, because in the right situation they probably put up 20 in that game as well.  Tough situation all around and I don't think you can't put all the blame all on Mike.  If anything maybe some good will come of this and there will be some serious consideration for a two class system. 

I've always thought about this, maybe could make it work with the number of junior gold teams in the state.

AA:  Red River, Central, Devils Lake, North, South, West Fargo, West Fargo Sheyenne eventually, Davies, Jamestown, Bismarck High, Century, Legacy eventually, Mandan, Dickinson, Minot, Williston.

A:  Wahpeton, Langdon, Mayport, Grafton/Park River, Watford City, Crosby, Sidney, Shanley, Hazen/Beulah, Bottineau, Rugby.  

Obviously Grafton would like to play in the AA ranks, but you have enough for a split class system.  I'm guessing it never happens though.  

2 hours ago, Cratter said:

That's easy you play keep away.

Not hockey but a good example none the less........my daughter plays in a HS indoor soccer league in the F-M area. Play is 6v6 so there are a few split HS squads. 3 weeks ago her team was up 10-0 at half. The final score was 10-1. The girls have no coaches in this league.....just a bunch of 15-18 year old girls who knew winning 20-0 wouldn't benefit anyone. They took it upon themselves to work on possession and passing.....and defensive tactics. Took a few shots on goal in the second half but definitely realized the situation at hand. No one can tell me that if HS girls can understand a lopsided situation and how to deal with it that an actual HS coach can't.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

That's easy you play keep away.

Exactly.  Central did this to us instead of making it 30-0.  It became a competition for them not to give us a shot on goal and work different forecheck systems.  Luke Johnson put on a puck possession clinic.   

We all know who the better team was and Central didn't have to score 20 goals to prove it.  I cheered for them that state tournament and I never before cheered for a GF school at the state tournament. Classy group.  

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, DougTheThug said:

Either way its a tough situation.  It was a 6-point conference game that had to be played, and there was no way around it.  Like Ogie mentioned above, do you play keep away and keep the score low and embarrass them that way or do you just keep scoring?  I have been on both ends and I know I would rather have a team keep playing, then start playing keep away and making me look silly that way.  To me personally that is more of a slap in the face.  I know Mike good enough to say it was never his intention to embarrass anyone.  His goal is to have a team that is ready the end of the year to try and compete in the state tournament, and a game like that isn't going to help prepare anyone.  He ran his 3rd and 4th line more than the top two, but it didn't matter who was on the ice the puck was going in the net.  Hazen couldn't even get the puck long enough to ice it.  103 shots is obviously a ton of shots, but when a team can't get control of the puck at pretty much any point 35 shots in period is going to happen.  Nobody has said, did RR stop scoring on Mandan last year when it was 16-1, or did they just run out of time before they could get to 20?  Not trying to make RR look bad, because in the right situation they probably put up 20 in that game as well.  Tough situation all around and I don't think you can't put all the blame all on Mike.  If anything maybe some good will come of this and there will be some serious consideration for a two class system. 

Mike is a pile of you know what. Don't come on here and try to defend him. IF he was man enough he would send the jv squad with the 4th liners and win the game. I'm not going to take the excuse of padding the stats, this is HS hockey for gods sake! You never run up the score like that for any reason.  Pelusio better remember that karma is a biatch. 

• Upvote 2