SiouxSports.com Forum

What the hell is the deal with ASU hockey

ArchyAlum11

On 7/5/2016 at 10:47 AM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

I think the "travel" word is what is holding up asu...I don't think western mich and Miami are happy in the nchc (travel and lack of regional rivals-bgu or notre dame) and I think the majority of teams in the wcha aren't happy either (travel-Alaska-twice, Alabama, and now maybe Arizona?)...I think asu is trying to talk unlv to jump with them..i don't think asu wants to join the wcha one year and see it implode and go scrambling for another conference the next year...

Since their alternative was the WCHA, I can guarantee you they are happy with the NCHC even if they are struggling. 

1 minute ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

why would bowling green join the nchc now when they said no a few years ago when it was formed?

i wonder if mankato sees a some conference alignment happening soon and see themselves (and bemidji) as the odd man out?

Just like SCSU said no?

3 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

why would bowling green join the nchc now when they said no a few years ago when it was formed?

i wonder if mankato sees a some conference alignment happening soon and see themselves (and bemidji) as the odd man out?

Where do you get that BG was invited? I've never heard that. 

5 minutes ago, southpaw said:

Where do you get that BG was invited? I've never heard that. 

iirc it was supposed to be

und

umd

omaha

cc

denver

western mich

miami

and notre dame who said no then bowling green said no and then scsu said yes thank you lord

• Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

iirc it was supposed to be

und

umd

omaha

cc

denver

western mich

miami

and notre dame who said no then bowling green said no and then scsu said yes thank you lord

Wrong. Western was not an original team. They were added with SCSU. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, southpaw said:

Wrong. Western was not an original team. They were added with SCSU. 

wrong...western and miami were a package deal...western just had to prove that they were gonna fund their program at a higher level which was taken care of quickly...it was supposed to 3 western, 2 midwest, and 3 eastern schools...notre dame messed it up a little

2 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

wrong...western and miami were a package deal...western just had to prove that they were gonna fund their program at a higher level which was taken care of quickly...it was supposed to 3 western, 2 midwest, and 3 eastern schools...notre dame messed it up a little

From the league website:

" The motivation for forming this new conference came as the landscape of college hockey began to change in the spring of 2011. When Penn State University announced it was starting a college hockey program in the spring of 2011, the Big 10 hockey conference was created. The seismic shift sent ripples throughout the college hockey world and left many institutions searching for stability. On July 13, 2011, the leaders from six schools, Colorado College, the University of Denver, Miami University, the University of Minnesota Duluth, the University of Nebraska Omaha and the University of North Dakota announced the decision to start their own conference beginning in the 2013-14 academic year. On Sept. 22, 2011, St. Cloud State University and Western Michigan University accepted invitations and the NCHC grew to its current membership of eight teams."

6 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

From the league website:

" The motivation for forming this new conference came as the landscape of college hockey began to change in the spring of 2011. When Penn State University announced it was starting a college hockey program in the spring of 2011, the Big 10 hockey conference was created. The seismic shift sent ripples throughout the college hockey world and left many institutions searching for stability. On July 13, 2011, the leaders from six schools, Colorado College, the University of Denver, Miami University, the University of Minnesota Duluth, the University of Nebraska Omaha and the University of North Dakota announced the decision to start their own conference beginning in the 2013-14 academic year. On Sept. 22, 2011, St. Cloud State University and Western Michigan University accepted invitations and the NCHC grew to its current membership of eight teams."

and you believe this?  no mention of notre dame in here so its a little shady as to who the original "members" were...western was always in but got a little cold feet about how the nchc was requiring them to spend on hockey to be "serious" in the nchc...

4 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

and you believe this?  no mention of notre dame in here so its a little shady as to who the original "members" were...western was always in but got a little cold feet about how the nchc was requiring them to spend on hockey to be "serious" in the nchc...

Yeah? Notre Dame was never a member of the NCHC, so why would they be mentioned?

• Upvote 2

Just now, UNDBIZ said:

Yeah? Notre Dame was never a member of the NCHC, so why would they be mentioned?

just saying that it was probably a lot like the show survivor...western was always in the mix from the beginning but alliances were formed and then they were on the outside looking in and just had to prove that they were serious about hockey. same thing with notre dame...they probably said they were in til the end and then when the vote came they walked away.

9 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

It's a brand new HOCKEY conference SiouxFan, I'd hope there'd be a crystal clear expectation for member teams to have a strong commitment to hockey......

2 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

just saying that it was probably a lot like the show survivor...western was always in the mix from the beginning but alliances were formed and then they were on the outside looking in and just had to prove that they were serious about hockey. same thing with notre dame...they probably said they were in til the end and then when the vote came they walked away.

You literally know nothing about any NCHC conversations. You've thrown a lot of crap at the wall and none of it sticks.

WMU was a late add after the NCHC said no to Notre Dame. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

The NCHC's dream scenario involved Notre Dame and Boston College, not Western Michigan.

Would never happen. No way BC would ever leave HE, but that would certainly be a fun team to start an annual rivalry with. I have no desire to ever play in the same conference as Notre Dame, not a fan of their program. You ever get into a conference with them and they will want to call all the shots. No thanks!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, siouxfan512 said:

Would never happen. No way BC would ever leave HE, but that would certainly be a fun team to start an annual rivalry with. I have no desire to ever play in the same conference as Notre Dame, not a fan of their program. You ever get into a conference with them and they will want to call all the shots. No thanks!

And that's why we have Western Michigan and Jan Brady State.

12 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

And that's why we have Western Michigan and Jan Brady State.

Western Michigan doesn't do much for me either. Just not a ton of history there, and it never seems like the most exciting sereis (certainly not like a DU). I'm like having St Cloud in the conference. They have put a good product on the ice and the proximity makes for a fun rivalry. Tough to say anything bad about Motzko with the job he has done.

2 hours ago, #MACtion said:

The final roster of school-produced Olympic events shown on Pac-12 Plus will be determined as the season approaches, but will include Olympic sports such as soccer, volleyball, gymnastics, baseball, ice hockey, swimming & diving, softball, track & field, wrestling, lacrosse, tennis, and water polo.

Uh, the phrase "Olympic" is normally reserved for college sports that don't have athletes move on to professional leagues. Yeah, I'm wordsmithing ... 

3 hours ago, #MACtion said:

http://pac-12.com/article/2016/07/14/pac-12-networks-announces-live-streaming-partnership-twitter?utm_source=HootSuite&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=JustinKarpPosts

PAC-12 Networks just announced a deal to stream Arizona State ice hockey games live on Twitter.

So NCHC conference games at ASU would be live on Twitter.

Arizona State has shown game online for free, unless the Pac-12 Network is showing them then you pay for it. 

On 7/14/2016 at 0:54 PM, cberkas said:

Arizona State has shown game online for free, unless the Pac-12 Network is showing them then you pay for it. 

If they join the NCHC, they would probably be under the same NCHC.TV package that everyone else is on. 

10 hours ago, keikla said:

http://thebeaverblog.areavoices.com/2016/07/15/realignment-2016-minnesota-state-leaving-bsu-and-the-wcha-behind/

Some interesting thoughts from Jack Hittinger (Bemidji beat writer) about Mankato's potential move.  I didn't realize how isolated Bemidji becomes with a Mankato departure.

Minot State could have an opening to be Bemidji's local partner.  After all, their both Beavers.  :lol: