SiouxSports.com Forum

Expectations For Next Year

geaux_sioux

I expect UND to compete for the NCHC regular season, NCHC tournament, and National Title every year.

Looking at how I think the NCHC regular season might go.

1. Duluth

2. North Dakota

3. Miami

4. Denver

5. Omaha

6. St. Cloud

7. Western Michigan

8. Colorado College

Duluth will have two very good goalies in Kaskisuo and incoming freshmen Hunter Miska. I think it will come down to goaltending for Duluth to win the regular season.

I believe North Dakota can win back-to-back Penrose Cups, I can also see them finishing third in the league. 

Miami will depend on how good their goaltenders play on where they finish in the league.

Denver, Omaha, and St. Cloud I see battling for the final home playoff spot, and any of them getting it. Denver has the advantage in goaltending over Omaha and St. Cloud. Offensively all three are about even.

Western Michigan will be a tough team to play against like they are every year, I just don't see them finishing higher then 7th.

Colorado College is on the 4 year plan. I do think they will show some improvement next year, but it wont be enough to get out of 8th in the league.  

Boy it's nice being in this conference, with all these quality teams.   We all miss the WCHA, but this field is great. 

I think the goaltending is better on Miami then Omaha, If Massa didn't burn his redshirt his junior year I'd pick Omaha to win the league.

I think the goaltending is better on Miami then Omaha, If Massa didn't burn his redshirt his junior year I'd pick Omaha to win the league.

I think we have to wait until all the early signings wash out before we really know what the league is going to look like.  Miami already lost two big pieces to graduation with Blake Coleman and Austin Czarnik, with the possibility of losing Barber.  I would guess they think Kuraly is going to stay though.  I'm sure a few teams have the same situation going on as UND, not knowing what's going to happen in the weeks to come. 

You said the coach had a good game plan. I'd like you to tell me what it was, since I couldn't watch the game.

Simple question

Unkess they had the TVs at The Glass Slipper tuned into the game, I'm guessing gfhockey didn't see it either.

I'm sure a few teams have the same situation going on as UND, not knowing what's going to happen in the weeks to come. 

Nothing really firms up until the draft gets much closer. And even then things can change quickly before the season starts (see: JT Miller).

Does anyone think Boeser could be comparable to Eichel? I know that would be alot to ask of anyone, let alone another Freshman. Just curious, since there is so much hype over him, and he has been projected as a top 10 pick.

No, not even close. Boeser wil have a great 2-3 years at UND. Eichel is a once in a decade type of player. 

• Upvote 1

Does anyone think Boeser could be comparable to Eichel? I know that would be alot to ask of anyone, let alone another Freshman. Just curious, since there is so much hype over him, and he has been projected as a top 10 pick.

Boeser will be more "Nick Schmaltz" than "Jack Eichel" based on the current hype. 

I'd love to say "yes", but the answer is "no".  Eichel and Boeser are the same age.  Eichel accelerated his education, entered college early, scored 71 points, and won the Hobey Baker while Boeser stayed in the USHL like most other high school kids.  I do not see Boeser scoring anywhere close to 71 points even if he stays through his junior season at UND.

Boeser will be more "Nick Schmaltz" than "Jack Eichel" based on the current hype. 

good to know, still a great guy to have. Especially if we get him more than a season. How about Auston Matthews, any idea where he would compare at the college level?

Auston Matthews would be closer to an "Eichel" type although even Matthews isn't that level IMHO.

Are you serious?  Matthews is going to beat Patrick Kane's record in points on the USA under-team. He's an all-round true power forward that just scores and controls the game. Matthews "might" be better than Eichel when it is all said in done IMO. 

Eichel is a good player maker at times but has NHL speed and a great shot. His true assets.

Are you serious?  Matthews is going to beat Patrick Kane's record in points on the USA under-team. He's an all-round true power forward that just scores and controls the game. Matthews "might" be better than Eichel when it is all said in done IMO. 

Eichel is a good player maker at times but has NHL speed and a great shot. His true assets.

I am so sorry to have offended you... now that you bring up his U-18 stats there is no doubt he will be better than Eichel at the college level.  I can't believe I didn't think to look at that before stating my opinion.

• Upvote 1

One think that I think every team needs is a go to goal scorer.  If Matthews comes here, he may be the best pure, top end goal scorer we have had probably since Parise!!  God I hope he deicides to come here!! 

doubtful from what everyone says, but it would be pretty awesome.

One think that I think every team needs is a go to goal scorer. If Matthews comes here, he may be the best pure, top end goal scorer we have had probably since Parise!! God I hope he deicides to come here!!

He's sure taking his time deciding. I think I'm just going to assume he's taking the chl route

If Eichel stays (which is <5% I'm guessing), Matthews goes to BU without doubt.

I would guess Eichel would be more like <0.5% likely to stay.

I don't think I would be so quick to automatically send Matthews to BU either.  They will lose a ton next year.  They only have 3 seniors but Hohmann and Rodrigues had over 90 pts combined last year.  Their stud goalie in O'Connor also already has one foot out the door and has already been in contact with NHL teams.  Behind him they will have a sophomore who only started 6 games for them last year (not sure how good he is but his stats look pretty average and he will have big shoes to fill).  They also have several juniors who could easily jump to the next level after big years this past season in O'Regan (5th round, SJ),  Oksanen (FA) and Grzelcyk (3rd round, BOS).  So they are basically losing their entire first line, their goalie and they could potentially lose any of their next 3 best remaining skaters (points wise).  That would be hard for any team to replace much and they weren't an especially deep team last year either.

I would guess Eichel would be more like <0.5% likely to stay.

I don't think I would be so quick to automatically send Matthews to BU either.  They will lose a ton next year.  They only have 3 seniors but Hohmann and Rodrigues had over 90 pts combined last year.  Their stud goalie in O'Connor also already has one foot out the door and has already been in contact with NHL teams.  Behind him they will have a sophomore who only started 6 games for them last year (not sure how good he is but his stats look pretty average and he will have big shoes to fill).  They also have several juniors who could easily jump to the next level after big years this past season in O'Regan (5th round, SJ),  Oksanen (FA) and Grzelcyk (3rd round, BOS).  So they are basically losing their entire first line, their goalie and they could potentially lose any of their next 3 best remaining skaters (points wise).  That would be hard for any team to replace much and they weren't an especially deep team last year either.

Yeah, you'll have to see who they lose.  If they only lose their seniors they should still be good.  They have some really nice kids already coming in (leading pt getter at Omaha and another guy that is like 2nd or 3rd in points in the USHL).