SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Vs FCS Football

Cratter

35 minutes ago, petey23 said:

I wasn't going for that comparison but I am pretty sure they know those guys and they will know more about Wentz when he is in the NFL.

Maybe during his draft year and for a couple weeks while he's battling for a starting job and then never again when he's a career back up :)

6 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Hahahahahahahaha. Oh, wait. You're serious? Oh. Well, that's cute.

Are you talking about just for you? If so, alright. But it'd be a much bigger deal to GF for the hockey team to win one, IMO.

I love the football team, but no. Just, no.

That's probably true, but if UND wanted to solely focus on increasing interest in GF they'd probably just be better off paying some people to drive in circles for hours at a time.  That's what really brings them out.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

If my options were

A) National Title in Hockey

B) National Title in FCS Football

C) Cinderella run in March Madness

I'm taking C all day and twice on Sunday.

There is no bigger exposure bomb then going on a run in the dance. Just winning a game brought NDSU a ton of exposure, can't even imagine how crazy a sweet 16 run would be. 

Hoops is where it is at and that is what amazes me with your AD, he has just left your program be a tire fire even though you play in a conference that is ripe for the taking. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, jdub27 said:

So less than half 2 of the 3 years, proving that timeslot, channel and what is on other channels makes a significant difference. I'm still not sure how comparing events in different time slots, 5 months apart, makes any sort of a point? The numbers are what they are, but you're trying way to hard to prove a point that no one is arguing. The NCAA hockey tournament sells out every year in advance and is full regardless of who plays. Can the same be said about the FCS championship game? Both are second tier sports (by a huge margin). Thank you for providing information showing that neither FCS or D-1 hockey are even on the fringe of where FBS football and NCAA basketball are.

Can't argue with your final point.  And yes, the FCS title game is sold out for the 5 year in a row and has been so for months.  Now who would have bought all those tickets? :)  (Feel free to flame; ripe for the pickings as it makes your point)

1 hour ago, FargoBison said:

There is no bigger exposure bomb then going on a run in the dance. Just winning a game brought NDSU a ton of exposure, can't even imagine how crazy a sweet 16 run would be. 

Hoops is where it is at and that is what amazes me with your AD, he has just left your program be a tire fire even though you play in a conference that is ripe for the taking. 

Agree with your first point.

As to your second point, you can only have some many irons in the fire if you want to fix or accomplish things correctly. Not going to get into the firing the coaches part of the equation (there are other places for that) but a lot has been accomplished over the past handful of years (transition, nickname, Big Sky, IPF, NCHC, new football coach, etc, etc) and during that time, UND made it to the conference semis and conference finals their first two years of being eligible before seeing a significant drop-off the third year (last year). I am confident the proper attention is being paid to the situation at this time. My opinion is that right or wrong, the results were good enough to not warrant immediate attention over some of the other issues but that is no longer the case. You could probably look at NDSU's women's basketball program, which has fallen much further than UND's MBB team, especially considering where they once were, and ask how or why did the AD let things fall as far as they did.

1 hour ago, FargoBison said:

I think a lot of the blame for WBB at NDSU falls on Lynn Dorn's shoulders. She just seemed to put way too much stock into thinking Dehoff could do it and spent too long hoping her hire would work out. A lot of AD's make that mistake and it is a costly one. 

Dorn also axed the former volleyball coach because he was male, and put in one of her favorite females, causing that program to hit the skids too.  The sexual politics of bisonville is something to behold.

• Upvote 2

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2015 at 3:01 PM, The Phoenix said:

The NDSU/UNI game on ESPN had over 1.6 million viewers.

The NDSU/Richmond game drew 751K viewers. Any more arguments on how channel, timeslot and competition actually have more of an effect than what the event itself is, making comparing completely different events pointless?  Just for reference, the D3 national championship game drew 510K viewers with a similar time frame (started 1 hour earlier) but broadcasted on ESPNU.

On 12/16/2015 at 3:01 PM, The Phoenix said:

I think hockey will always be king at UND, but to suggest it is somehow more popular than NDSU football is hard to justify.  The NDSU/UNI game on ESPN had over 1.6 million viewers.  Here are the numbers from the 13 televised NCAA hockey tourney games last year:

BU-Prov 635k ESPN
BU-UND 290K ESPN2
Denver-BC .1 241K ESPN2
Prov-Omaha 196k ESPN2
UMD-BU .1 158k ESPN2
SCSU-UND .1 148k ESPNU
Quinn-UND .1 122k ESPNU
RIT-OMAH .1 115k ESPNU
MN-UMD .1 113k ESPNU
Prov-Denver .1 84k ESPNU
Yale-BU .0 63k ESPNU
Prov-Miami .0 62k ESPNU
RIT-Mankato .0 57k ESPNU

With all this said, if UND wants to be noticed on a national stage, they need to invest in basketball and football.  I do not think that needs to be mutually exclusive from supporting hockey, but some sports may need to be shuttered.

12 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

The NDSU/Richmond game drew 751K viewers. Any more arguments on how channel, timeslot and competition actually have more of an effect than what the event itself is, making comparing completely different events pointless?  Just for reference, the D3 national championship game drew 510K viewers with a similar time frame (started 1 hour earlier) but broadcasted on ESPNU.

Not to belabor the discussion, but the original point of looking at viewers was to show a comparison between the two sports. When you consider having 751K viewers in what you have said is the inferior timeslot, on the inferior channel, is still higher than every NCAA hockey game quoted above, your post actually speaks more to the contrary argument than yours. 

On 12/17/2015 at 2:09 PM, FargoBison said:

I am not sure - are the other Big Sky basketball schools offering FCOA?

2 hours ago, Shawn-O said:

635K for an NCAA championship on the flagship ESPN station is a pretty abysmal number... 

Maybe so,  but in regard to time slot and competition,  it is important to note that there were 15 nhl games played the night of the ncaa hockey championship game. Source: http://espn.go.com/nhl/schedule?date=20150411

How many NFL games were played at the same time as these fcs games?

Apples and oranges. ..

2 hours ago, Bison06 said:

Not to belabor the discussion, but the original point of looking at viewers was to show a comparison between the two sports. When you consider having 751K viewers in what you have said is the inferior timeslot, on the inferior channel, is still higher than every NCAA hockey game quoted above, your post actually speaks more to the contrary argument than yours. 

My original point is trying to prove something by comparing numbers that came from different nights, channels, timeslots and against competition is pointless, especially when they are 5 months apart. The reason I brought up the 751K is to show that just by switching these variables less than a week apart, the Richmond/NDSU game had 55% less viewers in a semi-final game than the previous week in a quarterfinal game.

The real question is have FCS football fans wanting to watch on TV ever had to miss half of the opening quarter of a football playoff or title game because of a college lacrosse game?  Because this seems to happen every year when I want to watch college hockey on ESPN in April..............

10 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

The real question is have FCS football fans wanting to watch on TV ever had to miss half of the opening quarter of a football playoff or title game because of a college lacrosse game?  Because this seems to happen every year when I want to watch college hockey on ESPN in April..............

Yes, but when it happens it is usually a regular season basketball game instead of lacrosse.

FCS football and NCAA hockey are nearly identical in their fanbases, mostly made up of alumni of the power schools and the regions immediately surrounding them.

What gives FCS football the advantage in my opinion is that it just happens to be the most popular sport in the United States. Given the option between the two, the casual observer would likely choose FCS simply because it is Football, the more popular sport.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

38 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

FCS football and NCAA hockey are nearly identical in their fanbases, mostly made up of alumni of the power schools and the regions immediately surrounding them.

What gives FCS football the advantage in my opinion is that it just happens to be the most popular sport in the United States. Given the option between the two, the casual observer would likely choose FCS simply because it is Football, the more popular sport.

Revenue is much greater for hockey.  Up to 18 home games per season vs six.  How is UND able to have a bigger budget after a bison run of four titles?  Most outside observers would see that as unfathomable, and that's not counting the REA budget which is separate. 

8 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Revenue is much greater for hockey.  Up to 18 home games per season vs six.  How is UND able to have a bigger budget after a bison run of four titles?  Most outside observers would see that as unfathomable, and that's not counting the REA budget which is separate. 

I have no doubt all of that is true. It doesn't, however, play a role in which sport is more popular, which is the discussion.

2 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I have no doubt all of that is true. It doesn't, however, play a role in which sport is more popular, which is the discussion.

On 10/21/2015 at 10:15 PM, Cratter said:

UND hockey team vs NDSU football team who wins?

It's a 100 yard ice field with soccer goals played with a football and hockey sticks.

Actually, above is the opening post for this discussion.  I've gotta give hockey players the edge since it's being played on ice....