283 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the new Fighting Hawks logo

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'm no graphic artist, but I can tweak someone else's work. 

Here's what I could do using the wordmark as a starting point:

image.png

And if you've been paying attention, you've seen my avatar. 

Both could probably use some final cleanup (spacing, scaling, etc.) by a pro ... 

Would have preferred a little white space on the D in the logo to make it appear as a D easier at first glance. As it sits now it appears the D is different in the logo form but not the N.

2 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

O'Brien: "I love it".

Ausmus: "Ugliest...I have ever seen".

O'Brien: True UND athlete, great leader and true American patriot.

Ausmus:  Poor example of a UND athlete, feeding resistance to all, and a Canadian who should have stayed in his own country.

.........am I missing anything?

Yeah ... Gage is from East Grand Forks. ;)

3 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Would have preferred a little white space on the D in the logo to make it appear as a D easier at first glance.

I literally just took the "N" and "D" from the new wordmark, erased "orth" and "akota" and slid the D.
The tweaks and clean-ups you bring up, that's where the pro takes over. :)

Just now, Cratter said:

Only state in the lower 48 that you have to drive through Canada to get to a portion of. ;)

"I'm in Grand Forks, I need to get to EGF."

"Well, drive to Pembina, then cross over to Emerson, drive east to Buffalo Point, take a boat to Warroad, then take 11 to 75 and down to EGF." :D

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, tnt said:

You mean like the faculty at UND did with the old nickname?

Yeah... faculty are independent contractors who don't like to toe the University line, especially the ones with tenure, they're almost invincible. Now if you're asking me if I liked the way that that vocal minority of UND rabble talked down the old nickname and logo and the University, then I will submit to you an emphatic NO.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

O'Brien: "I love it".

Ausmus: "Ugliest...I have ever seen".

O'Brien: True representation of a UND athlete, great leader and true American patriot.

Ausmus:  Poor example of a UND athlete, feeding resistance to all, and a Canadian who should have stayed in his own country because EGF is close to Canada.

.........am I missing anything?

One example and just the latest.  Many players bitched openly for last few years about the loss of the name, name selection process, name selection itself, and now logo selection.  

But they are all in for UND Athletics and want nothing but the best for the entire athletic department.  Am I missing anything?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

One example and just the latest.  Many players bitched openly for last few years about the loss of the name, name selection process, name selection itself, and now logo selection.  

But they are all in for UND Athletics and want nothing but the best for the entire athletic department.  Am I missing anything?

The Sioux Forever part despite not a single player on last year's team having ever wore the logo?

I am a little confused that people can't seem to accept that it is painfully obvious that the hockey team has handled the entire process completely different than any other team on campus. Why is that fact so hard to admit for some?

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

The Sioux Forever part despite not a single player on last year's team having ever wore the logo?

Just a guess...........Ausmus living in EGF probably has a history and connection with the old logo.  O'Brien from Illinois probably got his first hint UND even existed when being recruited in 2012.

Apples to oranges.

• Upvote 3

Just now, jdub27 said:

As fate would have it I was in a pub full of folks watching a totally different game while watching the NC game. At one point, a rube leaned over to me when the jersey shoulder patch was visible on screen and asked me ... "Who's Notre Dame playing?" 

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

As fate would have it I was in a pub full of folks watching a totally different game while watching the NC game. At one point, a rube leaned over to me when the jersey shoulder patch was visible on screen and asked me ... "Who's Notre Dame playing?" 

That's a key reason why I am ok with letting the interlocking ND go to mothballs.  We had it first but Notre Dame trademarked it before we did and has made it their brand. 

• Downvote 1

36 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Stand by. Blasphemy to follow:

Some folks didn't like the Brien logo and wanted to stay geometric. < gasp! >

Some folks didn't like the geometric and wanted to stay Blackhawk. < gasp!> 

And on, and on, and on. 

Change is hard. 

You are oversimplifying in my opinion.  I don't recall the logo history that way.  Yes, people were very upset when the Blackhawk logo was dumped.  But it was replaced by NORTH DAKOTA sweaters, not the geometric logo jersey.  When the geometric logo jersey came out a couple years later, it was mildly accepted because it was better than the NORTH DAKOTA sweaters.  I know of not one single person that was upset when the Brien logo was introduced.  By all accounts, including the account that matters most (sales), it was a smashing success from the very beginning.  

8 minutes ago, mksioux said:

You are oversimplifying in my opinion.  I don't recall the logo history that way.  Yes, people were very upset when the Blackhawk logo was dumped.  But it was replaced by NORTH DAKOTA sweaters, not the geometric logo jersey.  When the geometric logo jersey came out a couple years later, it was mildly accepted because it was better than the NORTH DAKOTA sweaters.  I know of not one single person that was upset when the Brien logo was introduced.  By all accounts, including the account that matters most (sales), it was a smashing success from the very beginning.  

I was talking logo to logo transitions strictly. (No jerseys, etc.) 

And there are always some that don't like something. I know folks that didn't like the Brien logo (like the geometric).

Heck, Fetch doesn't like the interlocked ND. That'll get him run out of town by some. :D

13 minutes ago, mksioux said:

I have said before that I did not like the Brien logo when it first came out because it was not a true logo. Ben originally made it as a work of art and not as a sports team logo. When UND adopted it as a sports logo, I was less than thrilled for many reasons. It was too intricate with too many colors to easily identify and replicate as a true sports logo on caps, t-shirts and uniforms -- way too busy. Another less important factor, was the symbolism of looking backward. Some would argue that this was a nod to history but it also conveys a sense of entrenchment and backward thinking instead of moving forward. It seams that most of Ben's attempts at logos now have this left-pointing orientation. 

All that said, the logo grew on me over time as and I learned to love it and be proud of it because of the history and tradition attached to it and because it represented my alma mater. 

But not everyone was enamored with from the get go.