SiouxSports.com Forum

No more "Track it down, Marge!" for UND Football

choyt3

My opinion:  It will be nice having a UND guy do UND football games.  Not a guy who spends 5 days a week talking about NDSU on the radio in Fargo and then travels up to UND games on the weekend.  That setup sucked.  Like Jack but the setup was bad.

Well said.

I've never heard Sweeney do radio, so will be interested see how he does.  He is a UND guy through and through, and his knowledge of UND athletics is probably unparalleled, but this is probably a step down as far as radio play-by-play talent goes. 

I didn't care for the set up with Jack Michaels either, but he is arguably the most talented radio play-by-play guy in the state. 

I believe Michaels has been filling in for Scott Miller on Redhawks broadcasts all summer because he is battling skin cancer.  I wonder if Miller's absence is going to extend into the football season and that is the reason for Michaels' "increased duties with his primary employer".  Hope Miller makes a full recovery soon.

• Upvote 2

What's funny is you guys are blasting Jack because he talks NDSU during the week....what do you expect his station owner is the flagship radio station for ndsu in the city ndsu is located.

Why doesn't a local GF station jump on the rights if it's such an important deal to have a UND guy calling it?

To me I'd be more mad a local station apparently has zero interest in getting the rights, obviously I'll get blasted for this so whatever. I post and visit here very little..

• Downvote 1

What's funny is you guys are blasting Jack because he talks NDSU during the week....what do you expect his station owner is the flagship radio station for ndsu in the city ndsu is located.

Why doesn't a local GF station jump on the rights if it's such an important deal to have a UND guy calling it?

To me I'd be more mad a local station apparently has zero interest in getting the rights, obviously I'll get blasted for this so whatever. I post and visit here very little..

Thanks for sharing and being completely wrong. Too bad you aren't around more.

Nobody blasted Jack at all. I blasted the setup of having a Fargo/NDSU guy doing UND games. And I am right. Jack is great at his job but should be doing NDSU coverage being he is in Fargo and on The Fan.

Also, 970am has the rights and Jack works for 740. Figure it out.

You can go ahead and point out where in this thread anyone ripped on Jack Michaels. Lots of disdain for the "setup", but very little (none?) "blasting" of Jack Michaels specifically. You get zero trolling points.

The broadcast rights are owned by Clear Channel Grand Forks. WDAY-AM in Fargo is an affiliate station to the UND Athletics broadcasting network. 

So, a local to GF station, group, has the rights; and, a station in NDSU's backyard (NDSU's former rights holder) broadcasts UND as a radio affiliate now. 

Clear Channel Grand Forks really had no one to do UND Football play-by-play so they looked outside. Jack Michaels had the gig as he's outside the primary Grand Forks market. He just gave it up. Pat Sweeney is now available to fill that role as he's no longer working for/at WDAZ, a competitor to CCGF. (Yes, in media realms WDAZ being part of Forum Comm is a competitor to CCGF.) 

No offense to either one of these guys as they are total class guys but horrible as TV or radio play by play announcers.

I actually enjoyed Pat doing the play by play as he knew everything about UND sports so he had worthy tidbits thrown into the game that made it more worth watching. Dan Hammer is horrible, and I wish some day Pat will be on the tv again.

I actually enjoyed Pat doing the play by play as he knew everything about UND sports so he had worthy tidbits thrown into the game that made it more worth watching. Dan Hammer is horrible, and I wish some day Pat will be on the tv again.

I agree Darrell.  Pat does a nice job with play by play and is very knowledgeable from having 30+ years of experience.  

I also like Dan doing the TV.  

As someone who ends up listening to 2/3 games a year in a grain truck, I like Jack Michaels a lot. I thought he was very technically good; I always knew what was going on, and I couldn't tell during the games that he actually used to play baseball at NDSU. I don't think most people would have known that just by listening to our football games.

I really, really like that Sweeney is going to do it now. He's an experienced and well respected play by play guy. I think football is probably easier to do than hockey, so even though he's going from radio to TV, I can't imagine it'll be the worst transition. He's also a UND guy, with the inside stories that are pretty cool. 

I don't hate Dan Hammer, especially after watching national broadcasts and away broadcasts last year.  I thought Midco's production (camera's and all, not just announcers) were market-ably better than CBSSN's.