SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to Summit/MVFC

UND92,96

6 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

Honestly, what do you think the attendance at UND's playoff game this weekend would have been had it been played outdoors in bad weather? We do know that SDSU attracted 5,000+ more fans than UND during the regular season, that is an apples to apples comparison.

I have no idea.  Could the new stadium be part of the reason attendance was so high for them?   Likely.  

When it came down to it and tickets had to be paid for, UND nearly sold out and doubled their attendance.  How much more apples to apples do you want?  

12 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

Honestly, what do you think the attendance at UND's playoff game this weekend would have been had it been played outdoors in bad weather? We do know that SDSU attracted 5,000+ more fans than UND during the regular season, that is an apples to apples comparison.

So they get a pass for being stupid/cheap every time the weather turns bad?  Build an indoor facility like the other three.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, bison73 said:

Well to trying and compare attendance between games being played in a dome against a game being played outside during a snow storm and cold temps is a stretch in itself. Then throwing in a hockey game to boot is---well---amusing.:D

I would normally agree regarding the hockey game but in this case I think the hockey game took a number of fans from the football game.  If we had 7,000-8000 people in NY I have to believe that we could have counted on at least 1,000 of them to be at the football game had they been in town.  I am only guessing but 1/8 being willing to go to the fb game seems reasonable.

2 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

So they get a pass for being stupid/cheap every time the weather turns bad?  Build an indoor facility like the other three.

Don't forget how the interest was so high they could charge an average of $40/ticket. 

Oops

17 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

It really doesn't matter because we didn't play outdoors in bad weather.  SDSU could have built an indoor facility also but didn't.  We shouldn't have to apologize for that.

5 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

It really doesn't matter because we didn't play outdoors in bad weather.  SDSU could have built an indoor facility also but didn't.  We shouldn't have to apologize for that.

Start filling your stadium and you won't have to worry about defending your fan support.

• Downvote 4

7 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

Start filling your stadium and you won't have to worry about defending your fan support.

You asked what our attendance would have been had we been outside. We weren't outside - we were inside so it doesn't matter.  That seems reasonable.  

Nothing about defending fan support.  Just defending the decision to build an indoor facility which seems like a good idea.  Fargo has one also so I am sure you support that.  It makes a difference in attendance when the weather gets cold. SDSU had the same option and chose not to for whatever reason.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, homer said:

Don't forget how the interest was so high they could charge an average of $40/ticket. 

Oops

Or they figured the interest to freeze their butts off wasnt going to be high so they gouged the ones they could.

10 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

You asked what our attendance would have been had we been outside. We weren't outside - we were inside so it doesn't matter.  That seems reasonable.  

Nothing about defending fan support.  Just defending the decision to build an indoor facility which seems like a good idea.  Fargo has one also so I am sure you support that.  It makes a difference in attendance when the weather gets cold. SDSU had the same option and chose not to for whatever reason.

Oh, I think we all know why you don't want to answer the hypothetical question.

I won't give you that SDSU "should have" built an indoor stadium. Sure, playing indoors is great for attendance in December, but you can't beat watching college football outside on a sunny fall day. I am generally in favor of indoor stadiums in cold-weather cities, but there are pluses to playing outdoors.

2 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

Oh, I think we all know why you don't want to answer the hypothetical question.

I won't give you that SDSU "should have" built an indoor stadium. Sure, playing indoors is great for attendance in December, but you can't beat watching college football outside on a sunny fall day. I am generally in favor of indoor stadiums in cold-weather cities, but there are pluses to playing outdoors.

So you insist upon a retractable roof?

12 hours ago, homer said:

I have no idea.  Could the new stadium be part of the reason attendance was so high for them?   Likely.  

When it came down to it and tickets had to be paid for, UND nearly sold out and doubled their attendance.  How much more apples to apples do you want?  

UND did not come close to a sellout. Don't be silly. 

8 minutes ago, homer said:

You put all the people standing on the cat walks in seats and they weren't far off.  It's capacity for football is slightly over 12,000. 

That implies that thousands of people that did not buy a ticket were in the building.  

43 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

That implies that thousands of people that did not buy a ticket were in the building.  

No, it implies that UND followed the same tactic of every other school that reports playoff attendance and under reported.  

I never said it sold out.  So what I said was accurate.  

5 minutes ago, homer said:

No, it implies that UND followed the same tactic of every other school that reports playoff attendance and under reported.  

I never said it sold out.  So what I said was accurate.  

So, you rather say that UND is ripping off the NCAA by under reporting ticket sales than admit there were some empty seats?

3 hours ago, Gothmog said:

So, you rather say that UND is ripping off the NCAA by under reporting ticket sales than admit there were some empty seats?

There were empty seats.  But being a season ticket holder for more than 10 years there were also more than 9800 fans at that game.  Is that better?

Again, I never once said it was a sellout.  That was another one of your Bison faithful being concerned about UND attendance numbers. 

5 hours ago, JohnboyND7 said:

UND did not come close to a sellout. Don't be silly. 

Pretty crazy to see that they got what they did considering 8-9k fans traveled to New York for the hockey game. Granted, not all of those fans traveled from Grand Forks, but if you could even get 2-4k of that group to go to football games, UND football attendance would be in a great position. We still wouldn't match the Bison's attendance, but that will likely never happen. Not that it should be about matching what NDSU fan output is, so much as maximizing UND's output potential.

Making a playoff run would certainly have helped. Best UND can do now is go out and try to repeat their success on the field next season. 

25 minutes ago, Cratter said:

In a 19,000+ stadium, I would.

It's easy to criticize when your team plays indoors, so you don't have to actually sit outside yourself. Nevertheless, If a were a bunny fan, I wouldn't have let the weather keep me away.