SiouxSports.com Forum

Bracketology

petey23

2 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

It certainly isn't clear cut, but a win against NDSU is easily better than any win UND has on their resume. No disrespect, just calling it like I see it.

For the record, seeding UND and SDSU is a toss up IMO for the 7 and 8 seeds. Pretty similar resumes. Common opponent Cal Poly likely gave UND the slight edge.

I agree that SDSU's win over NDSU is bigger than any UND has on the schedule.  But SDSU also lost to Poly who UND beat.  UND was two plays from being 11-0 and that may have played into the discussion as well (although unlikely).

• Upvote 1

Just now, Bison06 said:

Yes, but 9-2 vs 8-3 is a toss up in the committee's mind. They routinely seed teams higher with worse records. It's usually about who the wins and losses were against.

Just saying....it's really wasn't close. UND not only won vs common opponents but also had more wins.

...actually the only thing SDSU has going for it is catching NDSU on an off day. Like USD did last year.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

NDSU's run will end this year, no team with Easton Stick will win a title.  Jacks will pick them off in Fargo.

I started this post planning on ripping Stick but he played well enough last year and this year to be 18-1 as a starter.  Sure, it's not all him but he hasn't lost games by himself.

3 minutes ago, Cratter said:

And the fact UND won more games.

.....actually the only thing SDSU has going for it is catching NDSU on an off day. Like USD did last year.

The only thing? Not sure I agree with you there? SDSU had a solid season. Nothing groundbreaking, but a solid year.

3 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Yes, but 9-2 vs 8-3 is a toss up in the committee's mind. They routinely seed teams higher with worse records. It's usually about who the wins and losses were against.

So, 9-2 and 8-3 is a toss-up. What's that make 8-3 and 7-4? How about 7-4 and 6-5? 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Bison06 said:

The only thing? Not sure I agree with you there? SDSU had a solid season. Nothing groundbreaking, but a solid year.

You don't win the Big Sky or MVFC by being mediocre, especially this year.  Only two teams in the BS and MVFC went undefeated in conference play.  SDSU wasn't one of them.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Cratter said:

Just saying....it's really wasn't close. UND not only won vs common opponents but also had more wins.

...actually the only thing SDSU has going for it is catching NDSU on an off day. Like USD did last year.

If it wasn't close, why was everybody here sweating it out. If you pinned down the committee members, which we'all never know, my guess is they had a difficult time deciding on the 7 and 8 seeds. Ultimately I believe they got it right, but I don't believe it was an easy decision for the committee.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, southpaw said:

I agree that SDSU's win over NDSU is bigger than any UND has on the schedule.  But SDSU also lost to Poly who UND beat.  UND was two plays from being 11-0 and that may have played into the discussion as well (although unlikely).

On the flip side UND could have easily had 2 more losses but that did't happen either.  Teams we're seeded accordingly to what actually happened on the field this season.  UND ended up where they should have as did the Jacks.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bison06 said:

If it wasn't close, why was everybody here sweating it out. If you pinned down the committee members, which we'all never know, my guess is they had a difficult time deciding on the 7 and 8 seeds. Ultimately I believe they got it right, but I don't believe it was an easy decision for the committee.

I was expecting to not get a seed and to be sent to Fargo until I saw Craig Hayleys prediction this morning. 

2 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

On the flip side UND could have easily had 2 more losses but that did't happen either.  Teams we're seeded accordingly to what actually happened on the field this season.  UND ended up where they should have as did the Jacks.

I have a lot of NDSU friends and family who already have tickets for Frisco.  With Southwest being so generous about refunds, I bought two flights to Frisco for myself and the lady friend.  Here's to hoping I don't have to cancel them and can buy my relative's tickets while they reminisce about not getting 6 straight nattys!

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

It certainly isn't clear cut, but a win against NDSU is easily better than any win UND has on their resume. No disrespect, just calling it like I see it.

For the record, seeding UND and SDSU is a toss up IMO for the 7 and 8 seeds. Pretty similar resumes. Common opponent Cal Poly likely gave UND the slight edge.

Half the MVFC is below .500

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

ANALYTICS NDSU style.  

Try the committee's style. Check the bracket and tell me how many teams that have more losses are seeded below teams with less losses. Heck the only undefeated team in the bracket is seeded 5th. 

Im not coming here to disrespect UND, UND had a heck of a season and is seeded where they earned. Just discussing the seeds. No need to get chippy.

21 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

ESPNU listed the first two out ... Albany and ... I swore it was Lehigh ... 

Last four in? Cal Poly, Illinois State, ?, Weber State. 

It was Albany (7-4) and Fordham (8-3) as first two out. 

Cal Poly, Illinois State, Samford, Weber State were last four in. 

2 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

If you can tell me that coming into this morning, you felt it was absolutely 100% clear cut to the committee that SDSU had a non comparable resume to UND then I'll be quiet.

First year of giving seeds before the show meaning first year they had to start to actually put thought into the selections.

Nervous because they had a history of incompetence.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Cratter said:

First year of giving seeds before the show meaning first year they had to start to actually out thought into the selections.

Nervous because they had a history of incompetence.

So what are we disagreeing about then. I've said UND and SDSU had similar resumes. Ultimately, I think UND deserves the 7, but that SDSU win over NDSU in Fargo is definitely an x-factor when looking at their resume. It's likely it was cause for discussion for the committee when it came to seeding 7 and 8. That's all I've said.