SiouxSports.com Forum

How Long Will It Take To Move On

geaux_sioux

Over/Under Time to Move On  

65 members have voted

1. 1. How Long Will it Take the Hockey Only Crowd to Move on to The New Nickname?

• Under Five Years
    • Five Years Exactly
    • Over Five Years
    • Over Ten Years
    • You Can Pry My Fighting Sioux Jersey From My Cold Dead Petty Hand

It wouldn't surprise me if such a statement were not made within the new couple of weeks.  Why would Berry risk his job over a nickname?  He'll embrace the new name and the players will as well.  Because it's for the good of unity within the UND family. 

Well that would be a surprise to me. The players sure aren't embracing the no nickname option being gone right now and I guess I really don't see that changing anytime soon.

Boy are the hockey fans going to be pissed when they see the new conference banner that goes up this fall......

I'm sure he will be branded a traitor or there will be claims that he was strong-armed just like what happened to Hak when he came out supporting people to vote to retire the Sioux nickname.

I would think almost all hockey fans know by now that the new banner won't be able to have the Fighting Sioux logo on it and will instead have the ND on it. Anybody who sees the banner and gets pissed about that issue really hasn't been paying attention.

Well that would be a surprise to me. The players sure aren't embracing the no nickname option being gone right now and I guess I really don't see that changing anytime soon.

They play for a program with the best facilities, arguably the best tradition, a top notch coaching staff, a large base of alumni making millions in the NHL. I don't think they will put up much of a fuss over a new nickname or logo.

They play for a program with the best facilities, arguably the best tradition, a top notch coaching staff, a large bade of alumni making millions in the NHL. I don't think they will put up much of a fuss over a new nicname or logo.

CKfM_aCVEAAPCNi.jpg

Drake Caggiula @drakecaggiula Jul 21

The University of North Dakota will forever be known as the Fighting Sioux...a name the resembles COURAGE...

Gage Ausmus @Gausmus47 Jul 21

Wow who is on this committee #joke #SiouxForever

Bryn Chyzyk @chyz21 Jul 21

CKe5YONUAAAl11o.jpg

Troy Stecher @troystecher Jul 21

I'm sure the athletic alum and current student on the committee voted UND #1 for a reason. Listen to the voices that matter. #SiouxForever

Just a few quick reactions from the current players on Twitter. I don't think you will see them speaking out too much about whatever the new nickname/logo is but I also don't envision the hockey program really embracing the new nickname/log anytime soon instead just using North Dakota and UND primarily. Ausmus is this seasons captain and Stecher, Caggiula, and Chyzk are all assistant captains.

I would think almost all hockey fans know by now that the new banner won't be able to have the Fighting Sioux logo on it and will instead have the ND on it. Anybody who sees the banner and gets pissed about that issue really hasn't been paying attention.

You'd think if they had been paying attention they would realize Fighting Sioux isn't coming back either but letters to the editor, tweets and Facebook comments sure indicate that one hasn't sunk in yet.

Guaranteed there will be people complaining when the new banner is unveiled.

• Upvote 1

They were engaged, but that is a different 'they', not the 'they' bemoaning the current circumstance. 

Today's twitter-azzi, where were they in 2000-2006, when a real difference could be made? 

That's too much of a generalized for me to answer.  But twitter wasn't around until summer 2006, so that might be part of the problem.

I never realized this but it appears the other programs are a tad salty at the success of the hockey program (and the coverage it receives).  Maybe that has something to do with it.  Sad though, because we should all be on the same team.

Just a few quick reactions from the current players on Twitter. I don't think you will see them speaking out too much about whatever the new nickname/logo is but I also don't envision the hockey program really embracing the new nickname/log anytime soon instead just using North Dakota and UND primarily.

So.......

That's too much of a generalized for me to answer.  But twitter wasn't around until summer 2006, so that might be part of the problem.

Too many did nothing. Too many did not enough. 

"We are where we are and we all should accept responsibility for where we are and quit blaming others. ... We who wanted the name didn't do enough to keep the name over the last 50 years." -- iramurphy

• Upvote 2

I'm just saying I don't think the team will really embrace it and the North Dakota script will remain on the front of the uniforms rather than putting a logo on the front. There may be a very small logo on the shoulder or something but I would bet the logo will not be a very prominent part of the uniform. It isn't like it is an uncommon thing to see a teams name on the front of the jersey rather than a logo in hockey anyway.

I have no problem with this.  The hockey-only crowd gets what they want and the rest of the University can move on.  Problem solved.  Close thread.  Turn off computers.

• Upvote 1

Way too soon?  :huh:

The statewide vote was June of 2012. We were under a legislated "cooling off period" until January 2015. 

Three years is not enough? 

This is my thought when I read these tweets.  Would 5 years make it any better? 

Way too soon?  :huh:

The statewide vote was June of 2012. We were under a legislated "cooling off period" until January 2015. 

Three years is not enough? 

No one who supports going without a nickname as a "cooling off period" has ever defined how long would be enough. Would 5 years be enough? 10 years? 25 years? For many, never isn't long enough.

No one who supports going without a nickname as a "cooling off period" has ever defined how long would be enough. Would 5 years be enough? 10 years? 25 years? For many, never isn't long enough.

One of the GF Herald letters said something along the lines of waiting until the people who grew up with the Sioux name are all gone (dead) first.  So with advances in medical technology, perhaps 110 years will be close enough.

But don't worry, he totally had the University of North Dakota's best interest in mind....

Fortunately, his diploma must read "University of Fighting Sioux", so he'll be fine.

This is the guy that set me off this morning. But apparently to some people on here, I am the bad guy and this gentleman is some sort of tragic hero. If I have to wear the black hat on this, so be it.

I hope he doesn't identify UND on his resume.  Alums like this guy reduce the value of everybody else's degree.

• Upvote 1

Interesting thread....

Agree. Initially I just went for iramurphy's post; I'm going back to page 1 on it and re-reading. 

The reason the stakeholders have lost control of their ability to select a new nickname is because they willingly gave up the opportunity to take control. They didn't take my advice: Control what is yours to control! And they should have demanded control because they were the ones who were losing the most to appease the NCAA.

Rather than insisting that Kelley move ahead with the transition to a new nickname (as some wisely advised), they sat in a corner and pouted, insisting that no nickname was just fine with them. And when the SBoHE should have challenged the legislature's authority to control UND's choice of a nickname, they punted.

The true believers among the "Fighting Sioux moniker or die!" faithful thought they won something when the legislature mandated a three-year no-nickname "cooling off" (i.e. pray for a miracle) period. Epic. Fail. 

The longer we keep punting on this the more likely it is that UND will end up with some pap and claptrap, inoffensive-to-all nickname. 

I love being right.

I hate being right. 

Agree. Initially I just went for iramurphy's post; I'm going back to page 1 on it and re-reading. 

I love being right.

I hate being right. 

Honest question: what do you mean by those "stakeholders . . . willingly gave up the opportunity to take control" and that the "stakeholders . .  should have demanded control"?  Practically speaking, what should they have done, in your opinion?  The state of North Dakota sued the NCAA.  UND was prohibited from adopting a new nickname for three years.  It is revisionist history to say that efforts to take control were not made.

Or, are you saying that those efforts delayed the likely inevitable (a new nickname) for so long, that it resulted in five underwhelming options for a new nickname?

• Upvote 1

I'm just saying I don't think the team will really embrace it and the North Dakota script will remain on the front of the uniforms rather than putting a logo on the front. There may be a very small logo on the shoulder or something but I would bet the logo will not be a very prominent part of the uniform. It isn't like it is an uncommon thing to see a teams name on the front of the jersey rather than a logo in hockey anyway.

Until a group of liberal professors sends out an email demanding that the hockey team have the new nickname put on their jerseys because not doing so simply perpetuates the Fighting Sioux nickname and the threat that the NCAA will demand that UND put the new nickname on their jerseys for the same reason (sarcasm). 

Not sure I'll get over this, reason being,we have these damn pc whiners telling us we have to get rid of OUR AWESOME nickname that most everyone has so much pride and honor in, then win there little argument then tell us to get over it. I for one dont really like to be told what to do when it comes to things like this.

If you dont like the name, you dont have to attend this school or watch the sports, simple as that!!!!

Seems like the more freedom of speech this country has the more freedom of speech we dont have because people have the right to be offended by anything and everything and its gotten so out of hand and so @#&!@$# sickening. Why dont these people tell life that its offending them and see how far they get!

Ok, i think im done for a while

P.S. GO FIGHTING SIOUX FOREVER!!!!!!!

SIOUX YEA YEA

The "no nickname" crowd is going to have a hard time convincing people its a different than the Sioux Forever crowd when the organizer of Friday's protest decides to give an interview on the news wearing a Fighting Sioux hockey jersey...

CKfM_aCVEAAPCNi.jpg

Drake Caggiula ‏@drakecaggiula Jul 21

The University of North Dakota will forever be known as the Fighting Sioux...a name the resembles COURAGE...

Gage Ausmus ‏@Gausmus47 Jul 21

Wow who is on this committee #joke #SiouxForever

Bryn Chyzyk ‏@chyz21 Jul 21

CKe5YONUAAAl11o.jpg

Troy Stecher ‏@troystecher Jul 21

I'm sure the athletic alum and current student on the committee voted UND #1 for a reason. Listen to the voices that matter. #SiouxForever

Just a few quick reactions from the current players on Twitter. I don't think you will see them speaking out too much about whatever the new nickname/logo is but I also don't envision the hockey program really embracing the new nickname/log anytime soon instead just using North Dakota and UND primarily. Ausmus is this seasons captain and Stecher, Caggiula, and Chyzk are all assistant captains.

They should focus more about not choking in the national tournament than two words and a picture.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not sure I'll get over this, reason being,we have these damn pc whiners telling us we have to get rid of OUR AWESOME nickname that most everyone has so much pride and honor in, then win there little argument then tell us to get over it. I for one dont really like to be told what to do when it comes to things like this.

If you dont like the name, you dont have to attend this school or watch the sports, simple as that!!!!

Seems like the more freedom of speech this country has the more freedom of speech we dont have because people have the right to be offended by anything and everything and its gotten so out of hand and so @#&!@$# sickening. Why dont these people tell life that its offending them and see how far they get!

Ok, i think im done for a while

P.S. GO FIGHTING SIOUX FOREVER!!!!!!!

SIOUX YEA YEA

It's over. The sensitive white people won. It's time to move on and have pride the school.