SiouxSports.com Forum

Former Players

geaux_sioux

9 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

I would've maybe sided with you instead of oxbow but after seeing Simon play these 3 games Trey and his dad have to be wondering wtf happened and might tell MHS and other local talent that und is a sinking ship.....BUT 2-1 and time will...it always does.

How do you know Trey and his dad are wondering that?  Trey got beat out of the starting job.  He chose to leave the program.  Not sure how that is the coaches fault.  I doubt Kevin is going to tell is players not to pursue UND.  That would be pretty petty.  Kevin wants what is best for his players and I am sure would love to see them succeed by playing college football.  Especially at the D1 level.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Not sure where you went from A to Z here but no. UND made the decision to go with Romfo.....good for them. Trey left cause he wasn't going to sit another year.....good for him. Here's where I'll break it down for you. Who's Trey's father? Where does he coach? Where did he play college football? Add in the human nature of how this went down from their family's end. Perception is sometimes people's reality.  Then toss in them watching 3 games with arguably one of the worst throwers of the football of a UND starting QB. MHS produces a lot of college FB players. Some are FCS/MVC caliber. HS kids go to their coaches for advice on recruiting.  You need me to keep going or can you connect the dots yet.  Bad take....maybe? Then again maybe not.

Should tell you how “good” Trey is.  

40 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

How do you know Trey and his dad are wondering that?  Trey got beat out of the starting job.  He chose to leave the program.  Not sure how that is the coaches fault.  I doubt Kevin is going to tell is players not to pursue UND.  That would be pretty petty.  Kevin wants what is best for his players and I am sure would love to see them succeed by playing college football.  Especially at the D1 level.

Kevin’s not going to tell a kid not to go to UND, but I think he’s probably done advocating for kids to come here 

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Moorhead currently has an OL performing at an all-conference level (after transferring from KF's alma mater), a sophomore starting at DE and a CB on the two deep. Playing favorites based on where someone went to high school is a great way to cause issues. Everyone got the wide open QB competition that was asked for and the OC made the choice, with no preconceived notions of any of the players, that he felt was going to lead to the most success for the team. There were plenty of rumblings that it was going to shake out the way it did. Pretty solid message to the team and future recruits that it doesn't matter where you come from or what your scholarship status is, if you earn it, you'll get that shot.

Wish TF nothing but the best. He and his family made what they thought was the best decision for his family.
I have a hard time buying that a high school coach is going to do something detrimental to the future of his players but maybe I have more faith in their integrity than others.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

19 hours ago, 90siouxfan said:

Slippery slope to advance players based on their 2nd level attributes, best man to win the game seems like a good approach, how Bubba & company function is a head scratcher

44 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Should tell you how “good” Trey is.  

As a runner....yes. QB1 was named due to being able to make more plays as a runner. To his credit I'm sure Romfo was the better playmaker during camp with his feet and he has shown that ability in games. Now we have read by many here that the coaches love Romfo's arm and accuracy. Hasn't shown up in 3 games so far <insert the Allen Iverson "practce" gif> but hopefully those skills will be there at some point cause Bubba will ride him out this season regardless. I'm excited to hopefully have this UND team 4-1 heading into Fargo.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, GoodGood said:

Kevin’s not going to tell a kid not to go to UND, but I think he’s probably done advocating for kids to come here 

Kids from Moorhead that play and have success at UND will advocate for UND

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

As a runner....yes. QB1 was named due to being able to make more plays as a runner. 

Part of the No. 1 QB evaluation was a statistical breakdown of fall camp with Romfo and competing quarterbacks Trey Feeney and Jerry Kaminski. A graduate assistant was responsible for watching practice video and charting every pass attempt, completions, interceptions, explosive passes and explosive runs.

In team settings, Romfo had a 70 percent completion rate, Fruechte said.

"My emphasis to him was if you do that consistently, we're going to be really, really tough," Fruechte said. "I don't care what type of concepts we're running, we're going to be tough if you're at a 70 percent clip. (Romfo) had the fewest throws but tied for the most explosiveness and turned it over the least."

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Time will tell what Romfo becomes, but hearing from Belquist, they are just happy he is a game manager.   At some point if this program wants to compete consistently for championships, they need to find impact players at the QB position, not just managers of the game that won't turn the ball over.  

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, tnt said:

Time will tell what Romfo becomes, but hearing from Belquist, they are just happy he is a game manager.   At some point if this program wants to compete consistently for championships, they need to find impact players at the QB position, not just managers of the game that won't turn the ball over.  

Romfo had a completion on Saturday that was further than any throws Schuster made in 4 years.  It was 45 yards but from far hash to the sideline, around 53 yards in the air.  Maybe some hope for a few more long balls and more than a game manager??

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Romfo had a completion on Saturday that was further than any throws Schuster made in 4 years.  It was 45 yards but from far hash to the sideline, around 53 yards in the air.  Maybe some hope for a few more long balls and more than a game manager??

Bo was open by 15 yatds. Got spun around by the placement of the pass. Should have been an easy TD but your point is still noted.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

I'm hoping, but when he was described as a game manager it made me wonder if that was the extent of what they wanted from him.  Obviously we are all hopeful of him developing into something more of an impact player as he becomes more comfortable. 

59 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

assuming u mean bo's walk in td route he ran......tommy's trick play throw at nau (last year or the year before) was decently long and got there .1 sec in time and right in the wr's chest

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Bo was open by 15 yatds. Got spun around by the placement of the pass. Should have been an easy TD but your point is still noted.

41 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

assuming u mean bo's walk in td route he ran......tommy's trick play throw at nau (last year or the year before) was decently long and got there .1 sec in time and right in the wr's chest

1st drive of 3rd quarter, not a TD.  Not sure it was a blown coverage or if Idaho St. didn't think he could throw it that far.  As a DB it's not unreasonable to over play inside if never seeing a throw over 50 yards coming out of UND the past 4 years.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

1st drive of 3rd quarter, not a TD.  Not sure it was a blown coverage or if Idaho St. didn't think he could throw it that far.  As a DB it's not unreasonable to over play inside if never seeing a throw over 50 yards coming out of UND the past 4 years.

i meant that drive/throw....worded it that if the throw was on the spot he would 've just walked in untouched (and bo knew it)

• Upvote 1

Brady O on track for another 1,000 yard rushing season. Leading rusher has 2 games played on him. He also has 44 receptions for 365 yards. Winnipeg has bounced back from a slow start and is now 7-6. 

image.thumb.png.7858cdcc2cd3fc83fbb704c8112015c0.png

Evan Holm sits at 10th in tackles: 

image.thumb.png.d19c082d57ff797bdfccf9b960fa5a74.png

Side note, a lot of names FCS fans will recognize for QB leaders. Bo Levi Mithcell (Eastern Washington, though UND didn't face him), Jake Maier (UC Davis), Bethel Thompson (Sac State), Vernon Adams (Eastern Washington), and further down Streveler. 

image.thumb.png.85122b4f46413af15d2af5787d7ba4f6.png