SiouxSports.com Forum

Vote on your final 5 nickname choices (just ND is out)

jimdahl

Which nicknames are acceptable  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the final five are acceptable (you can choose more than one)

• Nodaks
    • North Stars
    • Fighting Hawks
    • Sun Dogs
    • Roughriders

This is silly. Not everyone has reached the level of social interaction ineptitude where they use thumbs up or thumbs down on the internet, and then feel as if they've accomplished something. For the record I like UND, but haven't bothered to "like" the UND Facebook page, either.

Sorry, I hit the wrong button, I agree with this take- meant to give you a plus 1 in rep on this, but inadvertently hit the -1 one. I think from now on I'll just use the reply +1.  Technology (headshake)

I have been meaning to post this for awhile however I just thought about it again yesterday.  Why do we have to have a nickname?  Many say it has something to do with branding and marketability.  

I live in the twin cities and am involved in hockey here, so am at the rinks quite bit.  When I look around at the kids I tend to notice a ton of UND hats, shirts, etc.  Some have the Sioux logos but many of these youngsters have the new logo. Actually, if I would rank the team support I see from many of the kids in this area it is probably the Wild, Gophers, and UND (in that order).  I notice UND apparel so much here, in every sporting goods store.  I honestly don't think marketability would be an issue whatsoever.  The hockey program alone keeps that strong.

It isn't that big of an issue. Some just raise it as an excuse to have a nickname. I have UND memorabilia that doesn't read "Fighting Sioux".

Sorry to bring this up again, but the petition is all the way up to 3,000, so roughly 57,000 fans are not worked up enough to sign the petition.  How long does the petition need to be posted to get to half (or a majority)?  The majority of the fans upset/acting out on social media will be highest shortly after the event that caused them to become upset so I don't think we need to wait a couple years so people "have more time" to sign the petition.  If it get up close to or passes 30,000 signatures then you can say the majority of UND fans on social media are upset and want to keep the "no nickname" option.  I don't think it will come close to even 20,000...I could be wrong.

Edit:  Looked at the petition wrong.  It's up to 3700.  Their goal is 5,000.  I'm sure they will reach the goal, but still far from reaching a majority of UND fans supporting their cause.

There are plenty of us who realize signing a petition isn't going to do any good. I support what they are fighting for, but it's a losing battle. Yes, I have given up.

It is curious that it seems that the Sioux Forever crowd seems to be younger fans/college students, and the fans that want UND to select a new name are older.  Sure it's not the case all around, but I have noticed that seems to be about the demographic for each group.  What is intriguing is these college students were barely out of grade school when all this went down 10 years ago.  Many of them may be unaware of the process that has transpired this past 10 years.  Which may be why many of the younger Sioux forever/no nickname supporters are willing to go all in on their beliefs.  They simply do not know all the facts.  Dom I blame them, no.  But they should at least get educated on the entire 10 year process and all that has taken place before making a stance on an issue.  College kids thinking and rationalizing their decisions.......Might be too much to ask!! :)

That's a bold statement. I know quite a few people that attended UND in the 80's that want it to remain North Dakota.

• Upvote 1

So a hypothetical.

When this all started, if the no name option was axed right away in march, would the backlash be worse, the same, or less?

I'll play... much less.

If they had just announced "It's time to choose a nickname", I don't think it would have generated this backlash, as everyone kind of knew the day was coming that they'd choose a nickname. Instead they announced "Time to decide whether to choose a nickname or just stay North Dakota", but then dropped North Dakota despite it being a clear fan favorite. That made people feel deceived, and gave a pretty well-organized process the appearance of being a bit of a sham. I think people are really as upset about feeling deceived as about ND being off the table. Poor execution.

I'll play... much less.

If they had just announced "It's time to choose a nickname", I don't think it would have generated this backlash, as everyone kind of knew the day was coming that they'd choose a nickname. Instead they announced "Time to decide whether to choose a nickname or just stay North Dakota", but then dropped North Dakota despite it being a clear fan favorite. That made people feel deceived, and gave a pretty well-organized process the appearance of being a bit of a sham. I think people are really as upset about feeling deceived as about ND being off the table. Poor execution.

Yeah, just the back and forth on this message board early on should have been a clue to the passion that would be exhibited when you have it as an option then pull the rug out from underneath the no nickname crowd. Inconceivable how smart people couldn't see this coming.

I'll play... much less.

Agree with almost all of your post but this process has been anything but "pretty well-organized". It has lacked a big picture vision, leadership, and an understanding of public opinion...just to state a couple things. For one to describe this process as a sham is being overly kind IMO.

I'll play... much less.

I disagree, I think it would have been a similar level. Maybe even more since school was in session and a group of students would have been in place to make a fuss. Many of the people that are complaining so loudly haven't actually been paying attention during the process. All they heard was that continuing to go without a nickname is off the table. They were going to get upset whenever it was announced. You can tell that a lot of people haven't been paying attention because so many seem to still feel that Fighting Sioux will somehow make a come back.

Agree with almost all of your post but this process has been anything but "pretty well-organized". It has lacked a big picture vision, leadership, and an understanding of public opinion...just to state a couple things. For one to describe this process as a sham is being overly kind IMO.

I think they tried to do it right -- the committee was supposed to represent almost all stakeholders (SiouxSports.com notably unrepresented ;) ), there was a public call for ideas, the committee attempted to clearly define criteria and analyze the names, and they held public meetings to winnow the list. I still believe the individual people on the committee had the best of intentions.

But, as a group they severely botched the execution and messaging. So, I completely understand your disagreement.

I'll play... much less.

The "old name or nothing" mindset was in place in January 2012 based on looking at old threads. I think the yelping would've been about the same. 

I think they tried to do it right -- the committee was supposed to represent almost all stakeholders (SiouxSports.com notably unrepresented ;) ), there was a public call for ideas, the committee attempted to clearly define criteria and analyze the names, and they held public meetings to winnow the list. I still believe the individual people on the committee had the best of intentions.

But, as a group they severely botched the execution and messaging. So, I completely understand your disagreement.

And at the end of the day your last paragraph says it all and is what most people will remember from this process and this committee.

This is like a skipping record...   the fact was and always will be be is that the public was led to believe that having no nickname was going to be an option.  This was until we found out that the whole committee thing was a farce.  Just like Standing Rock,  silence the popular vote to get what you want.

I don't know where you got that idea from.   I think most of us were led to believe that the agreement signed with the NCAA stipulated that we had to pick a new nickname, and no nickname ISN'T a new nickname.

The "old name or nothing" mindset was in place in January 2012 based on looking at old threads. I think the yelping would've been about the same. 

Not saying there would've been no backlash, just less. If they'd just announced "it's time to choose a nickname", it would have been like pulling a bandaid.

Instead, they left people feeling deceived by stating that no nickname was still on the table, dragging that out for months as no nickname continuously polled as a clear favorite, then dropping it with the bizarre explanation that they felt their remit was to choose a nickname (despite Kelley having clearly stated at the committee's formation that no nickname was still on the table).

I'm pretty sure that a non-zero amount of the yelping is because people feel deceived by the process by which ND was strung along then eliminated.

• Upvote 1

Not saying there would've been no backlash, just less. If they'd just announced "it's time to choose a nickname", it would have been like pulling a bandaid.

Instead, they left people feeling deceived by stating that no nickname was still on the table, dragging that out for months as no nickname continuously polled as a clear favorite, then dropping it with the bizarre explanation that they felt their remit was to choose a nickname (despite Kelley having clearly stated at the committee's formation that no nickname was still on the table).

I'm pretty sure that a non-zero amount of the yelping is because people feel deceived by the process by which ND was strung along then eliminated.

Exactly, there's no arguing Jim's point.