SiouxSports.com Forum

And then there were 7 (vote!)

jimdahl

Which remaining names are acceptable  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Which could you live with? (vote more than one)

• Fighting Hawks
    • Green Hawks
    • Nodaks
    • North Dakota
    • North Stars
    • Roughriders
    • Sundogs

There is no way I see Dr. Kelley allowing the outcome Moser so clearly described. None.

I'm not talking about letters, or survey, or polling data. (I'm not even sure what letter you're talking about. I haven't seen a newspaper all weekend.)

There is no way I see the man with the final decision allowing that outcome.

I'm surprised that North Stars is in the running.  Minnesota is the North Star state - seems like a reach for UND to be the North Stars.

at this point in the game something like this surprises you??? karl g being a pride man is the biggest shocker so far...of all the former sioux hockey players to put on the committee they found a mole like that...can you image stephane pattyn on this committee???

So, as a casual fan, what you are admitting is that you don't have the univerity's best interest at heart. You would prefer that more harm comes to the university and that vindictiveness is at the core of your desires.

35 yrs as a season ticket holder for Hockey is a causal fan then yes

Really I Don't care cause I will be Fighting Sioux FOREVER U can be what ever u want

Now it's come to bashing people who gave up an incredible amount of their own time and donated it to a project that they knew would submit themselves to endless second-guessing and criticism. No doubt some from the committee are monitoring here - they are doing what was asked of them, sharing their opinion based on what they feel to be in the best interest of UND. I find no valor or purpose in questioning their will to do the best they can, their loyalty to UND or their integrity. 

• Upvote 3

There is no way I see Dr. Kelley allowing the outcome Moser so clearly described. None.

I'm not talking about letters, or survey, or polling data. (I'm not even sure what letter you're talking about. I haven't seen a newspaper all weekend.)

I agree 100% but if I were to choose, which was the question asked, that would be my choice given the names remaining. 

First, let me state it here: I sent my curriculum vitae to Dr. Kelley volunteering for this committee. Yes, I volunteered to step on the tracks in front of this freight train.

Having said that, I'm stunned at how little prior research this group seems to have done.

- They don't seem to realize that the consultant template when moving away from a native related nickname is < adjective, normally a color > Hawks.

- They don't seem to realize that using another (a neighboring and rival) state's nickname is not worth consideration.

- They either haven't, or aren't willing to admit if they've, talked to the NCAA about "no nickname".

- They don't know the originator of "Sundogs" and how that is a direct affront, one last "in your face", to people who supported the old name.

• Upvote 3

She made this comment after this exact comment was made in an opinion letter to the Herald. Either way this is hers and the other person's OPINION! I would think Kelly is more of a man than to say yep, you said it, that can't be the name, that's what it would mean!

Kind of like saying the NCAA won't allow it, but its still there!!!

Please don't beat that dead horse again...

Will no nickname do no harm?

The casual fan says no nickname. They have no stake in the university. They only care about the old name of its sports team not going away. The integrity of the university has no meaning to them.

The stakeholder, one who truly has an interest in the university, is not willing to take that chance.

Kelley will change the name. No nickname is not an option.

• Upvote 1

First, let me state it here: I sent my curriculum vitae to Dr. Kelley volunteering for this committee. Yes, I volunteered to step on the tracks in front of this freight train.

Having said that, I'm stunned at how little prior research this group seems to have done.

- They don't seem to realize that the consultant template when moving away from a native related nickname is < adjective, normally a color > Hawks.

- They don't seem to realize that using another (a neighboring and rival) state's nickname is not worth consideration.

- They either haven't, or aren't willing to admit if they've, talked to the NCAA about "no nickname".

- They don't know the originator of "Sundogs" and how that is a direct affront, one last "in your face", to people who supported the old name.

is there a chance that to save a couple bucks und is putting these committee members up at that hotel in downtown east grand forks, MINNESOTA and these people are confused about what state they are actually working for??? this needs to be looked into.

If somehow Dave St. Peter lost "Twins", would he continue on as just the "Minnesota MLB franchise"? 

It's also not as if we didn't know that his vote carried the no nickname...barely...to the final 7.

It won't go beyond that.  Too many committee members know that is a fools errand. 

A big player on the committee, and a "true stakeholder" gets it!

Did someone say "big player" and "true stakeholder"? 

May I introduce 6'1", UND volleyball outside hitter Chelsea Moser. Big. Player. Stakeholder. 

"Saying we're going to be North Dakota to me means saying we're going to stay the Fighting Sioux." -- Chelsea Moser, quite possibly the most honest person on the committee. 

May I introduce 6'1", UND volleyball outside hitter Chelsea Moser. Big. Player. Stakeholder. 

"Saying we're going to be North Dakota to me means saying we're going to stay the Fighting Sioux." -- Chelsea Moser, quite possibly the most honest person on the committee. 

I'm not so sure a 21-year old from Oregon that happens to play volleyball for UND is any more of a stakeholder than the rest of us. She'll likely not make ND her permanent residence upon completion of her playing career, and had likely never heard of the Sioux debate prior to receiving her offer to play collegiate athletics there.

It's a charged debate, and I'm looking forward to resolution one way or another. I was born in GF, got a degree from UND, and have supported UND athletics (that's a generous description, but I have cut a check or two) since I've left the state to begin my career. I'm a hockey-first fan, Sioux supporter, and hope we stay with the unique, distinctive, and somewhat stubborn "No Nickname" approach to the situation we've been placed in by the NCAA. Roughriders is tolerable, Nodaks would be weird but OK, and the rest are absolute garbage. I think the fix is in towards Sundogs and that is a testament to PC-groupthink and the general worthlessness of consultants in general.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I have not talked to anyone who really likes Roughriders

I'd bet just ND wins

I do not like Roughriders at all, but I hate it less than I hate Sundogs - I fear this logic will prevail and we will end up with a nickname most don't really like just to prevent the PC crowd from ramming something down our throats.

May I introduce 6'1", UND volleyball outside hitter Chelsea Moser. Big. Player. Stakeholder.

"Saying we're going to be North Dakota to me means saying we're going to stay the Fighting Sioux." -- Chelsea Moser, quite possibly the most honest person on the committee.

What did dayo say on that? I dont remember, I thought he was indifferent on the matter.

It's also not as if we didn't know that his vote carried the no nickname...barely...to the final 7.

It won't go beyond that. Too many committee members know that is a fools errand.

All I know is if RR becomes the name, I'm ok with it, it is my second choice.

But, if staying ND wins out I will be very happy, and cannot wait to see your melt down...?

Stay tuned......