SiouxSports.com Forum

2016-2017 College Hockey (Non UND Hockey)

cberkas

On 11/27/2016 at 11:05 PM, DaveK said:

Two things about that...

First of all... Only a one win difference seems a bit too close for comfort, no? I mean after all, if the NCHC was in fact soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than the Big Ten (as numerous loudmouths have been stating ad nauseam for the better part of the past two years) certainly that edge would be a bit more decisive than merely one game.

More importantly, North Dakota is 0-2-2 vs. Big Ten opponents this year. Think long and hard about that before doing something as stupid as making a derogatory comment about a conference that your favorite team has failed four times in four attempts to get a win against.

I'll say it, the B1G still sucks. There... I don't care if you wave your finger at me or not. 

• Upvote 3

On 11/27/2016 at 10:05 PM, DaveK said:

Two things about that...

First of all... Only a one win difference seems a bit too close for comfort, no? I mean after all, if the NCHC was in fact soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than the Big Ten (as numerous loudmouths have been stating ad nauseam for the better part of the past two years) certainly that edge would be a bit more decisive than merely one game.

That's weird... if you give the NCHC one more win in their overall records (you know since it's a bit close for comfort) they then have the same winning percentage as the Big10.  I mean, after all, if the Big10 was in fact sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than the NCHC (as one idiot loudmouth has been stating ad nauseum since he thankfully decided to switch fanbases) certainly that edge would be a bit more decisive than merely one game.

• Upvote 4

On 11/27/2016 at 11:05 PM, DaveK said:

Two things about that...

More importantly, North Dakota is 0-2-2 vs. Big Ten opponents this year. Think long and hard about that before doing something as stupid as making a derogatory comment about a conference that your favorite team has failed four times in four attempts to get a win against.

Just breathe deep and relax, Dave, or you'll give yourself hemorrhoids, you are trying so hard.  So the B1G is a weak hockey conference--big deal.  They're bound to be good someday.   

Man I feel real bad for this guy,

I mean to be that unwanted everywhere he shows up has got to be depressing.

he's trying oh so hard, like that awkward kid in high school trying to eat lunch with the computer nerds by making fun of the band kids then trying to hang out in the band room by making fun of the nerds......all the while really just trying to get in with the athletes he had no business associating with.  

Poor guy, dude needs a hug.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, DaveK said:

Every derogatory comment that you make about the Big Ten only makes UND's hockey team look like a joke.

A defending national champion joke.  :)

1 hour ago, DaveK said:

Wow, Penn State all over Michigan tonight 6-1. The Nittany Lions are for real, so much for the theory that their success is merely the result of a weak schedule.

Not to dismiss PSU at all, but Michigan isn't exactly looking like a powerhouse thus far this season.
And before we give the title to the Nittany Lions, we have to remember that they've played 9 of their 14 games against Niagara, Alaska Anchorage, Canisius, Arizona State, and Mercyhurst.  That's a brutally easy SOS.

It'll be interesting to watch the rest of their season to see how it goes...and to see how far they can make it in the NCAA's.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Not to dismiss PSU at all, but Michigan isn't exactly looking like a powerhouse thus far this season.
And before we give the title to the Nittany Lions, we have to remember that they've played 9 of their 14 games against Niagara, Alaska Anchorage, Canisius, Arizona State, and Mercyhurst.  That's a brutally easy SOS.

It'll be interesting to watch the rest of their season to see how it goes...and to see how far they can make it in the NCAA's.

Don't forget they have been playing mostly at home.

5 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Penn St ... SOS is ranked 35th

Not a biased opinion, just a fact :D

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, DaveK said:

Actually, yes it does. The only problem here is the fact that I had previously made reference to Penn State's weak schedule before iluvdebbies stated their SOS rank. Before tonight there was reason to question whether or not Penn State was really as good as their record indicates based on their schedule. While they did get 3 out of 4 possible points vs. Notre Dame, the rest of their opponents were not very strong. Tonight they embarrassed a Michigan team that, like North Dakota, may be off to a slow start but is a perennial contender year-in and year-out. While I'm not ready to say the Nittany Lions are going to win a national championship this year, it would be foolish to not respect their quick rise to contention in only their 4th season as a D1 team (or 5th if you count the year they played as an independent prior to the formation of the Big Ten Hockey Conference). I expect to see them in the field of 16 this year and, based on how things have been going so far in the brief history of that program, probably more often than not in the years ahead. I expect to see them at least reach the Frozen Four, if not this season, at some point within the relatively near future. I see in Penn State right now a lot of the same things I saw in Quinnipiac 5 to 10 years ago. They have done a fantastic job of building that program, and there is no reason to believe they will not be able to maintain their current place among the top tier teams in college hockey. Try to remove yourself from the position of having an irrational hatred of all things Big Ten and look at Penn State objectively.

You may have answered this question after I raised it some time ago, Dave, but which big ten school did you graduate from?

1 hour ago, DaveK said:

I'm sorry to inform you I have never been one to go along with the masses when it comes to deciding what I like or dislike. I personally enjoy watching Big Ten Hockey way more than I ever enjoyed watching the WCHA and CCHA. That isn't to say it is necessarily a better conference or that it is more appealing to the masses, just simply my personal preference as an individual. I also prefer many obscure rock bands that draw 1000 or fewer people to small venues over the mass marketed and over saturated top 40 pop artists that sell out huge national tours. In other words I have a mind of my own, I don't just go along with the rest of the sheep.

Pretty amusing to hear someone say they choose to be a big ten fan rather than follow "the masses."   Think about that just a second, Dave.  The "masses" follow schools like DU, UND, and SCSU and not the little obscure programs like Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota?  

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, DaveK said:

Actually, yes it does. The only problem here is the fact that I had previously made reference to Penn State's weak schedule before iluvdebbies stated their SOS rank. Before tonight there was reason to question whether or not Penn State was really as good as their record indicates based on their schedule. While they did get 3 out of 4 possible points vs. Notre Dame, the rest of their opponents were not very strong. Tonight they embarrassed a Michigan team that, like North Dakota, may be off to a slow start but is a perennial contender year-in and year-out. While I'm not ready to say the Nittany Lions are going to win a national championship this year, it would be foolish to not respect their quick rise to contention in only their 4th season as a D1 team (or 5th if you count the year they played as an independent prior to the formation of the Big Ten Hockey Conference). I expect to see them in the field of 16 this year and, based on how things have been going so far in the brief history of that program, probably more often than not in the years ahead. I expect to see them at least reach the Frozen Four, if not this season, at some point within the relatively near future. I see in Penn State right now a lot of the same things I saw in Quinnipiac 5 to 10 years ago. They have done a fantastic job of building that program, and there is no reason to believe they will not be able to maintain their current place among the top tier teams in college hockey. Try to remove yourself from the position of having an irrational hatred of all things Big Ten and look at Penn State objectively.

Good post. I agree with your sentiments about Penn State. Well coached and the program clearly receives the support of the school and administration. 

• Upvote 1

So, how can something be uncharacteristic when in fact it is characteristic.

Now there are fans on both sides that are not happy with the B1G starting a hockey conference, because the B1G has killed rivalries. As much as you, DaveK, want to blame us UND fans who are not vocal against the B1G as much as fans in the WCHA or B1G have been. Then again remember the B1G caused the NCHC to be formed, the CCHA to fold, and the WCHA to be reorganized, but you will blame the NCHC for everything. You do realize the a lot of the bad mouthing of the B1G is coming form fans in the B1G. 

Shouldn't you be over in GPL or did they ban you? You said you were only a fan of UND because of the Sioux name, which means you were never really a fan.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, brianvf said:

To be honest...psu looks for real.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DaveK said:

I'm sorry to inform you I have never been one to go along with the masses when it comes to deciding what I like or dislike. I personally enjoy watching Big Ten Hockey way more than I ever enjoyed watching the WCHA and CCHA. That isn't to say it is necessarily a better conference or that it is more appealing to the masses, just simply my personal preference as an individual. I also prefer many obscure rock bands that draw 1000 or fewer people to small venues over the mass marketed and over saturated top 40 pop artists that sell out huge national tours. In other words I have a mind of my own, I don't just go along with the rest of the sheep.

I would have never guessed that...

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, burd said:

I'm a pointless, irrelevant guy--ask any poster on this board.  Just looking for an explanation why you have this Quixote-like obsession with proving to UND fans that  Big Ten hockey deserves respect.  Relax.  You don't need our approval to enjoy hockey. 

Or maybe you do.   If that's the case and you have a lick of sense, you will realize that the harder you try the farther behind you get.   We are gracious, kind, funny, good-looking people here, and we just want you to be happy. 

I think Burd is just fine. 

7 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Unlike you, DaveK, I happen to live in the heart of B1G hockey country.  I have yet to meet a Gopher hockey fan or Badger hockey fan who feels that the B1G is better than the old WCHA.  In fact, most fans are quite apathetic about it.  

The WCHA Final Five was THE signature event of the hockey year.  Now, the B1G has brought playoff hockey back to on-campus sites after disastrous reaults at the X and Joe Louis Arena.  Has that made college hockey better - or set it back 20 years?

Fiddle all you want...Rome has already burned.

I am going to agree with my buddy MafiaMan here. For the most part Gopher and Badger fans that I talk to and know despise the B1G Joke. Unless you hanging out with the Gopher Hockey Player Stalker and his ilk they hate the B1G...

7 hours ago, DaveK said:

If you want to listen to $#itty music that's your problem. ;) 

• Upvote 1