SiouxSports.com Forum

2016-2017 College Hockey (Non UND Hockey)

cberkas

On 4/22/2016 at 9:36 PM, cberkas said:

Peter Krieger transfers to Duluth from Alaska.

I don't know how many remember when I asked about the "defensive style" of the WCHA was a conference thing or a natonal thing. My complaint all year was the ridiculous amount of clutching and grabbi ng that was being allowed. Well, the rooster is coming home to roost, so to speak. Current players are leaving and unknown amounts of recruits are just not coming.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sports/hockey/4018907-fairbanks-transfer-krieger-seeks-fresh-start-umd#.VyDc35LuT9V.link

The WCHA better get their crap together or risk facing more of this.

2 minutes ago, bale31 said:

I don't know how many remember when I asked about the "defensive style" of the WCHA was a conference thing or a natonal thing. My complaint all year was the ridiculous amount of clutching and grabbi ng that was being allowed. Well, the rooster is coming home to roost, so to speak. Current players are leaving and unknown amounts of recruits are just not coming.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sports/hockey/4018907-fairbanks-transfer-krieger-seeks-fresh-start-umd#.VyDc35LuT9V.link

The WCHA better get their crap together or risk facing more of this.

I wonder is ASU is watching this trend.

“I wish I would have asked the hard questions and really looked at their style of play, because that’s what ultimately caused me to leave,” said Krieger, ...

Krieger described the style of play in the WCHA as hard-working, but not as skilled, with the exception of Michigan Tech, Minnesota State and Bowling Green. He said most teams in the WCHA are staying away from a skilled game to a “whatever-it-takes-to-win” style.

I believe the bolded portion can also be spelled as "interfere, hold, clutch and grab".

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I can solve the concourse width issue quite easily: When you're gabbing with (friends/relatives/business associates/that hot hook-up you're trying to get) how about you don't dead-stop in the middle of the concourse but instead step to the side. I see it in every arena in this region. It's like people don't think about the folks trying to move through the same space. 

So much this ^

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

I can solve the concourse width issue quite easily: When you're gabbing with (friends/relatives/business associates/that hot hook-up you're trying to get) how about you don't dead-stop in the middle of the concourse but instead step to the side. I see it in every arena in this region. It's like people don't think about the folks trying to move through the same space. 

If only solving rudeness was that easy.  Maybe they can work on people leaving their grocery cart in the absolute middle of the aisle next!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

totally agree with you but this isn't an REA or sports fan phenomenon.   try taking your cart through the grocery store or even push your way through the vestibule after church...it's just what people do.  ticks me off to no end, but it's common.

38 minutes ago, tnt said:

If only solving rudeness was that easy.  Maybe they can work on people leaving their grocery cart in the absolute middle of the aisle next!

37 minutes ago, dagies said:

totally agree with you but this isn't an REA or sports fan phenomenon.   try taking your cart through the grocery store or even push your way through the vestibule after church...it's just what people do.  ticks me off to no end, but it's common.

You guys need to find new grocery stores.

• Upvote 3

I think Arizona State would be great for the NCHC....  1) if you really want to support the goal of Hockey growth in the west add them.  They will recruit much better as an NCHC Team and likely be competitive within 3-5 years.  2) Yes, name recognition would help the NCHC (They are the best conference in the nation but don't really have any name schools) nationally.  3) Western Michigan and CC will have someone they can beat for a while.   4) It will be another great recruiting tool for the entire conference (who doesn't want to spend a weekend in AZ in January.  5) It forces expansion adding two to four teams ( personally prefer 2) to the NCHC. 

In my humble opinion, ASU joining the NCHC and being successful would improve the chance of the growth of NCAA hockey and speed that growth geometrically.  Have the vision!!

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, nodakgirl93 said:

Well that's stupid the university doesn't deserve it. Assuming the same will go for the Betty?

What's really sad is UND under Kelley could probably manage costs in that building as well as the REA Foundation has.

49 minutes ago, nodakgirl93 said:

Well that's stupid the university doesn't deserve it. Assuming the same will go for the Betty?

The only reason UND doesn't own it already is because the North Dakota Legislators wouldn't accept the gift until it was proven it could support itself rather than suck money. Ralph Engelstad believed that UND deserved it.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

An alternative solution.

• Upvote 1

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 10:47 AM, The Sicatoka said:

You do make a valid point, I'm guilty too.  I guess it's akin to stopping in the middle of the road (aisle) versus taking it to the shoulder (sides of aisle).

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 7:11 PM, 82SiouxGuy said:

The only reason UND doesn't own it already is because the North Dakota Legislators wouldn't accept the gift until it was proven it could support itself rather than suck money. Ralph Engelstad believed that UND deserved it.

What I heard at the beginning of the new Ralph Engelstad Building was, that UND maintained ownership of the land and a Corporation was to own the improvements on the land - manage the property - house the hockey team - along with additional agreements with UND, Ralph would build it, and in 30 years UND would own the improvements on the land, the Corporation would be dissolved.  Can't prove that, buy I'd think if you went to court house and looked up who owned land, it'd be UND/State of ND, agreements with the building and UND must be available somewhere? 

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 9:31 PM, Cratter said:

Yes of course your points are accurate. 

Its also accurate to say the entire REA was first class when it first opened, and nothing really beat it (even NHL regardless of the size...comparable yes). But its not anymore. Sure its still the best college rink bar none. But Ralph didn't want to compare it to other college rinks.

Laser light show...and the scoreboard (regardless of higher resolution needing to be replaced because of fire/smoke) are quickly becoming outdated. 

Concourses would be wider as capacity increases....thats obvious. It's the "coves" and the not the "exact same inch by inch is the same all the way around" 

Of course its "splitting hairs." Never claimed the Ralph wasn't "awesome," but when Ralph Engelstad built the arena he was also "splitting hairs." Just pointing out things that will leave the arena behind someday, and don't kid yourself, the arena will "one day" be "outdated" without not only "underground renovations" but also "above ground renovations."

How times change, In my junior year of college, UND opened the Winter Sports Center.  Heated with 6,000 seats and great lighting, one of college best arenas.  Exterior had plate steel, we used to say how we never seen siding on a building like this and that this building would out live us.  Well it was recently demolished.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

What I heard at the beginning of the new Ralph Engelstad Building was, that UND maintained ownership of the land and a Corporation was to own the improvements on the land - manage the property - house the hockey team - along with additional agreements with UND, Ralph would build it, and in 30 years UND would own the improvements on the land, the Corporation would be dissolved.  Can't prove that, buy I'd think if you went to court house and looked up who owned land, it'd be UND/State of ND, agreements with the building and UND must be available somewhere? 

You are correct. UND owns the land. A nonprofit corporation was set up to own and run the buildings until they are turned over to UND.