SiouxSports.com Forum

Saturday Goalie ?

Fetch

Just kidding, not too bad considering he is a walk on with no real game experience at this level. Fortunately, he has a strong defense in front of him, and some pretty potent scoring. I think he knows he role ... to bridge the gap until the top two are back. Great opportunity for the guy.

If he gets a chance to work with Karl a bit more he will develop and give us some wins.  His awareness was a bit slow, almost lost a wraparound attempt, and was too far back in the net on more than one occasion.  That said, he seemed a good step up from using a third D-man.  :-)

It's going to be a blessing in the future that we had to play a walk on so early in he season. Our offense needs to play with the urgency that they need goals to make up for any inexperience in goal that may affect the team. If the team can gain confidence playing with their backup just think how they can play with tomek. We are just darn lucky to have the injuries so early in the season instead of so late. The offense this year needs to light it up all year long . It's nice being a hockey school where we can recruit great practice squad and potential backup goalies from our own student body . Can't wait for march/ April!

Congratulations to Matt Hrynkiw.  He has now tied the same number of hockey games another UND Sioux played in his entire time at UND.  He has one game.  But great things can come of this.  That other player went on to play 7 years in the NHL and has his name on the 1991-1992 Stanley Cup.

Congratulations to Matt Hrynkiw.  He has now tied the same number of hockey games another UND Sioux played in his entire time at UND.  He has one game.  But great things can come of this.  That other player went on to play 7 years in the NHL and has his name on the 1991-1992 Stanley Cup.

I remember the "guy" well.  Jay Caufield played in the game following the penalty debacle that took place in Maine the week before.  All four Sioux RW's were disqualified, if I remember correctly, so Jay got his big chance.  I knew Jay from working at the UND summer hockey school.  He was great with the young kids.

• Upvote 1

I feel better with him in there than Cam

Not me. Every shot they took made me nervous.  Unless they play like they did 1st period against Bemidji last Friday, or he is over the jitters, I would be happy with a split this weekend.  

I'm not handing Matt a trophy, but once he settled down, he stopped everything he had to.  What was it, 2 goals in first 4 shots? Then 17 straight stops.  I'm not going to complain about an outing like that!

Plus, Drake apparently loves him - from the Forum:

“No one deserves it more than he does,” Caggiula said of Hrynkiw’s first career win. “He’s here every day early, stays late and works hard every day. When you talk about the North Dakota culture, he’s the first guy you think of on our team. He’s doing all the extra things. We wanted to win it for him.”

Hoping with a week knowing he will be the guy he can take the next step.  Cam had bigger issues his first few games, but frankly, neither inspires confidence right now, but I suppose that is to be expected after McIntyre.  Was hoping Tomek would be ready, but Tim Hennessey said he has heard anywhere from the Wisconsin series until after Christmas.  Puskarich and Shaw could make it tough on any goalie without experience on the road.  

Edited by tnt

Not me. Every shot they took made me nervous.  Unless they play like they did 1st period against Bemidji last Friday, or he is over the jitters, I would be happy with a split this weekend.  

that's fair. Cam has better numbers at the moment, but I don't know how much of that can be put on Hrynkiw coming in cold on Friday and getting his first start Saturday