SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs NAU

geaux_sioux

I'm pretty nervous for this game because NAU has the best set of WRs outside of EWU. Butler is a future NFL player with great size. I hope Harris is they type of DB that can give him trouble. Butler isn't a burner so I'm thinking the length of Harris could be effective if he play disciplined. They have a bunch of other good ones though so Hunt better be ready. To me this game is all about us being able to run the ball. They have a fast defense so if we can run right at them it will be a long day for them. They allow about 4 ypc this year. They allowed 4.2 to MSU who can't throw so I think we should be ok.  If we can get their QB to rush things we will win. If not it will be a long day. 

NAU is on fire, for UND to win, I really think they'll need to play their best game of the year. I'd say NAU is the best team that UND will face in the regular season.

• Being at home is huge
  • Injuries: Need Studsrud and Stanley back, also need offensive line (Bell / Stockwell) to gut it out for one more week

I know someone already asked, but what's the word on injuries?

48 minutes ago, AJS said:

NAU is on fire, for UND to win, I really think they'll need to play their best game of the year. I'd say NAU is the best team that UND will face in the regular season.

• Being at home is huge
  • Injuries: Need Studsrud and Stanley back, also need offensive line (Bell / Stockwell) to gut it out for one more week

In regard to Stockwell, he was in a lot of pain Saturday (I believe shoulder). He was in a sling and when the team was giving us high 5's after the game he could not lift that arm. It would be great to get the other guys back but I highly doubt he will play this week. I hope I am wrong!

8 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

I'm pretty nervous for this game because NAU has the best set of WRs outside of EWU. Butler is a future NFL player with great size. I hope Harris is they type of DB that can give him trouble. Butler isn't a burner so I'm thinking the length of Harris could be effective if he play disciplined. They have a bunch of other good ones though so Hunt better be ready. To me this game is all about us being able to run the ball. They have a fast defense so if we can run right at them it will be a long day for them. They allow about 4 ypc this year. They allowed 4.2 to MSU who can't throw so I think we should be ok.  If we can get their QB to rush things we will win. If not it will be a long day. 

Agree about NAUs receivers, men amoung boys.  I think it's fair to say Cookus wouldn't have been freshman of the year without them.  If NAUs o-line can handle our pass rush, they are going to score some points.

5 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I'm really looking forward to Saturday.  First time at the Al since Freund was the QB, and my son is looking forward to his first game as well.  

Big question for me.....do they go all grey for senior day or all green?  

I saw something on Twitter about a green out.

Absolutely pumped for this game! I get a little teary eyed when it's senior day and this particular  group of seniors has been through A LOT and have given us the hope we have been wanting since becoming d1 status. Finally!!  Come out and give them a rousing thank you!  They deserve it!  Add to it,  Und sits very close to a seed with a W plus going undefeated in the big sky!!  Wow!  Who would of thought that three years ago. Just take care of business....you guys have done it for the last two months, make it one more!!! I would love nothing more than to go to a home d1 playoff game.....let's not make this the seniors last home game !! 

Also nervous about this game.  N zona has the most talented team we faced this year offensively and defensively speaking.   They have been playing some great ball lately and definitely have momentum....Und needs to put it to an end. 

On offense, WR Butler is a complete beast, 6'4" 220, fantastic route runner and hands of glue. But it's E Marks that has me the most worried, absoulute burner!!!  Hunt is in for a long day trying to keep up with him.  Could be a lot of single coverage by und Saturday with the talent they have and how they spread around.  Need to be at our best.  Nice talented combo of rbs with a fresh and a senior... but not overly concerned as our front seven should shut them down.  This week more than ever is an absolute must that our front seven gets pressure on their qb, cannot let him get comfortable with the talented WRs.  Their TE has been playing some nice ball recently, need to keep an eye on him. 

Defensively, they are smaller but fast!  We did not fair well against webers d which is also fast.   NAU leads the big sky in sacks and 4th in rush d.  #90 anau could possibly be the big sky  DPOY....aggressive DE that looks to be all over the field. Great player.  We will miss Studsrud and his versatility on Saturday if he's still out. Bartles could potentially take some hits as he just doesn't have the escapability that studs has.  A lot depends on the health of our o line as well.  Their secondary is young and will give up the occasional big pass.....hope we can take advantage.  

Und needs to shove the ball down their throats and control the TOP. Would love to see santiago out wide with Brady and Gordon carrying the ball....Brady 25-30 carries....Gordon 10-15 carries.    We need to match their speed on d with our power game.   Santiago could take short screen passes and then let him do what he does best....juke and go!  Sprinkle in some TE action to victory.

Lastly, the alerus needs to be loud!!!! If only 7000 show,  no excuses for anything under 10000, everyone that attends need to support this team and be loud!!!!  1st down loud!! 2nd down loud!!! 3rd down loud!!!! NAU is a fast paced team that checks all the time....and being loud will disrupt them...gauranteed!  12th man!!!   Our team is a little tired and beat up.....they need support!  It's Senior day, chance for big sky crown, undefeated in big sky, potential seed, national recognition ...this game should be a buzz the entire time!  Bubba has done a fantastic job and the boys have responded now we as fans need to step up!!  

Cant wait!!!!

• Upvote 1

Open thought here:

How come ten plus years ago when a team from Northern Alabama came to the Alerus there was 13,000 plus crazed fans that was the difference in an under talented UND team beating the best team D2 had to offer.  Arguably the biggest home game since that day is this weekend and there may not be 10,000 butts in the seats??  

Did the transition years really hurt that much?  Students don't care?  I thought after the conference situation got better and the team got to the point of competing in the FCS playoffs the Alerus would be full weekly.  

If UND was undefeated playing in the FCS playoffs semifinals would it sell out then?

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

How's this look for my UND weekend:

Friday 1:00 Mens BB home opener
Friday 3:00 Women's BB home opener
Friday night: UND Men's Hockey
Saturday 9 a.m.: Football tailgating
Saturday 11 a.m.: Women's VD (sorry but I gotta tailgate)
Saturday 1:00: Watch football team win conference championship
Saturday night: UND Men's Hockey

I'm thinking this is worth the 220 mile drive. 

Well done!

10 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

How's this look for my UND weekend:

Friday 1:00 Mens BB home opener
Friday 3:00 Women's BB home opener
Friday night: UND Men's Hockey
Saturday 9 a.m.: Football tailgating
Saturday 11 a.m.: Women's VD (sorry but I gotta tailgate)
Saturday 1:00: Watch football team win conference championship
Saturday night: UND Men's Hockey

I'm thinking this is worth the 220 mile drive. 

Including a full blown Thanksgiving Day turkey dinner in the Alerus parking lot...... doesn't get much better than that

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, AJS said:

• Being at home is huge

I'd just like to point out that UND is also on fire. :)

Hard to believe we are already to the last game of the regular season. I seriously feel like I was just sitting at my desk, waiting to get home so I could watch the Stony Brook game. It has been a fun season, and great to know that we aren't done yet.

Take care of business, and beat NAU. Losing Cookus definitely hurt them, but they aren't going to lie down. Gotta "Leave No Doubt"!!!

This will likely be a close game, but if UND can hit on all cyclinders maybe we could turn this into a statement type win, with some fashion points. At least, this is what I'll be hoping for.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Looks like Stanley is listed as Out for this week. Taj and Keaton are both questionable.

I don't see anything listed on Bell or Stockwell, so I'll assume they play unless I see otherwise.

I hope so, I was feeling doubtful about Stockwell. Having him will be huge against NAU. Then they get a couple of weeks to rest up!

1 hour ago, bincitysioux said:

I've got an uneasy feeling about this game.  NAU is solid in all phases of the game.  They've won 4 in a row, including games against Weber and the Jizz.

This probably won't make you feel better but I felt very uneasy before the unc game, but the team showed up and wanted it more. Here's to hoping they hold tough this week!