SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs NAU

geaux_sioux

1 hour ago, bincitysioux said:

I've got an uneasy feeling about this game.  NAU is solid in all phases of the game.  They've won 4 in a row, including games against Weber and the Jizz.

I've had a bad feeling in my gut about this game since sunday morning.... doesn't mean much but this may be a tougher matchup for us than EWU because NAU, according to the stats, has a bit of a defense. Our offense needs to succeed on saturday. They can't just be along for the ride. Plays need to be made or we will lose this game.  Studs can't sit. And if he plays we need to protect him because NAU sacks the qb better than we do. Ruddy has to be on point with the play calling too. Lot's of things need to go right for us. 

18 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

NAU sacks the qb better than we do

If this occurs on Saturday, UND will lose the game, potentially by a wide margin.

UND needs to pressure and get to NAU's QB and UND needs to protect whoever is under center for them. This is absolutely a key to the game. Huge key. 

10 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

If this occurs on Saturday, UND will lose the game, potentially by a wide margin.

UND needs to pressure and get to NAU's QB and UND needs to protect whoever is under center for them. This is absolutely a key to the game. Huge key. 

We should end up with more sacks because we shouldn't be dropping back as much as them. But on the year they've shown to be really good at getting to the qb. If we need to pass a little bit to loosen them up against the run then it puts us in a tough spot.

This is a good football team coming to the Alerus on Saturday that is peaking at the end of the season.  Having to deal with losing their starting QB (who was freshman of the year last season) put them in a bit of a funk.  They are playing well, must win to have even any sort of shot at the playoffs and would love nothing more than to ruin our opportunity at a conference title.  Dangerous combination.

Our guys have to grind it out for one more week and than they can finally enjoy the much needed bye before turning attention to the post season.  The last few weeks have been gritty, not always pretty and I expect the same on Saturday.  It will take our best effort of the season.  No reason to doubt this team now. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Once again one of our goals has to be to make their quarterback very uncomfortable (and of course his mother). There is a reason he wasn't starting --  he's not their best quarterback. 

This may not be their best QB, but that is because he was sitting behind Cookus, who is a pretty exceptions QB. Also have some very good WR, who can make even an average QB look good; especially now that they have had some time gel a bit.

I do think we will be the best D line they have faced, so my hope is we can make their QB force some throws and make decisions quicker than he has had to all season. This could cause some more interceptions, and our D has certainly taken advantage in that department. What I would like to see is Schmidt dial up pressure early, similar to how he did in the second half of the Weber game. Get their QB off his game early, and never let them get a rhythm.

• Upvote 1

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 10:46 AM, siouxfan512 said:

Looks like Stanley is listed as Out for this week. Taj and Keaton are both questionable.

I don't see anything listed on Bell or Stockwell, so I'll assume they play unless I see otherwise.

Per Tom Miller: "UND QB Keaton Studsrud back practicing today for first time since injury. Doesn't appear 100 percent but good sign for Saturday". (sent Tuesday)

Will be anxiously awaiting reports from how he looks the next couple days, they really need him back and healthy this weekend. Disappointed with Stanley, hoping he'll be back for the playoffs.

I'm really excited for this game, win and not only are you Big Sky Co-Champions, but I truly believe that when everything else plays out over the last two weeks, that they will get a seed.

6 minutes ago, AJS said:

Per Tom Miller: "UND QB Keaton Studsrud back practicing today for first time since injury. Doesn't appear 100 percent but good sign for Saturday". (sent Tuesday)

Will be anxiously awaiting reports from how he looks the next couple days, they really need him back and healthy this weekend. Disappointed with Stanley, hoping he'll be back for the playoffs.

I'm really excited for this game, win and not only are you Big Sky Co-Champions, but I truly believe that when everything else plays out over the last two weeks, that they will get a seed.

Interesting enough Craig Haley said that if UND wins and goes 9-2 he has to think we get a seed at #8. He talks towards the end:

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, AJS said:

If I were a betting man (which I'm not much of), I'd say Studs goes this week. Though hopefully doesn't run too much. Sounded like he wanted to get back into the game against Weber, but the coaches held him out. He may not be 100%, but he also doesn't generally make the huge throws down the field, so he might now need his are as much.

I'm sure the coach and trainers will take the best approach. Don't want him to aggravate the injury, but he will have a week off after this game as well.

4 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

If I were a betting man (which I'm not much of), I'd say Studs goes this week. Though hopefully doesn't run too much. Sounded like he wanted to get back into the game against Weber, but the coaches held him out. He may not be 100%, but he also doesn't generally make the huge throws down the field, so he might now need his are as much.

I'm sure the coach and trainers will take the best approach. Don't want him to aggravate the injury, but he will have a week off after this game as well.

Plus, we win this game and he has a minimum of two weeks to rest up. 

7 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Our passing game and running game miss Stanley. Blocking on the edge hasn't been as good without him and it sucks not have him always open on third downs.

Couldn't agree more. I know I'm not breaking any news here, but it's pretty crazy to think that since Stanley's injury, UND's top 2 WR's are true freshman. Not ideal, but this type of workload is going to be so valuable moving forward.

• Upvote 1

That will be awesome if Studs is able to play this week, even if he is only 85-90%. Just need a pretty clean efficient game from the QB without turning the ball over. I'm really starting to get excited for this game, especially hearing that there is a decent shot we get a seed for the playoffs if we win!

17 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

That will be awesome if Studs is able to play this week, even if he is only 85-90%. Just need a pretty clean efficient game from the QB without turning the ball over. I'm really starting to get excited for this game, especially hearing that there is a decent shot we get a seed for the playoffs if we win!

Agreed. somewhat of a catch 22 though. Awesome to be in that position, and get a bye, and be at home (most important part). A little nervous for having that much time off. Great for healing up, but I do worry about our offense reverting back to Stony Brook form. Hopefully, that won't be the case though. I still think the entire offensive success stems from the play of our offensive line. So maybe the extra rest will be good.

So excited to be coming back for this game.  After being a season ticket holder for years, moving to the Cities made it tough to get to games frequently.  Had planned on coming to this game months ago.  Planned the trip so I could hit up football and a couple hockey games the same weekend.  I remember talking to my buddies 2 months ago about how I was coming up to this game to watch UND win a Big Sky Championship.  Pretty crazy that it is actually gonna happen!!  Looking forward to taking it all in this weekend.  Can't wait till tailgating.  Our group is planning on being there right away!!  The weather is looking great for Nov 12 so I expect a pretty could crowd in the parking lot.  I am hoping we can get 10000+ at the game Saturday.  I hope people realize what a huge game this is.  Looking back at how far this team has come in the last 4 years is just amazing.  Gonna be a fun one.

Can you tell I am a little excited?!!!  :)  Is it Saturday yet?!!!

PS (jdub27, get the pudding shots ready!!)

• Upvote 4