SiouxSports.com Forum

Football Players Hungry

Finn flick

Our football players are hungry because they are not being fed. Cafeteria closed. All kids do not come from wealthy families who can supply the huge meals they need.  These athletes need huge meals with protein.  Practice and weight training w/o sufficient   calories will cause weight loss. They need to gain weight to be ready for the fall season.  This stinks. I will try to C&P the new NCAA 2014 rules.  They can get meals during vacations but it does not mention summer practice.

What Athletes Will Get Under the NCAA’s New Food Rules Posted on April 16, 2014 at 12:39 pm.

Written by John Infante

On Tuesday, the NCAA Legislative Council adopted Proposal 2013–31-B, which has the following intent:

To specify that an institution may provide meals and snacks to student-athletes as a benefit incidental to participation in intercollegiate athletics.

2013–31-B still needs to be approved by the Board of Directors and make it through the override period. The Board of Directors will be a formality but the override period might be closer. Chances are though that starting on August 1, institutions will have few restrictions on providing food to all athletes on top of what scholarship athletes receive as part of their financial aid.

This is not the first food-related proposal the NCAA has adopted this year. In January, 2013–28 was passed, which allows institutions to include any meal plan available to all students as part of a scholarship, not one which tops out at three meals per day. As a result of these two proposals, the food a full scholarship athlete can receive has changed from this:

• Meal plan that includes three meals per day;
One training table meal per day, which comes out of the scholarship;
Food provided at the institution’s discretion starting with dinner the night before a home game, plus an extra meal after the game;
Either food provided at the institution’s discretion or per diem for three meals per day on a road trip, plus a pre- or postgame meal;
Three meals per day or per diem when athletes are required to remain on campus during vacation periods, plus an additional meal each day;
Energy bars and other carbohydrate boosters; and
Fruits, nuts and bagels (now with spreads),

To this (changes emphasized):

• Any meal plan available to all students;
  • One training table meal per day, which comes out of the scholarship;
  • Food provided at the institution’s discretion starting with dinner the night before a home game, plus an extra meal after the game;
  • Either food provided at the institution’s discretion or per diem for three meals per day on a road trip, plus a pre- or postgame meal;
  • Three meals per day or per diem when athletes are required to remain on campus during vacation periods;
  • Additional meals at the institution’s discretion to meet nutritional needs;
  • Nutritional supplements including energy bars and carbohydrate boosters; and
  • Any type of snack.

In practice what does this mean?

In the short term I doubt many athletes will see a lot more food all the time. Snacks available might expand beyond fruits, nuts and bagels. Athletes who are hungry late at night will be able to call a coach or noncoaching staff member and get a meal when normal facilities are closed. Instead the approach will be to provide more food at the time athletes need it the most and when an extra meal has the biggest impact on performance.

At the start of a season or during vacation periods when training is most intense is where the most additional food will be provided. An athlete who is on a meal plan designed for a 2,500 or 3,000 calorie/day diet who needs two-three times that might get four or five meals per day between their meal plan, per diem, and extra meals provided by the athletic department. Football is the best example. This is a theoretical schedule of activities and meals for a football player during preseason practice:

• 6:00–7:00 AM – Wake up, first breakfast (per diem)
  • 7:00–8:00 AM – Morning weights
  • 8:00–9:00 AM – Second breakfast (provided by athletic department)
  • 9:00–10:00 AM – Film study
  • 10:00–12:00 PM – Free Time
  • 12:00–1:00 PM – Lunch (per diem)
  • 1:00–2:30 PM – Position meetings
  • 2:30–5:30 PM – Practice
  • 5:30–6:30 PM – First dinner (provided by athletic department)
  • 6:30–7:30 PM – Film study
  • 7:30–8:30 PM – Second dinner (per diem)

This is one more meal that the previous rule for in-season practice during a vacation period that allowed institutions to provide three meals or per diem plus one extra meal (no per diem option) each day. In this scenario, the institution provides per diem when the athletes might not be around (early breakfast, lunch after free time, late dinner) and extra meals when the athletes are required to be at the facility.

Again, this includes one additional meal vs. the old rule, the first dinner after practice. On a day off, that meal might not be provided. In both cases throughout the day athletes will have access to snacks like fruit, bagels, energy bars, and drinks like Gatorade or Muscle Milk. It will not be an all-hours, open buffet; meals will be targeted at certain points like right after practice. And rather than celebrity chefs, these meals will be put together by dietitians and nutritionists since these will be the only times athletic departments can guarantee athletes are not eating junk food.

The other guarantee is that despite the NCAA’s instance that these meals are not designed to replace an athlete’s board scholarship, they will do just that. A lot of that will be because of the actions of the athlete. Our fictional basketball player might try to go without the second dinner, essentially pocketing that portion of their board stipend if they live off-campus. The football player may try to grab a bagel before weights and go without the later dinner as well. That will net him two meals worth of per diem, which is normally somewhere between $45 and $75 per day. That does not sound like much but it adds up over the course of a basketball season or even three weeks of preseason camp. More universities might even give per diem rather than providing actual meals for the three regular meals during vacation periods, knowing they still have the ability to make sure athletes are getting something to eat.

This is not the end of NCAA food reform though, and it seems likely that eventually all meals will be provided and funded by the athletic department for all athletes, including walk-ons. Books seem like the first element of a scholarship that will be removed, but board will not be far behind. It will not affect football, basketball, or other headcount sports but the board allowance might stay in the scholarship calculation, allowing equivalency sports to spread that money around to more athletes. For schools that can afford it, this would be one way to increase scholarship limits in some.

UND cafeteria is open for summer session. As long as you are a UND student/athlete you can eat there.

Not a good time to be left trying to fend for yourself.

900 bucks for 85 all you can eat meals.

Agree with your general premise however.

These kids should be fed well and often.

If it is indeed $900 for 85 meals that's $10.50 a meal - maybe college students don't like to cook but you can buy a lot of food for $30 a day - especially if they are living in an apartment with fridge and stove. I believe they were starting a scholarship fund to pay for tuition and other expenses that the hockey players have to pay over the summer (I heard about it last winter).  

Would agree with your statement but after daily drills, conditioning and lifting?

Job one should be a well balanced gut fest.

I know what I lived on at that age(think burgers/pizza)

May be a bit pricey but I know he is eating 10 bucks worth!!!

Glad to pay it to keep the weight on.

Would it of been nice to have a training table?

Hell yes....but alas they don't.

Regular students dont' have to sweat bloody tears for the UND Team

The expression is "blood, sweat, and tears".

If you are sweating bloody tears please seek medical assistance. Blood should not come out of your tear ducts or sweat glands.

If food is as bad now at the cafeteria as it was back when I was in college, it might be better to be hungry. Just saying.

My experience at the UND's dining center was similar to NDSU. Edible. Nothing to write home about.

If you are sweating bloody tears please seek medical assistance. Blood should not come out of your tear ducts or sweat glands.

You are correct and I know that one but was in a mad rush so misstated the expression.  So nice to have a doctor on the boards. LOL

"At the start of a season or during vacation periods when training is most intense is where the most additional food will be provided. " Missed this sentence last time.  Is the start of the season the 2 months July and August?   I don't get  it.  If these are NCAA guidelines which schools are following it?  Obviously not UND. 

I dont see athletic depts handing out money for meals that they dont provide unless the cafeteria only serves one or two meals over a weekend during the year. Preseason they usually have their schedules lock down tight so all meals are going to be arranged. IMO.

Actually, you are wrong.   Here is the quote:

I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat.

Winston Churchill

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/w/winstonchu125017.html#ydRjrmdIasBmGEee.99

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/blood-sweat-and-tears.html

The first occurrence of the expression that I can find in print is in Sermons on Various Subjects by Christmas Evans, translated from the Welsh by J. Davis, 1837:

Christ the High Priest of our profession, when he laid down his life for us on Calvary, was bathed in his own blood, sweat and tears.

I dont see athletic depts handing out money for meals that they dont provide unless the cafeteria only serves one or two meals over a weekend during the year. Preseason they usually have their schedules lock down tight so all meals are going to be arranged. IMO.

I don;t follow you.  There are no meals prepared for the team before or after practice.  If you read the Guidelines you will see that they recommend 5 meals a day.  BTW we used to know an NFL'er. He was huge, which most are, and he used to eat a dozen eggs, and a steak every morning.  What does that tell ya?  These kids, some of them are still filling out, they are big,  and they need food, lots of it.  If Bubba wants a skinny little line O and D he's gonna get it. 

Maybe we could mail them some Corned Beef Hash and then they could buy their own eggs if all the hens aren't dead yet.

I don;t follow you.  There are no meals prepared for the team before or after practice.  If you read the Guidelines you will see that they recommend 5 meals a day.  BTW we used to know an NFL'er. He was huge, which most are, and he used to eat a dozen eggs, and a steak every morning.  What does that tell ya?  These kids, some of them are still filling out, they are big,  and they need food, lots of it.  If Bubba wants a skinny little line O and D he's gonna get it. 

Maybe we could mail them some Corned Beef Hash and then they could buy their own eggs if all the hens aren't dead yet.

Thats for the clarification. I missed some of that in the guideline or misinterpreted it.. And I do agree that they need the calories.

I cannot believe all the football players that came before these poor kids were able to actually put in 5 years of work and win dozens of conference championships and even a national championship.  I mean, they had to feed themselves or eat dorm food.  How did they survive?

I cannot believe all the football players that came before these poor kids were able to actually put in 5 years of work and win dozens of conference championships and even a national championship.  I mean, they had to feed themselves or eat dorm food.  How did they survive?

I think the advent of the strength and conditioning coach and the seperation of practice and intense strength and conditioning sessions has made the requirement for better nutrition a must.

Using that same logic Sioux83 perhaps the players should not drink water during practice. After all it worked for Vince Lombardi.

He is talking about being able to feed themselves.  They have the same dorm food and scholarship room and board allotment that everyone before them had-at EVERY college in America.  But now suddenly kids are starving and can't make it.  How did the kids before them feed themselves and also get bigger and achieve success?  What a mystery.  

Soiux83,

I believe the main point of this topic is that it was strongly recommended (required) that the players be on campus this summer and the issue is with these kids having to feed themselves over the summer workouts, lifting etc. I don't think there are any issues during the season as they are feed and eat at least 3 times a day thru the schools meal plans. I personally like the idea of the kids being on campus and working hard to get better, bigger and continue to build the program, but if mandated then some type of compensation or meals should be provided to feed the kids. Even if its only one meal a day which is better then nothing.

Have teams in the past been required to be on campus for the entire summer break?

Soiux83,

I believe the main point of this topic is that it was strongly recommended (required) that the players be on campus this summer and the issue is with these kids having to feed themselves over the summer workouts, lifting etc. I don't think there are any issues during the season as they are feed and eat at least 3 times a day thru the schools meal plans. I personally like the idea of the kids being on campus and working hard to get better, bigger and continue to build the program, but if mandated then some type of compensation or meals should be provided to feed the kids. Even if its only one meal a day which is better then nothing.

Have teams in the past been required to be on campus for the entire summer break?

It has been strongly recommended for years and the numbers have always been pretty high.  This isn't a new thing and players in the past were able to get by.  Plenty of part/full time jobs available and people willing to be flexible with hours to be able to hit all other "highly recommended" activities of summer.

This also isn't a new point of conversation at UND or across the country.  With the exception of P5 schools and some of the G5, most schools have very limited summer scholorships available and a lot of players make time to work during the summer.  This was a big discussion point for the P5 schools to break off is the smaller budget schools couldn't afford to give a bunch of summer scholorships to all its athletes, not just football players.    For comparison sake, I live in Fargo and there are a lot of FU's players get jobs in the summer to pay for some of these expenses.  Some just get paid for forging signitures but its an attempt at working.

This thread is pretty rediculous if you ask me. Even if a player goes home to mom and dad, money would still be getting spent to feed them.