SiouxSports.com Forum

USD welcome back to the Alerus

SENDSIOUX

12 hours ago, Yotes said:

You like that? Awful lot of confidence on this board for a team that could only score 9 points against Stony Brook. I'll be making my first trip to Grand Forks this weekend. Not expecting anything but a cold shoulder from the fans, but I am expecting a tight game on the field. There will be lots of crow to be eaten here when Streveler effortlessly surpasses 100 yards rushing.

10 hours ago, Yotes said:

The warm welcome I was expecting. If the tailgate is anything like this message board I anticipate delusional rants about the "Slummit" around every corner. Should be a close game, hope to meet some fun people.

Wait, so a Coyote fan comes on to a UND website, makes sarcastic comments and comes off as smug, arrogant and cocky and is expecting to be treated with class and respect when he comes in and acts the same way when he walks into the tailgate lot and stadium of an opposing fanbase?  Um...ok!!:blink:

• Upvote 3

Not going to give a score prediction but tomorrow is a must win for UND at this stage of their season.  Tomorrow's game will speak volumes about the coaching staff and the players. Lots of vibrato and rhetoric in the off season and pre-season......time to get a win.

4 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Not going to give a score prediction but tomorrow is a must win for UND at this stage of their season.  Tomorrow's game will speak volumes about the coaching staff and the players. Lots of vibrato and rhetoric in the off season and pre-season......time to get a win.

It is definitely a must win game, but more than that, I would like to see a convincing win. Something to really get the momentum rolling on this team. Lets get the whole team clicking before we have to hit the road again.

5 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Anyone else need a Santiago Home Run fix. He had a nice game last weekend, but I really want to see the kid have a game like he did against N Colorado or Mt State, and hit a big long runs.

This would be the week for it to finally happen.  USD's secondary is pretty average, not a ton of speed back there.  The Weber kid ran away from them last week and he is no Santiago.  

I went to school during the transition, so I disproportionately hate USD. I can't make the game, but my van will be there in my stead.  I hope we run all over them, and sack city grows faster than Williston in the oil boom. I can't stand anything about USD. Their stupid U. crap, their stupid dome, their mangy dog mascot, any of it. Just beat 'em and get this bad boy back on track.

• Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, ericpnelson said:

I went to school during the transition, so I disproportionately hate USD. I can't make the game, but my van will be there in my stead.  I hope we run all over them, and sack city grows faster than Williston in the oil boom. I can't stand anything about USD. Their stupid U. crap, their stupid dome, their mangy dog mascot, any of it. Just beat 'em and get this bad boy back on track.

Me too, but graduated in 07. I have been following closely since then and it has been painful at times. Keep the faith boys!

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Kab said:

So kfgo has the radio contract for football

why are they covering the bison game in the morning and then Joel is flying back to cover the Sioux game

its pregame from iowa

why not the Sioux pregame only

KFGO has done a great job of covering and talking about UND athletics. Faison is on there on a regular basis. So are our coaches. NDSU playing Iowa deserves special coverage. When (not if) UND gets home playoff games, KFGO will likely drive up to Grand Forks to give that event the coverage it deserves.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Yotes said:

You like that? Awful lot of confidence on this board for a team that could only score 9 points against Stony Brook. I'll be making my first trip to Grand Forks this weekend. Not expecting anything but a cold shoulder from the fans, but I am expecting a tight game on the field. There will be lots of crow to be eaten here when Streveler effortlessly surpasses 100 yards rushing.

I'm confident in UND's ability to get the job done. Should be a good game. You've overlooked UND's defensive ability; far better than Weber State and even FBS New Mexico. 

• Upvote 2

I guess the only way I can understand why UND fans are so confident is because you are at home and you are relying on ancient history for your predictions.  We haven't played each other in years.  None of the coaches or players are even around anymore.  What has changed is that UND has been wondering around in the Big Sky wilderness for years.  To put it in hockey terms that you all understand, USD has been cutting its teeth in the NCHC and you guys have been hanging around in the WCHA.  The conferences are that far apart.  Every time you have tangled with another Dakota school since you joined the BSC it hasn't gone well for you.  This isn't the same USD program you grew up with anymore guys. 

I said it on the USD board so I'll say it here, USD is 20+ points better than UND on a neutral field, since it is in GF I'll give you guys 7 more.  USD 31 - UND 17.

1 minute ago, Yote 53 said:

I guess the only way I can understand why UND fans are so confident is because you are at home and you are relying on ancient history for your predictions.  We haven't played each other in years.  None of the coaches or players are even around anymore.  What has changed is that UND has been wondering around in the Big Sky wilderness for years.  To put it in hockey terms that you all understand, USD has been cutting its teeth in the NCHA and you guys have been hanging around in the WCHA.  The conferences are that far apart.  Every time you have tangled with another Dakota school since you joined the BSC it hasn't gone well for you.  This isn't the same USD program you grew up with anymore guys. 

I said it on the USD board so I'll say it here, USD is 20+ points better than UND on a neutral field, since it is in GF I'll give you guys 7 more.  USD 31 - UND 17.

Hold that thought until after the game.

• Upvote 1

Just ignore Yote 53, he was being obnoxious on the USD board too. Try to talk football over there, and most people are pretty cool, but you get your trolls everywhere that just want to argue.

Ultimately, both teams have plenty reason to be confident about this game:

UND is 0-2. USD is 1-1. UND is 5pts from being 2-0, USD is 3 pts from being 0-2. UND has a stud RB and a solid D. USD has a pretty solid transfer QB, and their RB has played well. In comparable games from last season (NDSU and Drake) USD fared far better. UND gets home field advantage.

All together, it is not ridiculous for either fan base to feel they have an edge in this one. As I am a UND fan, and have watched more UND football; I think of offense comes alive this week. I think our defense does the job containing Bouma, but I think Streveler will get some yards.

31-24 UND

19 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

I guess the only way I can understand why UND fans are so confident is because you are at home and you are relying on ancient history for your predictions.  We haven't played each other in years.  None of the coaches or players are even around anymore.  What has changed is that UND has been wondering around in the Big Sky wilderness for years.  To put it in hockey terms that you all understand, USD has been cutting its teeth in the NCHC and you guys have been hanging around in the WCHA.  The conferences are that far apart.  Every time you have tangled with another Dakota school since you joined the BSC it hasn't gone well for you.  This isn't the same USD program you grew up with anymore guys. 

Grinding it's teeth is being very kind.  

The only thing I am jealous of USD about is you got rid of a coach at the right time.  We hung on to ours and it set us back a few years.  

More yards rushing tomorrow:. USD or John Santiago? 

2 minutes ago, homer said:

Grinding it's teeth is being very kind.  

The only thing I am jealous of USD about is you got rid of a coach at the right time.  We hung on to ours and it set us back a few years.  

More yards rushing tomorrow:. USD or John Santiago? 

I'll take Santiago all day:D

23 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

Here's the problem Broski, you play like a Big Sky team.  USD's defense has been terrible and their offense is fast paced.  Your conference affiliation has done nothing for you, obviously.

Most every time UND "tangles" with USD it has gone quite well.  

• Upvote 2

Not trolling because that would imply I am trying to hook you guys into something.  There is no hook here.  USD is simply a stronger program in a stronger conference at this time.  Yeah, MVFC cellar dwellers, who happen to have no problem beating Big Sky teams when we face them.  Even the most prestigious program in the BSC, Montana, has barely escaped us twice. 

UND fans, of all people, should remember that feeling from when you were back in the NCC that when you played OOC it was "no problem, we got this".  It's the exact same feelings we have right now.  There is nothing intimidating about going to Grand Forks or playing against an opponent from another conference anymore.

17 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

Your comparison is terrible, I don't hate USD at all, I have quite a bit of friends going there. 

MVFC and Big Sky are not like NCHC-WCHA. If you want to compare to hockey the two are closer to NCHC-Hockey East. Both conferences have teams that are considered FCS Powerhouses: NDSU & UNI for MVFC, with Montana and Eastern Washington for Big Sky. You add in a 3rd school for both with Sodak St and Montana St. Last year SDSU was better than Montana St but are close to a push. Historically I would take Montana St.

USD is noway 20+ points better on a neutral field. They are not even 20+ points better on USD turf. UND defense is much much better than Weber State. You are also comparing UND offense to the Stoney Brook game, a team that defense strives itself in shutting down the type of offense UND is. You aren't taking into consideration how well this offense was clicking at the end of last  year when it gained experience. Took the first game and half to get line to start gaining some confidence, and a few freshman are thrown in at positions that they weren't expecting to get so much time yet until Clive's injury occurred. They showed some chemistry in the 2nd half against Bowling Green. 

This game is going to be a strength vs strength when USD is on Offense and North Dakota is on Defense. UND run defense is better than USD run offense. Pass offense of USD is probably better than UND pass D if you look at last 3 years, and long plays at BGSU. However UND defense was able to pick off 3 passes and showed alot of improvement. I also don't know if USD is as likely as FBS BGSU to hit those long plays, with weakness in coverage. This will be a close game, no matter who is better, which I believe is North Dakota, however its a UND-USD game, even the UND-SDSU game a few years back(2013) was close game at 35-28, when game ended after a INT after UND was driving. UND was nowhere near where they are now. Offense may have been some better, but defense was not good. SDSU ended up #13 that year going into Playoffs and #2 in MVFC. 

Random fact: MVFC had 2 in Playoffs and Big Sky had 4. Yes NDSU won that year as I know someone will bring that up

34 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

Last time I checked UND was around a 4.5 point favorite and having placed an occasional FB bet myself in the past I do know the home team gets a customary 3 point bump meaning on a neutral field people way smarter than you on this topic would have UND around a 1.5 point favorite.

• Upvote 2