SiouxSports.com Forum

How Long Will It Take To Move On

geaux_sioux

Over/Under Time to Move On  

65 members have voted

1. 1. How Long Will it Take the Hockey Only Crowd to Move on to The New Nickname?

• Under Five Years
    • Five Years Exactly
    • Over Five Years
    • Over Ten Years
    • You Can Pry My Fighting Sioux Jersey From My Cold Dead Petty Hand

So there are two sides of the "no nickname" choice. Those that don't want some terrible, generic nickname and those that probably believe the old nickname will or can come back. Either way, what is the harm of having no nickname? Do you honestly think the NCAA will come down on us for not having a nickname? Come on, the damage was already done, they won. They're not coming back. They have bigger things to worry about than some north Dakotans showing up to their sporting events with a Sioux logo on.

They should focus more about not choking in the national tournament than two words and a picture.

I tell ya, some of you self righteous mother #@&$@#s say us no nickname people don't support UND, only a moniker, but than one of you write this!! You should be proud!!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I tell ya, some of you self righteous mother #@&$@#s say us no nickname people don't support UND, only a moniker, but than one of you write this!! You should be proud!!

I'm not proud of consistently inventing ways to lose when we consistently have one of if not the best teams.
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

So there are two sides of the "no nickname" choice. Those that don't want some terrible, generic nickname and those that probably believe the old nickname will or can come back. Either way, what is the harm of having no nickname? Do you honestly think the NCAA will come down on us for not having a nickname? Come on, the damage was already done, they won. They're not coming back. They have bigger things to worry about than some north Dakotans showing up to their sporting events with a Sioux logo on.

Imagine this scenario. UND does not pick a new name and remains North Dakota. NCAA can't punish them, sure if you want to believe that. Let's say UND puts a bid in to host the NCAA Regionals in hockey at Scheels arena in Fargo. Hmm, I wonder who decides the sites to host? You think that sticking it to the NCAA is a good idea? Well they could stick it to UND and never let UND host a regional ever again. Scare tactics you say? Well why give them a chance to do something like that!! Don't bite the hands that feeds you!

Imagine this scenario. UND does not pick a new name and remains North Dakota. NCAA can't punish them, sure if you want to believe that. Let's say UND puts a bid in to host the NCAA Regionals in hockey at Scheels arena in Fargo. Hmm, I wonder who decides the sites to host? You think that sticking it to the NCAA is a good idea? Well they could stick it to UND and never let UND host a regional ever again. Scare tactics you say? Well why give them a chance to do something like that!! Don't bite the hands that feeds you!

Sing along.....rooooollll out the tactics, roll out the scare tactics of fun! BS! No I can't prove it won't happen, and you positively cannot prove it can happen! That is a scare tactic. Smells like politics, can't convince them to want what you want, scare them into wanting what you want!

• Upvote 3

They should focus more about not choking in the national tournament than two words and a picture.

Just a pathetic comment I'd like to see you say that to some of those players faces that do so much for the university and help put it on a national stage every season.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Or, are you saying that those efforts delayed the likely inevitable (a new nickname) for so long, that it resulted in five underwhelming options for a new nickname?

I'm saying when the legal angles were exhausted, rather than stomping and saying "no nickname!" it should've been, "we people invested in this athletic department demand a new nickname and we pick it now." 

Instead, it is as you say, an underwhelming process. 

The "no nickname" crowd was suckered by Kelley. The longer he could draw this out he knew he could get his outcome by attrition. 

• Upvote 1

They'd come down for continuing to foster an environment where the old nickname is a viable option. Subtle, yes, but real.

That's equivalent to wearing a tin foil hat. Just like the idiot that stated the referees for the game against Boston were a message. Pure hogwash.

• Upvote 1

First of all, calm down. Second I don't agree with anything you just wrote. Believe me we're not that high on the totem pole

That's equivalent to wearing a tin foil hat. Just like the idiot that stated the referees for the game against Boston were a message. Pure hogwash.

Please remember that UND was precluded from picking a name by state law until just seven months ago. The NCAA would be foolish to hammer UND during that period. As soon as it ended, the process to a nickname restarted.

Given that, you have as much proof they wouldn't crash down on UND in the future as I do that they would.

PS - If folks didn't like my signature comment about Marco Hunt, they really won't like this quote of Aquinas.

How long will it take to move on ?

A very, very, very long time.

I believed from the beginning of this process that the North Dakota option never stood a chance of being on the ballot. No chance that Kelley would allow it. None. Even though he said early on it was an option he had no intention of allowing it. He just didn't have the guts to say it and wanted the committee to take the heat. If by some chance the committee had put it through he would have vetoed it at some point. No use taking the heat if there is a chance you can pass the buck. Great leader. There was never any chance that we would go without a nickname no matter what the public wanted.

Kelley never wanted to keep the Fighting Sioux nickname but did not have the courage to say it. Pass the buck, find someone else to take the heat (tribes, conference commissioners). No courage or leadership on this issue.

With that option off the table now, will Kelley commit to going with the nickname that gets the most votes ?

Absolutely no reason now for him not to unless he already has a nickname that he wants to use.

Please remember that UND was precluded from picking a name by state law until just seven months ago. The NCAA would be foolish to hammer UND during that period. As soon as it ended, the process to a nickname restarted.

Given that, you have as much proof they wouldn't crash down on UND in the future as I do that they would.

PS - If folks didn't like my signature comment about Marco Hunt, they really won't like this quote of Aquinas.

My phone doesn't allow he to see signatures, had no idea you were the tin foil hat wearing individual from April. It just stuck out in my mind for the sheer ridiculousness of it.

How long will it take to move on ?

A very, very, very long time.

I believed from the beginning of this process that the North Dakota option never stood a chance of being on the ballot. No chance that Kelley would allow it. None. Even though he said early on it was an option he had no intention of allowing it. He just didn't have the guts to say it and wanted the committee to take the heat. If by some chance the committee had put it through he would have vetoed it at some point. No use taking the heat if there is a chance you can pass the buck. Great leader. There was never any chance that we would go without a nickname no matter what the public wanted.

Kelley never wanted to keep the Fighting Sioux nickname but did not have the courage to say it. Pass the buck, find someone else to take the heat (tribes, conference commissioners). No courage or leadership on this issue.

With that option off the table now, will Kelley commit to going with the nickname that gets the most votes ?

Absolutely no reason now for him not to unless he already has a nickname that he wants to use.

This I can agree with. I believe that if we had a true leader during the period of the settlement the name would still be here. If UND had worked with Standing Rock, and more importantly the council, an agreement would have been reached. But, as we all know, they didn't do anything. They sat on their thumbs because the leadership of UND wanted the name gone. Now again, we're seeing that same leadership again, essentially sit on their thumbs.

For what it's worth, when it comes to the criteria set forth for the committee, I actually believe no nickname meets it. It's identifiable with North Dakota, and it's unique to UND. I do share the concerns of some that commentators will just make something up, but with the options that remain, I'd prefer them calling us big green, or something else over Sundogs, North Stars, Fighting Hawks. NoDaks was already being used, even though it's dumb, and Roughriders I fear is going to eventually become a problem in our PC world also.

Yes, this all on Kelley, who became president after the settlement agreement was signed and multiple decades after the issue arose.

Yes, this all on Kelley, who became president after the settlement agreement was signed and multiple decades after the issue arose.

Don't forget that the settlement agreement was signed not by any UND official but by the duly elected and sworn Attorney General of the State of ND.

Don't forget that the settlement agreement was signed not by any UND official but the duly elected and sworn Attorney General of the State of ND.

Although all of that is correct, if leadership at the University would have had the desire to keep the name, they wouldn't have just been sitting there waiting for Standing Rock to do something. They would have been actively engaging them on how, or what needed to be done to keep the name.

First of all, calm down. Second I don't agree with anything you just wrote. Believe me we're not that high on the totem pole

But we are still under their juriistiction.  They are the governing body that our Stletic teams compete under.  And we must folllow their rules.  Whether you are USC, UND or Alcorn St.  They all under the unbrealla of the NCAA and must adhere to their rules.  YOu say we are not that high on their totem pole, but we were high enough to have them care about our nickname.  And we deffinitely got their attention when UND had a lawsuit against them.  TO think that the NCAA doen't really care about what UND does is just naive.  You want to test the waters and see is they care or not?  That's fine.  But I doubt UND wants to go down that road.

Although all of that is correct, if leadership at the University would have had the desire to keep the name, they wouldn't have just been sitting there waiting for Standing Rock to do something. They would have been actively engaging them on how, or what needed to be done to keep the name.

The State (elected officials from Bismarck) made those overtures. As has been said here, SR tribal council wasn't interested and you can't negotiate with an empty chair.