SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Big Sky Tourney

SWSiouxMN

1 minute ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

AJones' track record speaks for itself. UND is one of the only schools in the midwest that would put up with this kind of mediocrity (10+ years of no conference championships) and it is quite sickening. Yes, he won the lowly Great West tournament a couple times, only to then lose in the first round of the CIT both times (Air Force and Drake). His other two CIT appearances also included loses to UNI and transitioning Nebraska-Omaha (ouch!).

There's so many excuses (young team, needs more time, has finished in top 3 of BSC before, improvement from 2014-15 to 2015-16) but they are just that, excuses. His overall record is poor and UND needs to upgrade, desperately. At this point, Faison comes off as just not caring one bit, and for this alumn and booster, that rubs me the wrong way.

All talk no action ...write  out a check to UND Hoops for 500K contingent on a new coach being hired and maybe Faison wil bite....By the if anybody with any brains and authority agreed with you Faison would be gone.

• Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

All talk no action ...write  out a check to UND Hoops for 500K contingent on a new coach being hired and maybe Faison wil bite....By the if anybody with any brains and authority agreed with you Faison would be gone.

Not quite sure what you contribute to other than disagreements with the vast majority of people on this board. You're content with average basketball; that's your prerogative and I respect that. However, I also do not think there is anything wrong with setting the expectations a bit higher for UND basketball. It's difficult to accomplish great things with petty expectations. 

13 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Not quite sure what you contribute to other than disagreements with the vast majority of people on this board. You're content with average basketball; that's your prerogative and I respect that. However, I also do not think there is anything wrong with setting the expectations a bit higher for UND basketball. It's difficult to accomplish great things with petty expectations. 

Funny how none of the folks running the show at UND agree with 10-15 Team/Jones bashers on this board

• Downvote 2

27 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

Funny how none of the folks running the show at UND agree with 10-15 Team/Jones bashers on this board

This is incorrect. There are plenty within the UND athletic department who realize what eventually needs to happen for UND MBB to take the next step. It's inevitable; just a matter of time and money. 

In other-words, I second what @UND-1 posted. 

• Upvote 1

Not that the Athletic Department listens to me when they have great college basketball minds like Darell to turn too for advice, but I will repeat what I said at beginning of year.....I don't care if we are picked 9th, this is Jones's program and he needs to own it. If we don't finish in the top 4 during the regular season and/or the conference tournament it is time to go. .....I don't like that we finished 5th and had a chance for 4th and didn't get it done at Montana State but we were in the mix.

Bottom line is if we are not at least playing in the semi-finals next weekend it is time for a coaching change. Assuming we don't sh!t the bed against S. Utah, we get Idaho State who we handled fairly easily at home and at their gym. No excuses not to get to the Weber State semi final matchup and let it hang loose.

1 hour ago, hoops44 said:

Where would UND hockey be if Hakstol for 10 years didn't appear in the frozen four? If he had a .500 or below record every year including tying for last place?  Couldn't beat any ranked team in hockey, can only produce 31 road wins in 8 years which is just under 4 road wins a year on average. Would Faison let him coach that long? The hockey fanbase would be at an uproar...but it's okay to let men's basketball suffer with being subpar. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

This is incorrect. There are plenty within the UND athletic department who realize what eventually needs to happen for UND MBB to take the next step. It's inevitable; just a matter of time and money. 

In other-words, I second what @UND-1 posted. 

You must be a comic ya think UND is waiting for coach K to apply for the job...or do you think if Jones was 0-18 in the BSC the last 3 seasons your fictional insiders would be waiting for big money to materialize to pay the going rate for a BSC head coach...

• Downvote 7

Just now, hoops44 said:

You must be a comic ya think UND is waiting for coach K to apply for the job...or do you think if Jones was 0-18 in the BSC the last 3 seasons your fictional insiders would be waiting for big money to materialize to pay the going rate for a BSC head coach...

Do u think Brian jones is actually a good coach?A lot of people on here including me don't think so.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

Why do you always bring up Coach K? The name most commonly thrown around is the coach of MSUM. UND spent a little money and got Bubba and in 2 years got us at 7-4. Quite the turnaround with a good coach.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Why do you always bring up Coach K? The name most commonly thrown around is the coach of MSUM. UND spent a little money and got Bubba and in 2 years got us at 7-4. Quite the turnaround with a good coach.

Ya, I also noticed that he mentions coach K a lot.

Edited by F'n Hawks
  • Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Because there is no in between.  It's Jones or Coach K when it comes to CBB coaches.

Let's get a little lower than Coach K, how about Bill Self. I know K is too expensive Self is a little more affordable.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Dagger said:

If you think Jones is going to get fired it is not going to happen.  With the large  group of very talented and young players on the team right now there will be no coaching change.  I am not saying it might not be better to have a new coach but it just isn't going to happen.  Might as well stop  talking about it.

Then they would have nothing to talk about - team finishing 4-5 places higher than projected, great crop of talent on the court, only 2 seniors, wide open field in Reno...nah let's talk about why Jones should be fired. (Not a Jones apologist I just think we have lots better and more positive things to talk about.)

38 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Then they would have nothing to talk about - team finishing 4-5 places higher than projected, great crop of talent on the court, only 2 seniors, wide open field in Reno...nah let's talk about why Jones should be fired. (Not a Jones apologist I just think we have lots better and more positive things to talk about.)

They were picked 8th and finished 5th.  That isn't a reason to extend a coach who has been there 10 years.  

If there is another reason , maybe.  But not that.

• Upvote 2