SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Big Sky Tourney

SWSiouxMN

MEN'S BASKETBALL: Ready for Reno

But all 12 Big Sky teams are in Reno and four games are set today in the Reno Events Center, which is configured to seat approximately 3,000 fans.

-----

UND will have to generate its own atmosphere since fan turnout likely won’t be high, although the Monday games for the Big Sky women’s tournament at the Reno Events Center did produce a decent atmosphere.

The Big Sky is reporting attendance of 1,274 for the women's games yesterday.

From what I can tell, the Reno Events Center has a capacity of 5,000 for basketball.  The Bighorns draw about 2,200 per game.  Don't know if the 3,000 seat configuration is used all the time for the Bighorns, or if they did that just for the Big Sky tourney when ticket sales weren't as robust as they'd hoped.  Will be interesting to see what kind of crowds Weber and Montana get.

23 hours ago, petey23 said:

I think UND should easily win their first game,

They should comfortably win their second game.

Anything less is unacceptable.

Weber will be a tough game but we are playing with house money at that point. I will be disappointed if we lose but if we at least show up for a big game but lose, I will look forward with excitement to next season.

Agree with your first game assessment but to comfortably win the second game I do question.  They are the higher seed for a reason so I would assume we are the underdog in this game.  Do I believe we will win, yes, but not necessarily comfortably. 

UND needs to shrug off this last road trip. Move forward and focus on the goal. We have shown flashes this season that we can compete with anybody, but we have also shown that we do not play consistent enough to deserve a top 4 spot. Need to really focus on being that competitive team that we saw in the first game against MT and against Weber. The talent is there; hopefully the discipline and the coaching is too.

19 minutes ago, sioux2013 said:

Agree with your first game assessment but to comfortably win the second game I do question.  They are the higher seed for a reason so I would assume we are the underdog in this game.  Do I believe we will win, yes, but not necessarily comfortably. 

We beat Idaho State by 8 on the road and the final score was much closer than the game was. We beat them easily in Grand Forks by 16 and in coast mode for most of the game. They finished 1 game ahead of us in the standings while having the benefit of 4 games against S. Utah and NAU vs. our 2 road games with those teams and no home games against them. Yes, I think we should win that game and do so comfortably.

They were commenting on the Summit Tourney Championship this afternoon that this year in the Summit and NSIC conference championships in men's and women's basketball being held in Sioux Falls that 6 of the 8 teams   are from South Dakota.    It is fair to say that the home court  advantage helps.     The league champ in the Big Sky used to get to host the tournament.    Now it is in Reno a neutral site.    What is the best situation.     I am sure South Dakota fans love it in Sioux Falls.

9 minutes ago, Dagger said:

They were commenting on the Summit Tourney Championship this afternoon that this year in the Summit and NSIC conference championships in men's and women's basketball being held in Sioux Falls that 6 of the 8 teams   are from South Dakota.    It is fair to say that the home court  advantage helps.     The league champ in the Big Sky used to get to host the tournament.    Now it is in Reno a neutral site.    What is the best situation.     I am sure South Dakota fans love it in Sioux Falls.

Makes it more fair to have it a neutral site but I think some fans missed the importance of winning the regular season title. Now with all teams in it, a team with zero wins in the conference can catch fire, win the tournament, and play in March Madness. I think they should cut the tournament to 8 teams to avoid this.

Just now, darell1976 said:

Makes it more fair to have it a neutral site but I think some fans missed the importance of winning the regular season title. Now with all teams in it, a team with zero wins in the conference can catch fire, win the tournament, and play in March Madness. I think they should cut the tournament to 8 teams to avoid this.

What if your a team that suffered injuries throughout the course of the season and get healthy at the end of the year?  Sac. St. and/or Portland St. could be examples of this.  

Just now, homer said:

What if your a team that suffered injuries throughout the course of the season and get healthy at the end of the year?  Sac. St. and/or Portland St. could be examples of this.  

True, but allowing all the teams to be in it, doesn't make the regular season important. At least with a cut-off point it draws more excitement, more intense games.

1 hour ago, Dagger said:

8,000 for the womens championship in Sioux Falls. Leads all of D1.

With the match ups set two games in round two, I could see Portland St giving Weber a game.  They are playing very good ball right now.  

After UNDs game today, Telfair of ISU has to be licking his chops.  Our guard defense today was terrible.  

8 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Also led the nation in the quarterfinal sessions with over 9,800.

Big Ten drew 6,600 in theirs. 

Lots of blue and red at all sessions.  Sioux Falls is a great location for their conference tournament if your a SD or ND school.  

Looking at the last few years it's hard to argue against the proximity to home and success.  

1 minute ago, homer said:

Lots of blue and red at all sessions.  Sioux Falls is a great location for their conference tournament if your a SD or ND school.  

Looking at the last few years it's hard to argue against the proximity to home and success.  

Off topic, but I could see the Summit League becoming quite the contender going forward. 

The Bison have raised all boats in the MVFC, and now we are seeing that with the Dakota's in the Summit league (as the Bison already have a first round NCAA win in its short history).

19 minutes ago, homer said:

Not surprising with two South Dakota teams playing. 

Put the tourney back in North Little Rock and I bet they don't come close to that. Sioux Falls is an easy drive for 4 of the teams (NDSU, USD, SDSU, Omaha) makes for a good crowd with just those four.