SiouxSports.com Forum

How Long Will It Take To Move On

geaux_sioux

Over/Under Time to Move On  

65 members have voted

1. 1. How Long Will it Take the Hockey Only Crowd to Move on to The New Nickname?

• Under Five Years
    • Five Years Exactly
    • Over Five Years
    • Over Ten Years
    • You Can Pry My Fighting Sioux Jersey From My Cold Dead Petty Hand

So what I said wasn't true?

I wouldn't say they've choked in every NCAA tournament loss for the last 10 or so years like you implied. Some of the years they even outperformed expectations going into the tournament but I guess that is your opinion. 

I guess I must have forgot the time that the University administration ever actually made any attempt to save the name during Kelly's tenure.

The old name was gone when Kelley got here. There was nothing to save. 

Don't link, show. :)

CKr-9hOUwAE_z7m.jpg

Hogwash on his argument against no nickname. They'll spend time re-hashing this issue for awhile either way. People won't be used to the new nickname, so they'll have to explain themselves. After awhile it will be no big deal, either way. And how does this really affect the student-athletes? In what way have the student-athletes been burdened?

Hogwash on his argument against no nickname. They'll spend time re-hashing this issue for awhile either way. People won't be used to the new nickname, so they'll have to explain themselves. After awhile it will be no big deal, either way. And how does this really affect the student-athletes? In what way have the student-athletes been burdened?

Yes, the guy who's job is to literally deal with this every day is making all of it up to pass time on a Friday. 

Yes, the guy who's job is to literally deal with this every day is making all of it up to pass time on a Friday. 

So, we should have never started this farce of a process and just let Hajdu pick the name--since he's "most affected" by it. I say he puts on his big boy pants and deals with whatever circumstances come his way. The student-athletes most affected by having no nickname (the hockey players; the only ones really in the national spotlight) seem to want no nickname, so obviously it hasn't been too big of a burden on them.

• Upvote 1

So, we should have never started this farce of a process and just let Hajdu pick the name--since he's "most affected" by it. I say he puts on his big boy pants and deals with whatever circumstances come his way. The student-athletes most affected by having no nickname (the hockey players; the only ones really in the national spotlight) seem to want no nickname, so obviously it hasn't been too big of a burden on them.

I'd say he is putting his big boy pants on and sharing his experiences.  He is also putting this out there for everyone to see and read and putting his name to it. 

• Upvote 1

Although all of that is correct, if leadership at the University would have had the desire to keep the name, they wouldn't have just been sitting there waiting for Standing Rock to do something. They would have been actively engaging them on how, or what needed to be done to keep the name.

Like, oh around the time, in 1989(?), when Kendall Baker attempted to drop the moniker on his own volition over the summer, when he thought nobody would notice?

Yea lets have a small group of 17-24 year old hockey players pick the direction to take this thing. I'm sure they have the big picture in mind.
  • Upvote 1

Hockey is not a major NCAA sport; it does not garner the type of spotlight you may be perceiving. The FCS playoffs/NCAA football receive just as much support as does NCAA hockey, if not more. Perhaps if all UND fans were true fans; that is, they recognized UND has more than one sport (in fact, they have a tradition of excellence in several sports), then UND would have multiple sport student-athletes in the national spotlight. 

And no, Hajdu should not pick the name, but the people of the University and athletics department - who actually understand what it takes to field competitive teams and be in compliance with the NCAA - should have weighted decision-making capability. When actual university athletics employees say the "no nickname" status isn't working, it may not be foolish to actually listen. 

Like, oh around the time, in 1989(?), when Kendall Baker attempted to drop the moniker on his own volition over the summer, when he thought nobody would notice?

Scott, many folks here have no idea who Kendall Baker is/was. 

I think the passion is stronger here than at Marquette and they are over 20 years since they dropped Warriors and most of their Alum and even students still consider them the Warriors. of course they went with a generic "add color" "add bird" nickname which I am sure is a mistake that we won't ......err, nevermind

Yes UND fans have passion for the Sioux name and logo, that is good. The NCAA has a rule that everyone must follow or pay the consequences so sometimes you just have to let go and move on. The name has been retired because the tribal council on the Standing Rock didn't give approval (not Kelley, but the Standing Rock) so I suggest all those who do not want a new name drive down to the Standing Rock and bring it up to them face to face and not behind a keyboard. Let me know how that goes.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Hockey is not a major NCAA sport; it does not garner the type of spotlight you may be perceiving. The FCS playoffs/NCAA football receive just as much support as does NCAA hockey, if not more. Perhaps if all UND fans were true fans; that is, they recognized UND has more than one sport (in fact, they have a tradition of excellence in several sports), then UND would have multiple sport student-athletes in the national spotlight. 

And no, Hajdu should not pick the name, but the people of the University and athletics department - who actually understand what it takes to field competitive teams and be in compliance with the NCAA - should have weighted decision-making capability. When actual university athletics employees say the "no nickname" status isn't working, it may not be foolish to actually listen. 

It is our major NCAA sport and always will be.  Also, NCAA popularity is increasing year over year along with the increase in hockey popularity (thanks to USA Hockey).  College hockey TV viewing is also increasing rapidly.  Lastly, NCAA hockey is easily just as popular as FCS football is to the main stream sports fan.  Their championship games are broadcast on espn....that's about it. 

• Upvote 1

I disagree. That would be like me saying that I think people that grew up in North Dakota should have weighted decision-making. They are the ones that are truly passionate about the University of North Dakota. I'm guessing many that work for UND and aren't from North Dakota aren't nearly as passionate as somebody who grew up in the state. It's just a job, a stepping stone. As an example, President Kelley grew up in New Mexico. He's worked at Illinos-Chicago, Cal-Berkeley, the University of Wyoming, the University of New Mexico. Now, he works at UND. Do you think he's truly passionate about UND? When he retires, will he care about the University of North Dakota more than the University of New Mexico or the University of Wyoming?

How university athletics employees feel is conjecture on your part. We don't know how they all feel. We know Hajdu supports having a nickname. We know Karl supports letting no nickname go to a vote. A lot of these university employees are more P.C. than the average North Dakotan would like them to be. I don't feel comfortable leaving the decision up to just them.

Don't link, show. :)

CKr-9hOUwAE_z7m.jpg

Save the hyperbole.  Didn't the student representative on the nickname task force committee argue that the student-athletes just want to stay "North Dakota".  You do remember the student-athlete's, don't you, Jason?

Going forward, maybe Jason can focus more on his job as UNDSID and ensure that Barry Melrose finally understands how to pronounce "Caggiula" next April.

• Upvote 1

Yes UND fans have passion for the Sioux name and logo, that is good. The NCAA has a rule that everyone must follow or pay the consequences so sometimes you just have to let go and move on. The name has been retired because the tribal council on the Standing Rock didn't give approval (not Kelley, but the Standing Rock) so I suggest all those who do not want a new name drive down to the Standing Rock and bring it up to them face to face and not behind a keyboard. Let me know how that goes.

In defense of Standing Rock, this was an issue between the NCAA and the University of North Dakota.  Although I really wish the tribal council allowed a vote, I hate to see Standing Rock labeled as the scapegoat in a dispute that did not even involve them in the first place.

Save the hyperbole.  Didn't the student representative on the nickname task force committee argue that the student-athletes just want to stay "North Dakota".  You do remember the student-athlete's, don't you, Jason?

Going forward, maybe Jason can focus more on his job as UNDSID and ensure that Barry Melrose finally understands how to pronounce "Caggiula" next April.

Both student-athletes voted to remove "no nickname".  Of the student representatives, it was 1 for and 1 against.  Total student representative vote: 3-1 to remove "no nickname".

I disagree. That would be like me saying that I think people that grew up in North Dakota should have weighted decision-making. They are the ones that are truly passionate about the University of North Dakota. I'm guessing many that work for UND and aren't from North Dakota aren't nearly as passionate as somebody who grew up in the state. It's just a job, a stepping stone. As an example, President Kelley grew up in New Mexico. He's worked at Illinos-Chicago, Cal-Berkeley, the University of Wyoming, the University of New Mexico. Now, he works at UND. Do you think he's truly passionate about UND? When he retires, will he care about the University of North Dakota more than the University of New Mexico or the University of Wyoming?

How university athletics employees feel is conjecture on your part. We don't know how they all feel. We know Hajdu supports having a nickname. We know Karl supports letting no nickname go to a vote. A lot of these university employees are more P.C. than the average North Dakotan would like them to be. I don't feel comfortable leaving the decision up to just them.

However, its a matter of one or the other. If the vote is opened up to the public, do you honestly think everyone who votes is going to be passionate about UND or do what's in the best interest of the university? Of course not. In fact, many people who vote will have little to no background knowledge of this situation.

Truly passionate does not equal truly rational. The individuals with the experience in college athletics are far more qualified than the public of North Dakota. I am not saying the public should not have the opportunity to vote on a list of five nickname options, but they should not be allowed to decide whether or not "no nickname" remains viable as an option. They do not understand the adverse pressure that puts on UND's student-athletes and marketing staff. Also, the explanation of "why UND remains 'different' from every other DI school" remains redundantly present. 

Trust me, I understand that most employees in UND's administration and athletics department are not from North Dakota or even Minnesota and they view their job as a stepping stone; yet, they better comprehend college athletics and the NCAA than the general public, regardless of passion.