SiouxSports.com Forum

PairWise Rankings

jimdahl

On 2/22/2017 at 4:45 PM, The Sicatoka said:

When I look at Jim's projection/what's it take board, teams that need to better than their "to date" winning percentage are in trouble. 

UND needs to go 0.750 and is 0.533 overall.

That's a problem. 

http://collegehockeyranked.com/forecast/pwrbywins/

But we have a .750 winning percentage against the two teams remaining on our schedule. IF we keep that up the final two weekends, AND St Cloud gets swept by Denver in Denver, then we'll be home for the first round against St Cloud. We are .750 against St Cloud. Win that series to make the Frozen Faceoff, and we should be good. We'll still be on the bubble, but hopefully playing tough competition at the Frozen Faceoff won't drop us out of the NCAAs. Optimism 101 :)

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, GoalieMask said:

Good events unfolding today...now to finish the deal with a win tonight.

In the words of Bubbs, "Let's solidify our standing so we can make it to the Noshinal Tournament."

"Not so fast my friend"..............at 15.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, BeazSioux said:

It's actually 16 but whose counting.  And really?  Does it freakin matter with this team?  Mediocre is what they are.  

Yeah them making the tourney and losing the first game doesn't really matter to me at this point.  It's over.   This team can't score goals and can't win when it counts...:(

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Fighting Sioux 23 said:

Interesting stat, since Denver repeated as National Champions in 2004-2005, here is how the defending champion has performed the following season:

2005-2006: Denver - Missed NCAA Tournament

2006-2007: Wisconsin - Missed NCAA Tournament

2007-2008: Michigan State - Lost in Regional Final

2008-2009: Boston College - Missed NCAA Tournament

2009-2010: Boston University - Missed NCAA Tournament

2010-2011: Boston College - Lost First Round

2011-2012: Minnesota Duluth - Lost in Regional Final

2012-2013: Boston College - Lost First Round

2013-2014: Yale - Missed NCAA Tournament

2014-2015: Union - Missed NCAA Tournament

2015-2016: Providence - Lost in First Round

So, 6 out of the 11 defending national champions failed to make the NCAA Tournament.  Of the 5 that did, 3 lost in the First Round, and no one made the Frozen Four.

I know we were all hopeful for a strong season culminating in Chicago, but recent history suggests that it is very difficult for defending champions to even make the NCAA Tournament, let alone making the Frozen Four.  I'm still holding out hope that this team can sweep Miami, win a First Round series against St. Cloud and see what happens at the Frozen Faceoff; however, I'm not going to hold my breath.  At least, if the Sioux fail spectacularly in the next two weekends, we can all re-watch last year's NCAA Tournament and relive what was truly an amazing season.

I think it's human nature to rest on your laurels after a season as incredible as our last. In that way, it does seem like some of the freshmen who weren't on that team are playing more desperate than the sophomores, jrs and seniors. Also, the teams that win those titles generally lose strong senior classes and/or NHL caliber players early to the pros. You won't hear the team using these excuses but they are  still true.

Lastly, I think(have heard) that there are a ton of players playing through injuries this year. Again, won't hear this out of the locker room but it could explain the underperforming.

5 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

For those way smarter than I am where will UND sit Pairwise if they split in Miami and win 2 of 3 in first round playoff series? 

A split at Miami would probably keep UND roughly around where they are currently (i.e. the wrong side of the bubble).  It would also likely lead to a road first round playoff series against St. Cloud, and winning 2 of 3 on the road (remember that winning on the road is weighted more heavily (and losing on the road has less of an effect) than winning at home), and my guess is North Dakota would be just on the right side of the bubble (i.e. around 13-14).  It would still likely take winning at least 1 of 2 at the Frozen Faceoff, and not very many "upset" winners in the other conferences for North Dakota to get in the NCAA Tournament.

3 hours ago, Fighting Sioux 23 said:

Interesting stat, since Denver repeated as National Champions in 2004-2005, here is how the defending champion has performed the following season:

2005-2006: Denver - Missed NCAA Tournament

2006-2007: Wisconsin - Missed NCAA Tournament

2007-2008: Michigan State - Lost in Regional Final

2008-2009: Boston College - Missed NCAA Tournament

2009-2010: Boston University - Missed NCAA Tournament

2010-2011: Boston College - Lost First Round

2011-2012: Minnesota Duluth - Lost in Regional Final

2012-2013: Boston College - Lost First Round

2013-2014: Yale - Missed NCAA Tournament

2014-2015: Union - Missed NCAA Tournament

2015-2016: Providence - Lost in First Round

So, 6 out of the 11 defending national champions failed to make the NCAA Tournament.  Of the 5 that did, 3 lost in the First Round, and no one made the Frozen Four.

I know we were all hopeful for a strong season culminating in Chicago, but recent history suggests that it is very difficult for defending champions to even make the NCAA Tournament, let alone making the Frozen Four.  I'm still holding out hope that this team can sweep Miami, win a First Round series against St. Cloud and see what happens at the Frozen Faceoff; however, I'm not going to hold my breath.  At least, if the Sioux fail spectacularly in the next two weekends, we can all re-watch last year's NCAA Tournament and relive what was truly an amazing season.

One of the common denominators that is present in all these teams, it was strong upperclassman  leadership that got them the championship.  UND had the same case. 

• Upvote 2