SiouxSports.com Forum

USD welcome back to the Alerus

SENDSIOUX

My pick is North Dakota 31-21 but it wouldn't surprise me if that margin grows closer to 17 by games end..  One of the biggest reasons for that is that I don't think at this point of the season that USD has a very good defense at all.  It looks like it will be power vs power when it's USD's offense vs UND's defense and not so much when it is UND's offense vs USD's defense.  UND fans have every right to think they will win the game this afternoon/evening.  On the Coyote board most are picking a USD win except for me and maybe one or two other posters.  Overall I didn't think the Coyotes were overly impressive against Weber and had to pull off a near miracle just to win a home game against a mediocre Weber State team.  I do think the Valley is a little tougher than the Big Sky but USD has also won a combined 6 games in the conference over the last 4 years.  To my recollection they pretty much have split their games against Big Sky opponents during that time frame.  USD is probably a mid level Big Sky team if they were in that conference.  

Streveler is the best offensive player on the Coyotes and it's not even close.  The only thing I think that the Hawks fans may be over estimating is how many or few yards they will hold the Coyotes to on the ground.  I can see the type of game where the UND defense will hold the Coyotes to 3 yard or less for the majority of their carries and then Streveler will break a 50 yard run.  I can definately see a game where Steveler runs for about 100 yards and the rest of the team only combines for about 50 more for 150 yards total.  The key for USD is how well they will be able to keep the Hawks defense honest by how well they will be able to thrown the ball.  Many think UND holds USD to 100 yards or less rushing but I think that number exceeds that mark but just not enough to be able to pull out a win.  

This years Coyote team is simply going through way too many changes to the team overall with basically all new coaches and severe losses on the defensive side of the ball.  The Coyotes are too young in the transition process to pull out a game like this IMO.  With more than a year under their belts I think next time these two teams play a different Coyote team will show up in Vermillion than what will show up today.  Nielson will have the Coyotes playing much better going into the game next time around.  This year the dice roll green.            

• Upvote 1

I'll be on my way to GF for in a couple hours. Gameday prediction: 27-21 UND. 

Also saw Stoney Brook plays #2 Richmond today. Prediction: 2-0 SB. The best defense in ALL of college FB wins it with a safety.

Bonus pick: Iowa 38 NDSU 13

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Are you sure? :silly:

No I'm not sure but if they could generate any type of offense this team would be really good.   353 total yrds and zero offensive tds in 2 games puts a ton of pressure on their d.   Plus Richmond is possibly the best team this year that has done some damage so far.   

We might see first hand the best d today in the alerus ;)   

13 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

No I'm not sure but if they could generate any type of offense this team would be really good.   353 total yrds and zero offensive tds in 2 games puts a ton of pressure on their d.   Plus Richmond is possibly the best team this year that has done some damage so far.   

We might see first hand the best d today in the alerus ;)   

Watch for the barb when pulling out the hook.

Congratulations to UND for pulling out the win.  I honestly did think that USD was a better team and after the first drive of the third quarter when they went up by 20 I was convinced I was right.  USD made too many catastrophic mistakes to win Saturday and showed an inability to put UND away when they had them on the ropes.  UND then made the plays they needed to get back in the game and then finish.

Best of luck in the Sky this season.

3 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

Congratulations to UND for pulling out the win.  I honestly did think that USD was a better team and after the first drive of the third quarter when they went up by 20 I was convinced I was right.  USD made too many catastrophic mistakes to win Saturday and showed an inability to put UND away when they had them on the ropes.  UND then made the plays they needed to get back in the game and then finish.

Honest criticism that I feel needs to be said to make Yote fans lives easier:  Those "catastrophic mistakes" that you guys keep poo-pooing away like they didn't happen are going to continue to happen for the rest of the year.  

Steveler is not a good "QB".  He is Tim Tebow.  He is going to throw HORRIBLE balls about 5 times a game and they are going to kill you.  Hell, Torrey Hunt should have picked off the OT pass and he would have been gone for a 95 yard TD to end it.  Flat out dropped it.

That being said, he is is an outstanding runner.  Very good.  Very tough to bring down.  He is good at throwing up '500' balls and hoping his guys come down with them.  

Your fans completely dismissed the 21 points you "gave" to Weber State and acted like you won by 20.  Your fans have already completely dismissed the 14 points you "gave" to UND.   FYI, turnovers are part of the game, every week, every game in the country.  Just because your's are completely disastrous doesn't mean they don't count.  Sensing a theme.  

• Upvote 2

On 9/16/2016 at 1:30 PM, Yote 53 said:

Not trolling because that would imply I am trying to hook you guys into something.  There is no hook here.  USD is simply a stronger program in a stronger conference at this time.  Yeah, MVFC cellar dwellers, who happen to have no problem beating Big Sky teams when we face them.  Even the most prestigious program in the BSC, Montana, has barely escaped us twice. 

UND fans, of all people, should remember that feeling from when you were back in the NCC that when you played OOC it was "no problem, we got this".  It's the exact same feelings we have right now.  There is nothing intimidating about going to Grand Forks or playing against an opponent from another conference anymore.

dude . . . just leave now.  i'm almost embarassed for you.

26 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

Actually, the two teams were fairly evenly matched.  UND gave up 10 points off turnovers themselves, but I don't hear UND fans using those as excuses.  When the second pick 6 happened, total yards were almost dead even, so it's not like USD was completely punishing UND.  The second quarter and the first drive of the 3rd quarter is when USD got about 260 of their 400 yards - other than that UND held them down pretty well.  USDs defensive line got really good push on UND, and on offense they ran hard/broke some tackles and made some good plays.  Streveler is a good running QB, but I couldn't help but think that there was a reason that UofM moved him to WR.  Not that Studsrud threw the ball much better.......

You've got a pretty good football team down there, and I wish you luck the rest of the way.  I hope you do well in the Valley.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

Defending Unds offense will be your d's easist assignment all year and you couldn't get it done.  We have a kindergartner calling the plays.  #15 is big and tough but a flat out bad passer. I believe he fits your up tempo style and will win you games this year however.   Was it you that mentioned he would run effortlessly thorough und? If so, what is your thought on this? 

Goid luck to usd the rest of the year 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Yote 53 said:

Thanks for stopping back again. The yotes offense was pretty impressive. Streveler did a lot of nice things, but ultimately had to many mistakes. UND's offense certainly is not potent; we have potential and could be much better as the year goes on, but we have not been very good yet. I do think USD is in a similar boat. A team with a ton of potential, just needs to clean up some things and play consistent.

Best of luck the rest of the way!

1 hour ago, UND-1 said:

Honest criticism that I feel needs to be said to make Yote fans lives easier:  Those "catastrophic mistakes" that you guys keep poo-pooing away like they didn't happen are going to continue to happen for the rest of the year.  

Steveler is not a good "QB".  He is Tim Tebow.  He is going to throw HORRIBLE balls about 5 times a game and they are going to kill you.  Hell, Torrey Hunt should have picked off the OT pass and he would have been gone for a 95 yard TD to end it.  Flat out dropped it.

That being said, he is is an outstanding runner.  Very good.  Very tough to bring down.  He is good at throwing up '500' balls and hoping his guys come down with them.  

Your fans completely dismissed the 21 points you "gave" to Weber State and acted like you won by 20.  Your fans have already completely dismissed the 14 points you "gave" to UND.   FYI, turnovers are part of the game, every week, every game in the country.  Just because your's are completely disastrous doesn't mean they don't count.  Sensing a theme.  

Spot on the entire post!  Streveler really impressed me as runner... Tough & gritty kid.  As a passer, not so much.  The yotes are gonna live & die with him. Take the good with the bad. I hope the yotes are confident in their backup as well.  Running Streveler 20+ times a game, he is going to take a pounding over the course of the season... Especially in that tough as nails Valley, after he looked to take a pretty good beating against a "big fluffy" team on Saturday night. 

As for the "catatrophic mistakes", hope he realizes that UND lost a fumble on their own 20 (which led to 3 yote plays for 1 yard & a chip-shot field goal), as well as a tipped-ball INT on UND's own 30, which led to a yote TD drive.  10 points for the yotes off 2 turnovers, where they only had to gain 31 yards. 

On 9/17/2016 at 4:20 AM, Coyote Fan said:

My pick is North Dakota 31-21 but it wouldn't surprise me if that margin grows closer to 17 by games end..  One of the biggest reasons for that is that I don't think at this point of the season that USD has a very good defense at all.  It looks like it will be power vs power when it's USD's offense vs UND's defense and not so much when it is UND's offense vs USD's defense.  UND fans have every right to think they will win the game this afternoon/evening.  On the Coyote board most are picking a USD win except for me and maybe one or two other posters.  Overall I didn't think the Coyotes were overly impressive against Weber and had to pull off a near miracle just to win a home game against a mediocre Weber State team.  I do think the Valley is a little tougher than the Big Sky but USD has also won a combined 6 games in the conference over the last 4 years.  To my recollection they pretty much have split their games against Big Sky opponents during that time frame.  USD is probably a mid level Big Sky team if they were in that conference.  

Streveler is the best offensive player on the Coyotes and it's not even close.  The only thing I think that the Hawks fans may be over estimating is how many or few yards they will hold the Coyotes to on the ground.  I can see the type of game where the UND defense will hold the Coyotes to 3 yard or less for the majority of their carries and then Streveler will break a 50 yard run.  I can definately see a game where Steveler runs for about 100 yards and the rest of the team only combines for about 50 more for 150 yards total.  The key for USD is how well they will be able to keep the Hawks defense honest by how well they will be able to thrown the ball.  Many think UND holds USD to 100 yards or less rushing but I think that number exceeds that mark but just not enough to be able to pull out a win.  

This years Coyote team is simply going through way too many changes to the team overall with basically all new coaches and severe losses on the defensive side of the ball.  The Coyotes are too young in the transition process to pull out a game like this IMO.  With more than a year under their belts I think next time these two teams play a different Coyote team will show up in Vermillion than what will show up today.  Nielson will have the Coyotes playing much better going into the game next time around.  This year the dice roll green.            

You were definitely right about rushing for over 100 against us.  Game could have gone either way, but this was one that we absolutely had to have and somehow we found a way to get it done.  Thanks for your post and good luck to the Coyotes the rest of the way.

On 9/16/2016 at 0:53 PM, Yote 53 said:

I guess the only way I can understand why UND fans are so confident is because you are at home and you are relying on ancient history for your predictions.  We haven't played each other in years.  None of the coaches or players are even around anymore.  What has changed is that UND has been wondering around in the Big Sky wilderness for years.  To put it in hockey terms that you all understand, USD has been cutting its teeth in the NCHC and you guys have been hanging around in the WCHA.  The conferences are that far apart.  Every time you have tangled with another Dakota school since you joined the BSC it hasn't gone well for you.  This isn't the same USD program you grew up with anymore guys. 

I said it on the USD board so I'll say it here, USD is 20+ points better than UND on a neutral field, since it is in GF I'll give you guys 7 more.  USD 31 - UND 17.

Sure.

The 'Yotes are Western Michigan and we'll be Bemidji State.

not a whole lot of difference.