SiouxSports.com Forum

Youth hockey in GF

Vegas_Sioux

In house has 16 games and and no travel. Who the heck did they play? Lack of interest (6 players) so it was cancelled? How many the year before? 30? Totaling two teams 16 games against the same team? Was there a huge drop in participation (if yes why)?

I'm guessing those other parents must actually enjoy going to different cities and the traveling..it's like complaining there's nothing to watch on satellite tv.

31 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Travel hockey at age 10 is 70% keeping up with the Joneses, 20% drinking/hanging with the other parents, and 10% making the kid happy/perception of giving greater opportunity.  It's also about 97% built on credit card debt.

I've never had a kid who played, so can't say I'm familiar with the environment.  But dang this is exactly how I perceive it.

My best memories are from youth travel hockey in the cities.  The down time with "nothing to do" between games was the best part.  I know my parents had a blast as well, and both they and I made lifelong friends.  Although we delt with some CRAZY parents, I don't think I would trade that lifestyle for anything, and I look forward to the out of town trips as a parent.

This guy's writing is terrible (does he even have a thesis?) and he's all over the place, but there's a certain, unlikable "Get off my lawn" tone throughout his entire rant.  I can't separate the accusations from the observations, nor can I shake the notion that he's flat-out attacking people who (gasp!) don't share each and every one of his views on parenting.

I am surprised that participation in GF's in-house hockey program is so low, but it appears that participation in travel is UP, and I don't see how that could ever be a bad thing.  Supply and demand at work.  And a large infusion of cash and energy into the local association makes for a healthy association.  Cost need not be a barrier; financial aid is available and all efforts should be made to raise funds for that very purpose.

For any parents who are on the fence, I will say only this:  if you and your child can experience, just once, the Squirt International in Fargo, you will understand what it's all about.

I've got soccer, not hockey, so we travel mainly in the summer.  The guy makes a point about the parents making friends, but totally missed the point of the kids bonding.  Kids see each other at school (sometimes, anyway. Our summer team has 7 different high schools represented), but when they are on a road trip and all at the same hotel, the friendships that are formed are undeniable.  Just like a college team going on the road and chemistry being forged, the younger kids do something similar.  My daughter is not the star of her summer team, but she loves it and those friendships will serve her well all the way through graduation and beyond.  When I saw how her high school team reacted after state last spring, all I could think about was how much better their season would have been with a weekend tournament in the cities early in the year...

56 minutes ago, siouxforcefans said:

I've got soccer, not hockey, so we travel mainly in the summer.  The guy makes a point about the parents making friends, but totally missed the point of the kids bonding.  Kids see each other at school (sometimes, anyway. Our summer team has 7 different high schools represented), but when they are on a road trip and all at the same hotel, the friendships that are formed are undeniable.  Just like a college team going on the road and chemistry being forged, the younger kids do something similar.  My daughter is not the star of her summer team, but she loves it and those friendships will serve her well all the way through graduation and beyond. 

Interesting..........................our situation sounds very similar.  Have we ever crossed paths? ;)

West Fargo they have to try out for the in house non travel teams

My 2 grandsons are on both park board & travel teams in fact 2 or 3 different travel teams

We love going to all the travel games that we can - lots of nice arenas big & small