SiouxSports.com Forum

What the hell is the deal with ASU hockey

ArchyAlum11

14 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

bemidji is closer (home and home are nice because even one game at home on a weekend is nice) - Can't argue with that.

bemidji the town is nicer - Bemidji has the lake but other than that Mankato is closer to the twin cities which is nice for alumni that live in the cities area. Addtionally Verizon wirless center is walking distance from a ton of bars, restaurants and hotels.You can sit down get pizza and a pitcher of Organ grinder beer at Pagliai's Pizza and be in the arena in less than 5 mins.

bemidji has a better arena - Debatable since the arena underwent a $32 million upgrade, including a modern LCD screen at center ice.

bemidji has been to the frozen four this century - and they have not made it back to the tourney since then.

Bemidji's coach isn't an asshole - Are you taking about Hastings or Judding? Judding got fried the last year of the old WCHA, Hastings has been in ever since and seeing as how they only played UND once I'm unsure of what he did to qualify as an asshole.

bemidji>mankato - Sorry But Minnesota State has proven to be the better hockey program of the two since the split and even the last of the old league they were able to compete in Final five.

Despite all this as someone who went to both Schools(UND for BA and MNSU for MS) I hope Minnesota State stays in the WCHA, that way the only time I would likely have to Cheer against MNSU would be in the post season. But let me break down the higherarchy of college hockey in minnesota now, order in the top three may be debateable but the bottom two won't.

1. Saint Cloud State University

2. Minnesota State University

3. University of Minnesota-Duluth

4. Bemidji State University

5. University of Minnesota

40 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

Duluth is better than Mankato, it's not debatable.  I like sh*tting on the goophers as much as the next guy, but they're almost always going to pull in better recruits than the other 4 and will not remain in their current slump.  They also finished higher in the pairwise than MNSU and BSU this year, made it just as far as Mankato last year, and lost in the national championship game the year before.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Duluth is better than Mankato, it's not debatable.  I like sh*tting on the goophers as much as the next guy, but they're almost always going to pull in better recruits than the other 4 and will not remain in their current slump.  They also finished higher in the pairwise than MNSU and BSU this year, made it just as far as Mankato last year, and lost in the national championship game the year before.

My ranking for the last couple of years goes:

1.SCSU

2.UMD

3.UofM

4.Minnesota State

5.Bemidji

3 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

They can pull out all the recruits they like but they cannot get any of these kids to play as a team. I watched them against Bemidji and Minnesota State, no one wanted to go into the corner they were all expecting that someone would get them the puck so they could shoot. We also need to take into account the fact that not only are the goofer in a slump but so is Wisconson, Michigan State, and Ohio, its hard to recover when the majority of your competition is also in a slump,

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

They can pull out all the recruits they like but they cannot get any of these kids to play as a team. I watched them against Bemidji and Minnesota State, no one wanted to go into the corner they were all expecting that someone would get them the puck so they could shoot. We also need to take into account the fact that not only are the goofer in a slump but so is Wisconson, Michigan State, and Ohio, its hard to recover when the majority of your competition is also in a slump,

And yet they still finished higher in the pairwise than MNSU and BSU....

1 hour ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

bemidji the town is nicer - Bemidji has the lake but other than that Mankato is closer to the twin cities which is nice for alumni that live in the cities area. Addtionally Verizon wirless center is walking distance from a ton of bars, restaurants and hotels.You can sit down get pizza and a pitcher of Organ grinder beer at Pagliai's Pizza and be in the arena in less than 5 mins.

JJ's Dockside is literally contiguous with the Sanford Center. Was there over the 4th and looked like it would be a blast before a game. Other walkable places are Corner Bar, Keith's Old River Pizza Co., Green Mill, etc..  I haven't been to Mankato, so couldn't compare, but Bemidji is more than just the lake.

6 minutes ago, JTSchro said:

JJ's Dockside is literally contiguous with the Sanford Center. Was there over the 4th and looked like it would be a blast before a game. Other walkable places are Corner Bar, Keith's Old River Pizza Co., Green Mill, etc..  I haven't been to Mankato, so couldn't compare, but Bemidji is more than just the lake.

But which one has an Olive Garden?

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JTSchro said:

Not sure, maybe Marilyn Hagerty knows? Haha, I actually think she recently took her Eat Beat to Bemidji. Not sure what restaurant.

UPDATE: It was Ruttger's: http://www.grandforksherald.com/features/food/4068144-marilyn-hagerty-ruttgers-lake-bemidji-peaceful-spot-bite

Does that give Bemidji the edge in Restaurants? Or has the legendary Marilyn Hagerty reviewed a Mankato restaurant too?

15 minutes ago, JTSchro said:

UPDATE: It was Ruttger's: http://www.grandforksherald.com/features/food/4068144-marilyn-hagerty-ruttgers-lake-bemidji-peaceful-spot-bite

Does that give Bemidji the edge in Restaurants? Or has the legendary Marilyn Hagerty reviewed a Mankato restaurant too?

So far it appears Bemidji is in the lead... unless someone can produce a Mankato review

1 hour ago, JTSchro said:

Personally, I would say yes, they've added a Buffalo Wild Wings and have a Green Mill. Also, during the summer the country club had decent food. 

22 hours ago, SiouxFanatic said:

I may be in the minority but I'd be all for Mankato joining the NCHC.

I would too.   I'm not all that informed about the importance of conference affiliations, I just like seeing UND play teams in the area that are easy for road trips.  Some of us don't have the time for weekends away, so driving distance from the Cities is great for me.   And I think teams that are close help make for intense rivalries.

6 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

So far it appears Bemidji is in the lead... unless someone can produce a Mankato review

Mettlers is a fine establishment in the Mankato area.  I'm sure there's a few people on here that could provide a decent review. :)

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Mettlers is a fine establishment in the Mankato area.  I'm sure there's a few people on here that could provide a decent review. :)

And when Bemidji comes to town all the girls come out wear Bemidji jerseys... what they are naughty Beavers!