SiouxSports.com Forum

Weber State: Gut Check Week

SWSiouxMN

Its time to turn the page, no matter how hard it is

Will Cole and Clive be back this week?  Will Keaton be good to go?

Weber went into Wa-Griz and won, they will be a confident bunch.  Need to get this one before the schedule ramps up. 

They are ripe for a let down. It can happen to anyone.

Weber will be a very confident bunch next week and our egos are likely a little bruised.  That was their first win in Missoula in 28 years. 

Article from their victory at Montana.  

http://www.weberstatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=39328&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=210411815&SPID=3468&DB_OEM_ID=8600

• Weber rushed for 253 yards on 61 attempts.  Only had 13 pass attempts
  • Weber scored on a pick six
  • Montana is down to their third string QB after a foot injury to the season starting 2nd string QB

Weber will be a very confident bunch next week and our egos are likely a little bruised.  That was their first win in Missoula in 28 years. 

http://www.weberstatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=39328&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=210411815&SPID=3468&DB_OEM_ID=8600

• Montana is down to their third string QB after a foot injury to the season starting 2nd string QB

This helps us a lot if they only throw 13 times on our pass defense, what we don't need is another Idaho State repeat.

Weber went into Wa-Griz and won, they will be a confident bunch.  Need to get this one before the schedule ramps up. 

Early report -

Cole and Clive - good chance, yes

Studsy - No, Let the Bartles vs. Molberg analysis begin for the week!!

Early report -

Depends what offense we are going to run and if Joe is 100%.  Bartles can't be asked to be an option running the ball.  Its not his game. 

Early report -

oh boy, maybe I'll stay out of that. I guess not a lot of other people thought Bartels played well Saturday besides me. Thought he threw the ball very well and delivered on time. 

One criticism of our passing game I'll have is that with either qb, when they were scrambling, there wasn't a ton of movement downfield.  Hard for any qb not to just run around like a chicken with his or her (female chickens are equally capable) head cut off when there's no where to pass it.

The injury bug has hit UND.  Can't expect to win with a "bunch of walk-ons" on each side of the ball according to some.  Is it time to pack it in?

Pack it in, no.  

What do you propose the coaches do?  They were missing 4 starters on defense, three of which are extremely important to the success of the team.  They coached these kids up as best they can but if they go out on Saturday and screw up the coverage or get zero pressure, what are the coaches suppose to do?  Right now they have ONE scholarship safety (who by all accounts is somewhat lost still) and 3 walk-ons. 

On top of that they lost Studsrud, who was becoming the focal point of the entire offense. 

• Upvote 1

2 things I really like about this. By using a heavy rush, Weber should go head to head against our tough run D. I think that favors us. Also nice to see that MT is susceptible to a heavy run game.

This last weekend was a big step backwards, not just in losing, but in how we lost by epic collapse. I still think this is a team that is capable of making the playoffs, given the outlook of the conference this year. MT and MT St. are not the power teams we ususally see. E Washington is very tough, but even they have only be Sac State by 8.

UND needs to win this weekend, and move back in the right direction. Our team is definitely capable of winning any game left on there schedule. Doesn't mean they will, but if they play the way we have seen them play at times, and start limiting these turnovers, there is still hope.

• Upvote 3

Also, who starts this weekend? Mollberg or Bartels? I've always like Mollberg better, but don't know if he is healthy yet. I do think that both are better passers than Studsrud, and hopefully between that, and whenever Clive gets back, we can become more two dimensional. (That is not a knock on Studsrud, he is young and still needs to develop his passing game)

• Upvote 1

2 things I really like about this. By using a heavy rush, Weber should go head to head against our tough run D. I think that favors us. Also nice to see that MT is susceptible to a heavy run game.

This last weekend was a big step backwards, not just in losing, but in how we lost by epic collapse. I still think this is a team that is capable of making the playoffs, given the outlook of the conference this year. MT and MT St. are not the power teams we ususally see. E Washington is very tough, but even they have only be Sac State by 8.

UND needs to win this weekend, and move back in the right direction. Our team is definitely capable of winning any game left on there schedule. Doesn't mean they will, but if they play the way we have seen them play at times, and start limiting these turnovers, there is still hope.

The team could win every game left on the schedule and if we continue to turn the ball over could lose every game on the schedule.  It should make every remaining game interesting.  The team needs to get confidence back. 

• Upvote 3

The team could win every game left on the schedule and if we continue to turn the ball over could lose every game on the schedule.  It should make every remaining game interesting.  The team needs to get confidence back. 

true, not saying we will win every game, but we definitely are good enough too. Like you said, turnovers will lose them all. This team is truly its own worst enemy right now.

If they watched ANY tape of our game on Saturday, look for this number to go up exponentially.....

If their personnel is capable of being effective.  

I compare it to our team.  If we were coming up against an opponent that just got torched through the air, its still unlikely we would throw it 60 times as we don't have the personnel to do that and win a game.    

• Upvote 3

Weber definitely has the capability to pass. Saw them burn NDSU defenders a few times. If last weeks game was a must win, this game is now critical. We need to win this game, then take either MT or Cal Poly on the road.

N. Colorado is the most winnable game left on the schedule, and MT State at home, is winnable, but our pass D will need to take some big strides.

Ultimately, we can probably afford to drop one more game, but I really don't think it can be this weekend. MT isn't a great team right now, but it still a tough place to play. Would prefer to leave one more loss until Cal Poly, purely because that is a tough team to play with their triple option. If anyone is going to run on us this year, it will be cal-poly.

Key questions:

Clive would be a huge help to stretch the field. Though even if he is back, how effective will he be right away? I saw him walk by, when they were doing the Cieslak segment on the webcast (the part that actually worked), it looked like he still had a brace or cast on his hand. Hopefully this week, but based on comments made in the past, I have to imagine he'll be back by the MT game. Pure speculation.

As for Keaton? he has shown most struggle in the passing game, with a few really nice passing plays sprinkled in. If his ankle doesn't allow him to be close to 100% and capable of making plays with his feet, then I don't want him out there. One, we need someone can at least make passes if they can't run (I lean mollberg, but thats just me). Two, I don't want to see Keaton aggravate anything then be out longer. Is he a top FCS QB, NO. Is he a capable QB? For sure. Needs to improve his pass game, but definitely a nice run threat.

Reyes is huge, especially after our terrible safety play last weekend. He was questionable for Idaho State, so I would hope he is back next week. Then again, I don't want to see an further aggravation their either. Especially if we are playing a team that will try to run the ball, rather than pass heavy.

If their personnel is capable of being effective.  

I compare it to our team.  If we were coming up against an opponent that just got torched through the air, its still unlikely we would throw it 60 times as we don't have the personnel to do that and win a game.    

Took a quick peek at the Weber stats for the year, didn't have time to look at each game.  But...  Pretty mediocre passing #'s. Avg. of 158.7 yds per game... Starting QB only completes 47% off his passes. I don't know a whole lot about Weber, but like you said, I doubt they can sit back & sling it all game long.

WSU QB.GIF

WSU.GIF

A loss here would mean curtains for playoff hopes. We aren't "supposed" to make them this year anyway but I think it could make the rebuilding project accelerate faster in terms of brining in recruits and rebuilding the reputation of the program if we exceed expectations. We need to get back to being a program with a killer instinct. That means instead of being down after a loss our team is angry and takes it out on the next opponent. Losing programs snowball with bad momentum, good programs recover the next week, great programs are a force to be reckoned with the week after a loss. We need to start being a force after a loss or even a sub par performance. So yea, we need to kick arse this weekend.